home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Glenn Corvair Restoration
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: November 22, 2017 04:42AM

Bill my research showed the rubber blocks that Junk showed above were only in 1962 and I think early 1963 then dropped.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 22, 2017 04:42AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nickshu, did you use Eastwood's inside frame
> treatment or cavity wax?

I used the inside frame treatment---the spray can with the long straw.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: November 22, 2017 05:27AM

Here is an old thread on the Eastwood green stuff. That car is still on the rotisserie...no rust yet!

[corvaircenter.com]

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Posted by: 65CrownV8 ()
Date: November 23, 2017 05:22AM

Bill,

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope your house is full of kids and grand kids today.

Glad to see the Glenn car is getting the love and attention it deserves.

Best wishes.

George Jones - East Orlando, FL
'65 Monza V8 Convertible - 355/4-spd Posi
'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG
'67 Monza Coupe 140/4-spd/Posi, A/C
COrvaiR Society of America (CORSA), Central Florida Corvair Club, Tidewater Corvair Club, V8 Registry

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: November 23, 2017 06:13AM

I get a VERY uneasy feeling when I hear the word SANDBLASTING sad smiley, this car deserves media blasting,,, NOT sandblasting. Way too many collector cars destroyed with sandblasting sad smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: corvairtherapy ()
Date: November 24, 2017 01:04PM

Bill, I have just brought home a 1964 Monza convertible with factory air, 4 speed trans, limited slip differential, like new black interior, padded dash, Delco AM-FM radio( I know not available, whatever it came out of it looks stock), oval cross section antenna, bumper hitch and a free mouse. The front floors look new, body only has surface rust and only has a small dent in the right rear corner of the engine lid. It has been stored in a garage since 1981. I bought it from the original owner making me the second owner obviously. The point is it looks to be complete with everything it had from the factory with a few add ons, So if I can be of any help I.D.ing anything or answering any questions you may have don't hesitate to ask. I will probably end up selling this car since I have too many projects left and am getting too old to take on anymore. GGGGG

Dave.. .

Date: November 24, 2017 01:49PM

Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I get a VERY uneasy feeling when I hear the word
> SANDBLASTING sad smiley, this car deserves media
> blasting,,, NOT sandblasting. Way too many
> collector cars destroyed with sandblasting sad smiley

If you have a sandblaster who knows what he/she is doing there is no problem with using sand as the media, especially on the heavy gauge steel used on the EM Corvair. Keeping the heat under control by doing repeated passes with cooling time works fine. Plus sand is much more efficient than other media...and if you are paying by the hour for blasting this saves you alot of dough.

Unless you are trying to preserve thinned rusted metal...IMO if the sandblaster goes thru it then it should be replaced anyway.

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: November 24, 2017 02:08PM

Not many sandblaster's know or care what they are doing ,heat is not the only problem ,it's the peening effect of the media, much safer to use plastic media IMHO .

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: November 24, 2017 03:47PM

Mel, I think it depends on your objective with sandblasting. If all you are trying to do is remove the paint, then, yes, I agree, plastic media is the way to go. However, it will not remove rust.

Anyway, I am working with a shop that deals with classic restorations, so I am fairly confident they know what they are doing.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Date: November 29, 2017 07:44PM

This photo of John Glenn driving this car just surfaced on Facebook!!

If anybody knows where I could find the original photo, or at least a high resolution copy of it, please contact me.

(This is so cool!!)

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:
Date: November 29, 2017 08:18PM

So I found a better photo, plus two more!

I googled AP photos and found this site and then I did a search for "John Glenn 1964"

These are still low resolution, although better than the previous one. I guess I need to call the AP to see about getting higher resolution photos.

Most of this looks to be correct for the car - these are Black and White photos, of course, but the original color of the car is Meadow Green with a white top and Fawn interior and that seems correct in the photos, as does the upholstery pattern. It also has the correct rear antenna, but one thing that is not right is the driver's mirror - the car is supposed to have the remote control mirror (it is listed on the Fisher Body tag and has the correct hole cut in the door), but the mirror in these photos looks like an ordinary (non-remote control) mirror. Interesting...

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 08:24PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: November 29, 2017 08:42PM

The caption for these three photos reads:
"Lt. Col. John Glenn, is back behind the wheel of his car with his wife, Annie, at his side, July 20, 1964 in Houston. Glenn, who is recovering from an inner ear infection, was on hand to welcome back his neighbor, astronaut Scott Carpenter, when he returned from Bermuda where he had been involved in a motorbike accident. Lt. Col. Glenn has just recently started driving a car. (AP Photo/Ed Kolenovsky)"

That fits with the timeframe of what we know about the car. It has a build date of 09C (3rd week of Sept 1963) and Glenn sold the car in early 1966, so he definitely would've owned it on July 20, 1964.

Possibly the mirror had broken by that point (they had a habit of doing that), so maybe he had replaced it with a standard mirror.

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 08:43PM by whubbell.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 30, 2017 05:50AM

The remote control mirrors had a plastic part on the inside that would break, and the mirror head would wind up lost on the road. This is why these original remote control mirrors will fetch $1200 - 1500 for a NOS one. The plastic part has been reproduced.

Date: November 30, 2017 06:20PM

No worries - I already have an NOS Remote Control mirror AND the reproduced part as a spare!

I bought it years ago at a fraction of the current value, sold to me specifically for the Glenn restoration

The part in question is that whitish-yellow plastic piece on the right side of the second photo. It was reproduced using a 3D printer.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: November 30, 2017 07:46PM

Ugh. I looked up when I bought that mirror. It was so long ago that I could no longer read the data file without running it through two conversions first!

I purchased it 0n 3/14/2003 from Earl Jones - it was $225 at that time.

I had really intended to have the car restored and the mirror installed long before now!!

Bill Hubbell,

Date: December 01, 2017 07:58PM

Removing seam sealer continues - before and after photos of the left front corner of the floor and kick panel area. They really laid it in thick here

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: December 01, 2017 08:04PM

The left side kick panel/defroster pipe area is in great shape, but the right side has some rust - see first photo. I think it might be because part of the internal "A" panel gutter is missing (rusted away) - 2nd photo. 3rd photo shows the internal gutter intact on the left side.

I may need to source out a donor vehicle for some replacement body parts. It is my intention to save as much of this body as possible, due to its heritage.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: December 01, 2017 08:10PM

There is also rust on the inner panels of the rear quarters - the side wall of the internal gutters for the convertible top. This looks like fairly flat steel and it won't show, so may just be able to fabricate replacements

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: December 01, 2017 08:13PM

Left rear quarter panel was obviously involved in a minor collision at some point in the past. Panel was drilled and pulled out, then Bodo patch applied.

~sigh~ More $$$

At least the structural elements seem to be unmolested.

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 08:15PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: December 01, 2017 08:35PM

The first photo was shot in 2002 and shows the panels I used to repair the floors. At the time, I merely wanted to get the car back on the road and drive it, so I did a quick and dirty repair. After cleaning the floors to bare metal, I painted them with red Rustoleum and then used fiberglass mesh and roofing tar to seal the holes, then pop-riveted on flat pieces of sheet metal.

Second photo shows these panels today.

Of course, all of this will be removed and new floor panels welded in. It'll be done the right way this time.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.