Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 16 of 18
Re: Glenn Corvair Restoration
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: September 20, 2018 07:55PM

The shop that is doing the bodywork on my car had a write-up in the Aug 13th issue of Autoweek, and there is a photo of my car in the article. You can read the online article here.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 20, 2018 10:54PM

A photo? confused smiley
I count FIVE! thumbs up
Too bad they don't mention it though. sad smiley
Still, any Vair exposure is good exposure! cool smiley
Nice job,
Sounds like a qualified shop!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: September 21, 2018 03:14AM

You are fortunate you have your car in such talented hands. I wish I was close to take some classes from him.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 21, 2018 08:30AM

whubbell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the tips on cleaning the condenser.
>
> As for placing the trunk skin back on the frame,
> they did it the same way the factory did - bend
> and spot weld - you will never know the
> difference. They did say it was one of the harder
> jobs they have done, but it looks great!

I find this interesting, since the hood & trunk lid are the only panels that GM never sold a skin for. The reason being, that to take it apart, you would grind the edge till it separated, and then peal the panel off, as in removing a outer door skin. I assumed that is how they removed the original on your lid. When we had to reuse a panel that was removed, we would weld the edge back together, and then grind to round the edge. I assumed that this is how they were going to do it. Obviously, if they must have unbent the pinch, and then re-pinched it. Those pinch's were never spot welded, just hammered tight. That is why it is a major problem of rust at the bottom of the doors and trunk lids. Looks like they did a fantastic job putting it all back together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: September 29, 2018 12:38PM

Well, the car body is finally up on a rotisserie. Kyle devised a very interesting way to attach the body, as you can see in the following photos:

As you can see, they devised parallel beams to run under the car, and then attached them to the suspension mounting points with fabricated braces. The result is a very strong support system that also braces the car. The only downside is that a small area of the underside is slightly harder to access.

Here are the attachments to the front crossmember mount points

And here are the attachments to the rear crossmember mount points

Kyle says they fabricated everything that is not yellow, and that it is very stable and well-balanced.

I've asked him if he would write up an article about this for the Communique and he says he will.

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 29, 2018 12:46PM

I would hold onto those fabricated pieces for the next restoration. I know that if I were closer, I would want to use them for a restoration. Once the car is done, the only thing that they would do with the steel is to cut it up for another project, which would be a waste of an excellently fabricated "tool".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: September 29, 2018 12:50PM

Wow, that was well done!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: September 29, 2018 02:49PM

Worry not, people, I’ve already addressed the issue of saving the custom rotisserie parts with Kyle. And, as mentioned, I’m hoping to get more details and an article into the Communique.

Bill Hubbell,

Date: September 30, 2018 03:24PM

Setting up the differential:

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic

Measuring the backlash:

And after a couple of attempts, we finally have a good pattern

Here is the drive side:

And here is the coast side:

Bill Hubbell,

Date: September 30, 2018 03:41PM

Stupid Forum Time limit on editing posts will not let me fix the videos in prior post, so I have to post again:

Setting up the diff:

And measuring the backlash:

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: October 03, 2018 07:35AM

Awesome Bill, Rebuilding my diff and trans were some of the most enjoyable parts of my restoration. Looks great!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: October 03, 2018 10:09AM

I would not call rebuilding a differential enjoyable. Considering I had to replace the pinion shaft, bearings, gears, and the constant fussing around to get a good pattern. It has taken much more time than I thought.

Also, with a Powerglide, I have the additional burden of ensuring proper running clearance in the Powerglide which cannot be done without the differential being built first.

That said, I am closing in on having them both done. Stay tuned for what I hope to be a full report soon.

Bill Hubbell,

Date: October 03, 2018 11:07AM

whubbell Wrote:
> The shop that is doing the bodywork on my car had
> a write-up in the Aug 13th issue of Autoweek, and
> there is a photo of my car in the article. You
> can read the online article here.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Great article in the Autoweek, Bill, Thanks for sharing.
Inspirational to see young guys getting into the fray.
There is hope!!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: October 03, 2018 01:38PM

whubbell Wrote:
> I would not call rebuilding a differential
> enjoyable. Considering I had to replace the
> pinion shaft, bearings, gears, and the constant
> fussing around to get a good pattern. It has taken
> much more time than I thought.
>
> Also, with a Powerglide, I have the additional
> burden of ensuring proper running clearance in the
> Powerglide which cannot be done without the
> differential being built first.
>
> That said, I am closing in on having them both
> done. Stay tuned for what I hope to be a full
> report soon.

Ken Hand made me a slip-fit bearing for the pinion shaft which made it much easier to set the bearing shims. It's tedious, yes, but fun when you get it set right on.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: October 03, 2018 06:10PM

Well, you learn something new every day.

I have rebuilt several Powerglide transmissions over the years, but mostly they were just reseal jobs - yes, I changed out the bushings before, but I never had to replace any of the major parts, and I always mated the transmission back to the original differential, so I never really bothered much with the procedure to check and select the proper thrust washers to maintain proper running clearance inside the transmission. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, I refer you to these sections in the Shop Manual (these are from 1961 manual but they are all the same):

This is from the Powerglide Section - selecting the proper sized front Thrust washer

And this is from the Powertrain section - measuring to select the proper size rear thrust spacers. This section also explains why this procedure is CRITICAL!!

In my case, I had to do a complete rebuild of the transmission, including replacing the Planetary Gear assembly (because of worn rear pump stud holes) AND a complete rebuild of the rear axle (because of a spun rear bearing), and with so many changes it becomes absolutely necessary to measure this clearance and install the correct thrust washers/spacers.

What to do if you don't have the fancy J-tools? Fortunately, several years ago Bob Ballew wrote up the procedure to make the measurements using nothing more than a straight edge, clothespin, and cardboard. Like This:

First, place the powerglide on its front end and then apply a straight edge over the rear gasket surface

Then set a clothespin on the rear edge of the Planetary Gear Carrier hub and draw a line where it intersects the gasket surface (bottom of the straight edge)

Next, use a cardboard template to measure from the gasket surface of the Differential Carrier to the top of the Governor Gear

Now, compare the two measurements. The Clothespin measurement should be longer than the cardboard measurement. The desirable difference should be .025"-.045". Usually it is much more than this, and you reduce it by either changing the thickness of the front pump Thrust Washer (comes in only two sizes), by adding shims onto the pinion shaft, or both.

Thrust Washer:

Shims:

But here is where my story took an unexpected turn. When I did the measurements last night, I discovered that I have ZERO clearance - the clothespin and cardboard measurements were identical! This was NOT GOOD!

I fretted about it overnight and in the morning I decided to measure another Powerglide I had in the garage. To no great surprise it had the proper clearance. What was going on with my rebuild? While I was contemplating a complete teardown to figure it out, it suddenly hit me - the thrust washer between the clutch drive and the Planetary Assembly must've jammed during assembly and had failed to slip into the drive shaft like it was supposed to.

Sure enough, when I pulled the Powerglide apart, I found that thrust washer to be slightly deformed,

The washer is shaped a bit like a hat - the brim is the actual thrust washer, while the "hat" centers it inside the clutch drum shaft. But the "hat" section is approximately .10" in length, and if it does not slip inside the shaft (as mine did not), it effectively takes up ALL of the free play inside the transmission.

I straightened it out, reinserted it properly (this time inserting the turbine shaft before installing the clutch drum to insure proper alignment), and after reassembly, I measured out the correct clearance.

Whew!!

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2018 06:16PM by whubbell.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 03, 2018 10:50PM

As a used to be transmission rebuilder I would recommend the minimum clearance and wouldn't worry about going a little tighter. I'm doing one now and if I can manage it with available parts I'll go .005-.010". The aluminum case will expand more than all those steel parts so as long as you have some clearance you'll be ok. Zero clearance is bad obviously. I've torn down a lot of TH350, TH400 and 700R4s that I've setup that tight and they didn't have any signs of being too tight.

Date: October 19, 2018 05:18PM

On the Rotisserie:

Tour of the underbody:

Working under the dash:

Bill Hubbell,

Date: October 19, 2018 05:31PM

First coat of primer! hot smiley

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 19, 2018 06:03PM

New Milestone reached!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 19, 2018 08:42PM

I haven't been idle either.

Starter and Generator have been rebuilt - new armatures, field coils, bushings, bearings, etc.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Current Page: 16 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.