Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 15 of 18
Re: Glenn Corvair Restoration
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 25, 2018 06:59AM

The Astronaut or is that the actor!! gg

Make that John!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2018 07:00AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 25, 2018 10:01AM

Does this help? Let me know if you need more info. This line looks original and is close to what a '62 I looked at has but the '62 looks abused. This is a '64 700 4-door.

Attachments:

Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: August 25, 2018 10:06AM

Yes, that helps. Do you own this car? Any chance you could remove the line and either photo the whole thing or send it to me?

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Date: August 25, 2018 10:09AM

It's in pretty bad shape. I'll see if I can remove it.

Date: August 25, 2018 10:18AM

It came loose at the pump easily but that was all that held it together. It fell apart about half way between the carburetor and the compressor. I've got the air cleaner wing nut soaking because it was too rusty to remove. Will it do you any good in 2 parts?

Date: August 25, 2018 11:50AM

Sure, if it doesn’t bend, I can lay it out and figure out the bends.

Bill Hubbell,

Date: August 25, 2018 01:13PM

Actually, don't bother with that pipe anymore (unless you already have) - I studied your photos and bent my pipe to match. Here is the finished result:

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:
Date: August 25, 2018 06:31PM

Looks good. Clarks needs to offer that.

Date: August 25, 2018 07:25PM

Well, I just couldn't stand to leave it looking incomplete, so here it is with the condenser core installed. Of course, it has to come off again to get restored.

I did spend some time straightening and combing the fins, and I do have Eastwood Radiator black paint, but I think it needs to have a thorough cleaning inside and out and then should be sealed until I am ready to hook up the A/C system.

Is it true that I can probably take it to a radiator shop to be cleaned, etc.?

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 25, 2018 07:52PM

No, I would not take it to a radiator shop (if you can find one, none around here, but VA Beach is a larger area) and have it dropped in a tank. I try to keep ethylene-glycol out of the Freon side of the condenser!eye popping smiley

Just soap and water washing should clean the exterior.

There are AC flushes (solvents) for cleaning the Freon side of things. You might try an A/C shop for this flush. If you were closer I could lend you the flush gun.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 25, 2018 10:05PM

Simple Green makes an air conditioning spray cleaner for the outside, and I painted mine with just regular gloss black paint. You can purchase the A/C flush guns on eBay for under $30, and the flush itself can be had at Advanced, Auto Zone, Napa, etc.. It is strong stuff, and you need to wear protective clothing and face protection. You also need a good compressor to drive the fluid, and to blow it out when you are done.
Now, here is the dilemma when it comes to older A/C units.. How do you add all the missing oil. I was taught back in the early 1960's, that you replace specific amounts by putting them back into the specific component that is being replaced. i.e. The condenser uses 4 oz. (guess), so you put 4 ounces of oil into that part prior to installing the hoses. Same for the evaporator. Just this week, I re-hosed my '62 Chevrolet BelAir, and much to my surprise, when I left the evaporator in the closed up car on a hot day, and it got hot inside, when I turned over my evaporator, it started leaking oil. Under room temperature, nothing came out of the condenser. Now, they say to add all the oil to the compressor, an it will migrate itself. Too much oil is almost as bad as not enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2018 10:07PM by junkman.

Date: August 28, 2018 04:56PM

when I built my garage workbench 20-something years ago, I specifically created this space underneath it to store a complete Corvair engine, sitting on this wooden cart. There have been several old engines that have occupied this space over the years, but never a new engine, and certainly never one fully outfitted with A/C components, so I wasn't certain it would fit, but it does! smileys with beer

I did, however, have to notch one leg to make room for the muffler hanger to slide by - I guess I must've always removed that piece on the other engines I've stored here.

So now it will live here for a short time, covered to protect from dust, etc., while I move on to other projects. It's easy enough to pull it out to work on the accessories, etc. When it comes time to go back into the car, I will have to go through a few maneuvers to transfer it from the wooden cart to the metal installation cradle.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: August 28, 2018 05:03PM

It's getting to be a challenge to keep usable workspace in my garage, now that I have the engine and both suspensions assembled. Next up will be the rest of the powertrain - Rear axle and transmission. Those should be a piece of cake compared to the prior projects - just keep it clean and make the right adjustments. Once those are done, I will clean up the rear leaf spring, finish the heater, a few tunnel elements, and then the underbody of the car will be done -just waiting for the body to be finished so I can start installing them!

Last photo - a detail shot of the special choke rod on the LH carburetor.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: August 28, 2018 05:29PM

Big fun to adjust that!

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 29, 2018 08:33AM

Top adjusted, doesn't look like that big of a deal, Joel

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Date: September 20, 2018 06:02PM

Work on the Glenn Corvair Progresses. We had a few roadblocks to overcome. First, the shop that is doing the bodywork had to take a break for a couple weeks to get their wall repaired (see earlier posts), then we all had to take a week off preparing for, and then un-preparing for the hurricane (which ended up hitting far to the south of us).

Also, while working on the rear axle, I discovered a spun bearing on the pinion shaft and so I had to find a solution. Unfortunately, the spare axle I opened up also had some play, so I purchased an NOS pinion shaft and just finished making a
honed bearing that I will use to help set up the axle with the new shaft and bearings.

In the meantime, the shop has finished all the metal work on the car and will be getting it up on the rotisserie sometime in the next week, and hopefully it will get its first coat of primer soon!

Here are some photos of the completed work on the trunk lid - note that all the rust around the letters (top and bottom sections) has been repaired.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: September 20, 2018 06:13PM

I cleaned and painted the rear axle case and top today..

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: September 20, 2018 06:15PM

...and also the Powerglide governor and oil pan

(this is NOT the correct pan for the Glenn Powerglide, but it will do until I get the right one finished correctly).

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2018 06:17PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 20, 2018 06:33PM

How did the shop put the skin back onto the framework? It is looking good. As for the condenser cleaning, I would just blow it out with air from both directions, and then pour the flush into one tube, and cap the other tube. Then move the condenser in all directions, to get the flush into each tube. Drain all the flush out, and filter it through cheese cloth, looking for any particles. Finish up with high pressure air to blow out the rest of the flush. If you want to double down on the cleaning, then pour some air conditioning oil into one tube, and do the same as you did with the flush. The final step will be to get all the oil out of the condenser. To do this, you will need to put a heat bulb on the tubes, to warm the oil, so it flows. Most of it should come out that way. Just understand how the tubes run, so you get them all cleaned. It will be time consuming, but short of finding a NOS condenser, that is the only way to clean them. Your other choice is the Delco in line filter that will trap and hold any contaminants. It comes in a 3/8" & 1/2" OD for copper lines. The ACDelco A/C Inline Refrigerant Filter 15-1696 With 1/2" OD Line w/o Orifice and ACDelco A/C Inline Refrigerant Filter 15-1697 With 3/8" OD Line w/o Orifice. You just need to make sure that you get the one with out orifice, since they are available both ways. You can install it in the copper line under the seats. You have a number of choices and the decision is up to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: September 20, 2018 07:43PM

Thanks for the tips on cleaning the condenser.

As for placing the trunk skin back on the frame, they did it the same way the factory did - bend and spot weld - you will never know the difference. They did say it was one of the harder jobs they have done, but it looks great!

Bill Hubbell,

Current Page: 15 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.