Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 13 of 17
Re: Glenn Corvair Restoration
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: August 09, 2018 07:50PM

Body work is getting close to being done. They are finishing up the doors this week and after that there are just a few small floor dents and the trunk lid. We are starting to discuss paint!

First photo - driver's door has been removed for repair - look how strong those rocker panels are!!!smiling bouncing smiley

Second photo - passenger door has been repaired and reinstalled - lines up perfectly - no latch is holding it in place!!

Third photo - battery box finished - battery hold-down bracket installed

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 09, 2018 07:57PM

I've been working on the rear axles - rebuilt two rear wheel bearings, cleaned and stripped the shafts. While I am waiting for the paint to dry I got started on the engine rebuild. Today I forced myself to Plastiguage the main bearings and the camshaft journals. I was pleased with the results - have slightly less than .002" clearance on all main bearings and about .003" on the cam journals.

If the weather cooperates (not too hot) and the wife doesn't need me for something else, I hope to start the engine assembly in earnest this weekend. I finally have all my parts back from the powder coater and I've painted just about everything else I need, although I'm sure I'll discover something I've forgotten.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: August 14, 2018 05:46PM

Rear Suspension is fully assembled. Sorry for the poor photo - I'll try to take some better ones later.

The cardboard tubes are protecting the painted axles. My research and inspection of the Lambrecht Corvair lead me to conclude that the axle shafts were left in bare steel, hence the use of Eastwood Detail Grey paint (bare steel color)

In the meantime, the last bit of metal work is being done at Yokum's Signature Hot Rods. Perhaps later this week it will be sent back for a touch-up blasting and then primer coat before the final block sanding, priming and painting begins!

I'd better get busy building the engine (just as soon as my replacement bearings arrive).

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 14, 2018 07:58PM

Wow! Never seen a trunk lid taken apart before!eye popping smiley

You will have to take the axles out of the backing plates to reassemble the drivetrain....winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: August 14, 2018 09:10PM

Yes, I know, but the suspension will initially be installed in the car temporarily without the drivetrain once the car is painted to facilitate bringing it home. Then I’ll put the car up on the lift, remove the suspension to install everything on the underbody, then reinstall suspension and drivetrain.

All part of a master plan.

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: August 15, 2018 04:43AM

Coming along nicely Bill. Plastigauge clearances look identical to what mine were.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: August 15, 2018 05:51AM

I wish I had the gumption to do that do my hood! That guy does great work.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 15, 2018 06:38AM

That is the early design hood, with the push in letters. GM, in their infinite wisdom, put foam between the inner and outer panel. The foam held the water, and caused the front lip to rust around the letter. When I had my very early Spyder repainted, they would wash the car in preparation of my picking it up, and the next day, the hood would blister. They painted the hood twice, before they realized what was happening. I got a later design 1964 hood, that has the letters retained by stamped nuts, and used that. I had NOS early design 1964 hood, and didn't use it knowing that it was just going to rust like the first one. The only other thing to do, was to take the NOS hood, and cut out the front section, remove the foam, and then weld it back together. I gave that some thought, but decided that it might not work out as well as planned, due to welding warping on such a large panel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: August 15, 2018 07:05AM

Yup! There was a large piece of foam in there all right. It will not be replaced when the hood is put back together. In fact, I’ll probably just install the letters with silicone or some other sealant, rather than push them into clips. However, due to the historic nature of this car, I could not simply “upgrade” it to the latter style.

As for the difficulty of removing and repairing such a large panel - well, that’s why I’m leaving that up to the experts.

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 15, 2018 01:37PM

I'll bet you can find some chemical that will dissolve the foam.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 15, 2018 01:45PM

You could probably dissolve the foam using something like acetone, but you have no way of knowing what harm it will do long term.
If I were inclined to do a repair like this, I would search out a rusted one, and see if it were possible to cut a section out from the underside, remove the foam, and then weld back the section, grind, prime, sand & paint.
Bill.. if you have a picture of the piece of foam that you removed, I would appreciate seeing it. thanks Junk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: August 15, 2018 01:58PM

Went out and checked my hood, whew, I have the bolted kind so no foam!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: August 15, 2018 05:17PM

Engine rebuilding - Take Two

New set of bearings arrived today. This time I was careful to check them very carefully before I assembled the case.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: August 15, 2018 05:31PM

We have a successful launch! It was not without some drama, however. I had the case almost bolted together - 7 of the 8 bolts, but then I could not find the nut for the 8th bolt! I looked EVERYWHERE!! It was not to be found! The Corvair Gods are still apparently messing with me.

Fortunately I was able to run over to another club member's house an pick up an extra nut. That only set me back another hour, so this is all the further I got today. But at least the project is started and hopefully will proceed further without incident (Please, Corvair Gods? Pretty Please?)

For those of you about to tell me the Powerglide bell housing cannot support the weight of the engine on this engine stand - don't bother. I built my last engine (also a Powerglide) on this stand and I had no problems.

But, if it makes you feel better, at night I do rest the rear of the engine on my work table.

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2018 05:36PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: August 15, 2018 05:34PM

Here is another advantage of putting it one the stand - I can cover it with a plastic bag when I am not working on it - protects it from dust and other crap.

For the moment, I have drilled holes into the side of my work bench for the rear housing studs to enter. As I get further along and add the rear motor hanger I will make a different arrangement to rest the rear of the engine on when I am not working on it.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: August 16, 2018 07:37PM

Here are photos of the foam insert - bottom and top views

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 07:37PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: August 16, 2018 07:54PM

Trunk lid frame - completed metal work, then coated inside with POR 15

Corvair Gods were good to me today - I got all rings installed on pistons and all pistons inserted into cylinders without incident. Hopefully tomorrow I can start installing them onto crank.

I remember the time when I could do all of this in just one weekend. Sigh - I am not so fast anymore.

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 07:55PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: August 17, 2018 07:39PM

Trunk Lid Skin repaired

3rd photo is "before" for comparison. There were rust-throughs around the letters slots. The second photo shows some letters sitting in the slots so you can get an idea how much nicer it looks

We've decided to reinstall the foam piece - now that the rust has been removed and the inside areas treated with POR-15 and painted it is not likely to ever rust again. In any event, it would take a very long time. I am not certain why GM placed the foam inside, but I'm trying to stay authentic as much as possible, so...

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: August 17, 2018 07:44PM

And, the Corvair Gods smiled upon me once again, allowing me a few hours at the end of the day to install the cylinder assemblies.

Moving right along!

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: August 17, 2018 07:52PM

Looks great Bill!

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa

Current Page: 13 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.