Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 20 of 26
Re: Glenn Corvair Restoration
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: April 17, 2019 06:49PM

These stupid things are part of the heater system - they are located behind the rear seat and connect the heater blower housing to hoses that run down behind the rear seat back Earlier Corvairs used sturdy metal channels, but in 1964 they switched to plastic and hoses, to save cost, weight, or something, but these are really a piece of crap. As you can see, they split open where the screws go through them.

I needed to fix these. I thought about replacing them, but, as you know, my goal is to reuse as many original parts as possible. So I went over to Harbour Freight and bought a cheap plastic welding kit - really nothing more than a fancy soldering iron and some plastic rods. The idea is that you melt some of the rod plastic onto the part and then use the soldering iron to melt it all together and then smooth it out.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 17, 2019 06:52PM

So here are some before and after photos.

After welding, I used my Dremel tool to grind and smooth the weld, much like you would do with metal welding. Its not necessary to make it perfectly smooth as you will never see this once it's installed, but I still think it turned out pretty good!

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: April 17, 2019 06:59PM

One more before/after photo - this is a section of the convertible top frame.

In the before photo you can see a deteriorated rubber cushion that is installed at the rear of the middle frame section - acts as a bumper between the middle and rear sections. There was also some rust here.

After photo shows the frame sections restored and the replacement bumper I made for it.

Anyway, that's a sampling of what I've been working on. There are many other things as well - a seemingly endless number of small projects, (heater and fresh air cable restoration, headlight buckets, A/C distributor, top frame, tunnel hardware, etc. etc.), but really I am getting closer every day to being done.

Now if only Kyle would get the body painted! sad smiley

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:
Posted by: William Pierson ()
Date: April 17, 2019 07:23PM

Bill,
I have 2 -4 inch tower clamps and 2-3 inch. Let me know if you need them.
Bill Pierson
billpier39@yahoo.com

Date: May 23, 2019 08:11PM

Underside of Deck lid gets the First Color!!

Meadow Green

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: May 24, 2019 06:46PM

Why was I thinking the original color was yellow?

Date: May 26, 2019 11:48AM

I don’t know - maybe because somebody posted a photo of their yellow convertible on the first page of this thread?

In any event, no, the Glenn Corvair originally had a Meadow Green Exterior, Fawn interior, and white top.

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: May 28, 2019 04:50AM

Looking good smiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: May 28, 2019 05:14AM

Like the original color much better! thumbs up

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: May 29, 2019 09:15PM

I just realized I haven't shared the photos of the restored vent and rear quarter windows. I completed them a month or so ago. The vent windows were not so difficult - just a little work to reinstall the original Soft-Ray date coded glass into the re-chromed frames, then use the instructions I wrote up years ago to rebuild the rest of it. I did find a helpful video here for installing the glass. Probably the trickiest part was installing the replacement vent frame pivot rivet, but I think it turned out well.

Here are the finished vent windows:

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: May 29, 2019 09:20PM

The quarter windows were another beast entirely. Reinstalling the original glass into the re-chromed lower sash was tricky, as it is not a flat sash and the glass must be properly aligned in the sash. You also have to be careful to put the correct glass in the correct frame - the convertible glass is tapered at the inside top edge to assist the glass with seating against the roof rail weatherstrip.

I did a test fit of parts without the glass tape ahead of time and then marked the alignment with marker, then I disassembled it, taped the glass tape to the glass, applied kerosene to the glass tape, then pressed the glass into the frame. It required some gentle tapping with a plastic hammer to fully seat the glass into the frame.

Here are the setup photos:

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2019 09:23PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: May 29, 2019 09:21PM

Here are the final results

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 29, 2019 09:34PM

Better than new!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: corvairsince70 ()
Date: May 30, 2019 05:36AM

Can someone define the "date coded" glass for Corvairs. I have looked at my '66 and my '68 and the glass has exactly the same markings. What is date coded about the glass (and mirror glass while we are at it).

Dennis
Nashville area

Date: May 30, 2019 08:24AM

LOF codes

Bill Hubbell,

Date: October 30, 2019 06:19PM

Five months since my last post! Wow, I guess I've been neglecting this forum. Well, it's not because I haven't been working on the car - we've made a LOT of progress since the last update.

I do post regular updates on my Stock Corvair Group Facebook page, but for those not following me there, I will try to catch you up here.

May 14th - Secured set of used tower clamps needed for heater system, cleaned and re-plated Shown here are the 4" clamps, but I also have a pair of 3" clamps for the cool air hose, as well as a set of smaller clamps for the fuel tank hoses.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 06:30PM

Also in May, we got our first look at a section of the car painted the final color when they painted the underside of the deck lid. I'll skip over that photo for now as I have better photos coming later.

For the next couple of months it was just a lot of tedious body work - sanding and blocking and sanding and blocking. Ugh. Time consuming, boring work for which I have no patience, but in my case I just had to cough up $$ for the experts to do it.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 06:36PM

But even during this phase, Kyle's crew continued to do metal work if they found and issue. For instance, here they discovered the rear deck lid edge would strike the rear lip of the engine compartment wrong, so they slit it and re-welded to make it fit correctly.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 06:41PM

Hopefully assembled by next Summer?

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 30, 2019 06:41PM

Hopefully assembled by next Summer?

Current Page: 20 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.