Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 14 of 18
Re: Glenn Corvair Restoration
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: August 19, 2018 06:47PM

Gentlemen, we have an engine!!smileys with beer

(yes, I know I don't have all the bolts in the top cover - thank you very much).

I should be able to finish it pretty quickly now as almost all the other parts are ready to go on, or if not, I have something I can install until they are ready.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2018 06:50PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: August 19, 2018 07:45PM

Looks great Bill!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: August 20, 2018 05:48AM

Engine looks great Bill! As said before here... The Corvair engine is such a beautiful sight, it's a shame to hide it under all the acres of engine tin.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: August 22, 2018 09:12PM

I'm getting closer to completing the engine rebuild. Tonight I worked on the exhaust manifolds and lower shrouds. Earlier in the week I attached most of the upper shrouds and some of the accessories. I am test fitting all of the parts, even if I haven't had a chance to fully restore some of them. You might notice a few exterior pieces that I still need to work on, such as valve covers, oil pan, etc.

If you look carefully, you will see factory A/C parts. Look for the special choke rod on the LH carburetor.

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 09:14PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: August 22, 2018 09:21PM

Tomorrow I hope to complete this project. I still need to install the generator, fuel pump and lines, carb cross-shaft*, Vacuum balance tube*, Air Cleaners, Fast Idle Solenoid*, A6 Compressor, Distributor, oil filter, belts, and miscellaneous small parts.

I wasn't planning on test-starting the engine right away - I don't know how long it might be before the car will be ready and I hate to have the engine sitting around with gas and oil inside, plus I plan on changing the oil pan and valve covers once I get the others restored. Besides which I haven't gotten around to working on the transmission yet and I would need to install a torque converter to start the engine.

However, I'm open to changing my mind about that if somebody gives me some good arguments to the contrary.

*these parts not yet restored

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 09:23PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: August 22, 2018 09:29PM

In the meantime, disaster was narrowly averted at Yokum's shop, where my Convertible body is undergoing restoration. The waste management truck ran into the wall of the building yesterday and almost took the whole building down!eye popping smiley

Look at the steel roof beam in the second photo - a couple more inches and that would've come crashing down and taken the roof with it!angry smiley

So, they have suspended work, moved most of the cars to safety, and shored up the beam (last photo), dealing with the police and insurance company to try to get the building fixed.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: August 23, 2018 05:19AM

eye popping smiley

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: August 23, 2018 06:03AM

Oh my! Bet somebody looses their job over that!

Im glad that it didnt collapse. Would have been terrible after all that work!

Hopefully they can still finish up your car soon!

Sorry

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 23, 2018 07:34AM

That looks like a steel framed window that probably kept the wall from crumbling.

My Dad was a sales manager for a company that made steel framed windows in the 40's thru the 60's. I remember him telling me about a complaint about the windows binding when opened or closed in a government building. He was an architectural engineer and when he inspected the building he found the cement load bearing beams were failing and the the windows were holding up the roof!!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 23, 2018 08:12PM

Welcome to the club. A post office 24 foot truck put a front wheel into my smaller shop building, taking a section of the brick wall with it. Spray booth held roof up! It was a home made booth of 2 x 4 construction, tied to ceiling joists. My larger building down the block had a wood truss failure and the brick wall moved out 6 inches at at the top, but did not fall.

Glad no cars or people got hurt at Yokum's shop!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: August 23, 2018 08:23PM

Holy cow Bill that was lucky! I see they did some quick fab to make a support there, nice work!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: radicalbuff ()
Date: August 23, 2018 09:33PM

You are doing such a nice job on your restoration! Good luck with the steps!

I love driving our 64 Monza convertible! We get lots of thumbs up and we give a lot of rides to friends and family.

"Bucket List Project Manager!"
Deb ... Riverton, Utah

My 64 Corvair Blog [radicalbuff.wordpress.com]

Date: August 24, 2018 07:42PM

The engine is essentially assembled - not really, but good enough for now. I will have to remove a number of accessory items to restore them, but I wanted to assemble everything now so I could see how it all goes together and to take inventory of any parts that I might be missing or need repair. This is probably the first time this engine has been this complete in 40+ years - you have to remember it was not in the car when I purchased it and it was missing many pieces, but the core components (crank, case, etc.) are still the original parts.

Also, I have not installed the condenser, just its shrouding. Also, none of the decals or stickers have been installed.

Still, if you've never seen a (mostly) fully assembled Factory AC engine outside of a car before, this is a rare opportunity to see just how crazy an affair it is! It really looks like some Rube Goldberg contraption - not very pretty, I have to admit, although some of that ugliness will improve when I restore the remaining parts.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: August 24, 2018 07:44PM

Some detail of the rear end.

That A/C equipment is a rear bear to install. The A6 Compressor is extremely heavy - maybe not quite as much as the crankshaft, but close for sure!.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: August 24, 2018 07:48PM

Some shots of the left side and top of the engine. Without the condenser core, you can see how the condenser shroud fits over the top of the blower, etc.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: August 24, 2018 07:57PM

I discovered the right fuel line had to be removed to install the A6 Compressor. I don't see a separate Clark's listing for that line on early model A/C cars, so I guess I will just have to bend it to fit.

In the original dealer installation instructions it mentions replacing this line with another part that was supplied with the dealer A/C kit. If anybody has a Factory AC car with the original right gas line I would appreciate a photo of it (or buy it from you if you like).

How do you like my original Fast Idle Solenoid? It does work!

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2018 07:59PM by whubbell.

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 24, 2018 08:33PM

Fine if it was onthe car when Scott owned it!!! gg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 24, 2018 08:33PM

Bill, I have seen the right fuel line bent to where it fits between the fan and right carburetor then makes two turns to the right to fit the inlet of the carburetor.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: August 25, 2018 04:05AM

Matt - who is Scott???

Frank - Yes, that is correct for '66-69, but not for earlier years. See this photo from the Assembly manual for dealer install.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:
Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: August 25, 2018 05:54AM

Thank you for posting pics of this engine, I very much enjoy seeing this unique piece come together. I just can believe how much new engineering went into this car and then it was canned. It is such a great design, in my opinion it still hold up today. I would love to male a modern interpretation of a corvair.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Current Page: 14 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.