Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 11 of 15
Re: Glenn Corvair Restoration
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: June 27, 2018 09:16PM

In case some of you are wondering about my formulas,

Area of a cylinder = circumference of the circle x height = 2πr, but since 2r = diameter, the formula can be represented as πd

Area of a trapezoid - in this special case, we have two identical trapezoids (the inside of the ends of the tip), and we can represent the trapezoid as a rectangle with two right angle triangles on either side. Since we have two identical trapezoids, we can "reposition" the triangles from one trapezoid to the other to turn them both into rectangles, and then the area of both trapezoids is simply the (length of the base plus the length of the top) multiplied by the height. See attached photo.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 28, 2018 07:11AM

whubbell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the meantime, back at Yokum's shop, work
> progresses on the body. Now that the floors are
> done they have turned attention to other areas.
> This week the battery box was repaired, as well as
> the top well and the right door pillar. Here are
> photos of the battery box repair -the back and
> bottom were replaced with new metal which was
> seamlessly melded to the original side and top
> sections.

I just noticed that the holes in the side of the battery box are not there. The holes were for the two "3 gang" vent tubes for the battery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: June 28, 2018 07:31AM

The battery was not vented until approximately March of 1964 - this car was produced the 3rd week of September, 1963, so it would not have had vented battery and therefore there should be no hole in the battery box for the vent tubes.

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 28, 2018 08:20AM

whubbell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Several parts not yet plated. This is very time
> consuming sad smiley

Looking great!

I've done a bit of Copy-Cad and Zinc plating with the Caswell products. When doing the zinc I always needed a quick brushing with a small brass brush if I wanted them to shine like your's. I never quite got the right sheen without a little manual brushing.

I see Caswell has an all new kit so maybe the process is easier to use now. I haven't plated since I moved to the new location (7 years).

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Date: June 28, 2018 08:55AM

Yes, I also had an older kit years ago with similar disappointing results, but the new kit, which is also more expensive and more complicated, does produce better results. They now place more emphasis on using a regulated power supply and calculating surface areas.

It also helps to give the parts a quick dip in the 5% Muriatic Acid bath after plating, and then, if you really want them to shine and be more corrosion resistant, a quick dip into their blue chromate solution.

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: June 28, 2018 09:37AM

The amount of time and effort you are going through to preserve/restore this piece of history is phenomenal.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Date: July 02, 2018 01:37PM

If you really think your car is rust-free, you probably haven't cut it open...

First photo - lower part of left rear quarter panel cut away -underlying rocker panel has been blasted, not yet repaired

Second photo -test fitting quarter panel patch panel (made in shop)

Third photo - hand made patch panel for lower right rear quarter panel

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: July 02, 2018 02:10PM

You need to teach a class in metal shaping. Sign me up.

Tom Cepak
DFW, TX

Date: July 02, 2018 04:47PM

Ha! Well, I’m not the one doing the bodywork - that would be Kyle Yokum and his crew at Yokum’s Signature Hot Rods.

And as a matter of fact, Kyle does teach classes on the subject.

(I just pay him $$$$)eye popping smiley

Bill Hubbell,

Date: July 04, 2018 06:49PM

Finally! I have re-plated all of the hardware for the front suspension. Missing from this photo is the hardware for the strut rods, but I showed that to you in a prior photo.

Top Row L to R: Sway Bar Bolts and Spacer, Shims for Upper Control Arm, Upper Control Arm Bushing Bolts, Lower Control Arm Bolts and nuts

2nd Row: Steering Knuckle Bolts, Upper Control Arm Cross-shaft bolts, Shock Absorber bolts, Upper Control Arm Bushing Washers

Third Row: Front Crossmember Bumper Bolts, Brake Cylinder push rods, Metal Tag found on front crossmember (no markings on tag)

Bottom Section: Front and Rear Brake Drum Hardware - all re-plated except springs, which were stripped and repainted.

The plating turned out pretty well, considering its a home job. Many long hours spent outside in the garage in 90+ degree/high humidity Virginia weather.

Soon I will start rebuilding some of the front suspension but probably not all just yet because I really have no place to put the fully assembled unit yet - garage space is tight and I need room to work on other assemblies so the clean parts are mostly consigned to the FROG (Finished Room Over Garage) until I need them downstairs.

Just to make things more interesting, I got the crankshaft and cylinder heads back from the machine shop yesterday, and all of the engine sheet metal back from the powdercoater, and all the new engine parts from Clarks arrived a few weeks ago, so now I have tons of parts and material to assemble -

But so little time sad smiley

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:
Posted by: cepak ()
Date: July 04, 2018 08:14PM

Looking really good. The photo makes it look like you copper plated them. Then again, it could just be me.

Tom Cepak
DFW, TX

Date: July 04, 2018 08:32PM

No, they are zinc plated, but it's really hard to get a good photo of something that reflective - also I think the lighting indoors has a yellow tint.

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 04, 2018 09:04PM

Where are the wheel weights? Is it safe to assume that you are going to be using genuine General Motors wheel weighs? smiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: July 05, 2018 03:15AM

Arrrgh! That reminds me - I forgot about the muffler bearings!!grinning smiley

Bill Hubbell,

Date: July 05, 2018 05:40AM

Assembled Right Front Brake.

I was also going to attach the wheel hub but I seem to have misplaced the wheel bearing nuts sad smiley

And yes, I know I haven't bent over the locking tabs for the Anchor Pin. I'll do that later.

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 05:42AM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: July 05, 2018 08:52PM

Beautiful work!!

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 05, 2018 09:58PM

What did the factory wheel weights look like?

Date: July 06, 2018 04:34AM

Front Suspension (mostly) assembled yesterday - still need to add the stabilizer bar, steering linkage, left brake, wheel hubs. Man, that sucker is heavy! Fortunately I have a set of wheel dollies that work well for rolling it around the garage until the day comes when we are ready to reinstall it.

Oh yeah, I found my spindle nuts smiling bouncing smiley

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: July 06, 2018 04:35AM

Wow Bill looking amazing!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: July 06, 2018 04:39AM

Detail of the shocks and springs, and hardware

Yes, those are NOS numbers correct Factory Stock Delco Spiral shocks!

And yes, those are the original springs (powder coated silver) - still very strong - trust me, they were a bear to install!!

The strut rod bushings are reproduced original style bushings - not the aftermarket bushing which "look wrong" I bought a supply of them several years ago from somebody who had reproduced them - very nice!!

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Current Page: 11 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.