Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 18 of 18
Re: Glenn Corvair Restoration
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 07, 2018 09:18AM

As others said getting all the wrinkles and puckers out is a job.

I have an upholstery supply place near me so I picked up some of the light padding - looks like cotton candy. I cut that and work it into different areas to get a smooth fit. Yeah covers partly off several times to add stuffing. A LOT of work, but very rewarding once the seat cover is finally done.

You'll need a couple boxes of Bandaids for you hands - LOL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: December 08, 2018 04:50AM

The fingers definitely take a hit...

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Date: January 06, 2019 04:45PM

angry smileyangry smileyangry smiley

Here are the two completed bucket seats. They are arranged as if they were installed in the car, so when looking at the front of them, the driver's seat is on the right side of photo and passenger seat on left of photo. When looking at the back, the driver' side is on left of photo, and passenger side on right of photo.

I worked on the passenger seat back today - did it twice and I am still unhappy with it. If you look closely at the bottom of the seat backs, the passenger side is higher than the driver side.

This is a very aggravating job as there are no clear instructions on how to find the proper vertical position when attaching this piece of upholstery:
    [*] Clark's instructions are vague - "It is advisable to carefully pull the new cover over the frame and padding into its final position to make sure you know where to put the rings on the wire."
    [*] Likewise, the November 2002 CORSA Communique article is equally vague: "We temporarily put the cover on the seat back to determine the correct amount of filling and where to position the seams..."
    [*] I also viewed several videos that purported to offer advice about installing this type of cover. None of them offered clear advice about how to properly position this cover. Mostly they just put it on without discussing how they lined it up.

Basically, I tried all of these suggestions (including measuring) and I still ended up with covers with different vertical alignments.

angry smiley

So...I will set it aside for a few days (cooling off period) and then I will try one more time. I will carefully measure the difference between the passenger and driver's seat backs, then remove the passenger seat back cover completely and re-install it exactly that measurement amount lower.

We'll see if it works.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 06, 2019 04:49PM

Striving for perfection ...fosters insanity!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 06, 2019 05:03PM

Oh, that ship sailed a long time ago. grinning smiley

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 06, 2019 10:16PM

Bill, . . .
are you sure it is your install?
The backs look just about the same on the rear side.
Maybe it is a manufacturing defect?
I know that our vendors would NEVER have a bad product, but . . . .
Maybe try counting those little rectangles on each seat, just to make sure that both seat covers really are identical.
To me, it looks like the passenger-side center panel may have been sewn in just 1 row too high.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 06, 2019 10:29PM

Yup that is a tough area to work. I took lots of pictures on my 66 original seat as I dismantled it and that helped tremendously.

By all means take a break. The seats can be frustrating.

I always wondered how the company who built the original seats every made a profit on such a complicated seat to assemble. The second gen seats are so much easier to redo.

Date: January 07, 2019 07:51AM

I think it is the install. The listing wires in the front define the up and down position of the front, but the rear is defined only by how far it is pulled down, and the lower part can stretch without radically deforming the upper part.

If you look very carefully, the top of the passenger seat seem a bit higher than the driver’s seat, suggestion there is more material there.

In truth, I’m not sure. So I plan to go look at the seats in my 1964 Sedan and take some measurements before I do anything further with these seats.

Bill Hubbell,

Date: January 07, 2019 07:50PM

Fixed it!

My "cooling off" period lasted only a day - as soon as I got home from work today I took measurements and decided that the passenger seat back cover was about 1" too high so I removed it (SO MANY HOG RINGS!!!!), repositioned it, and reinstalled it (SO MANY HOG RINGS!!!).

Actually the removal and reinstallation was easier that the initial installation - probably because the foam and cotton have taken a bit of a set and the vinyl has stretched, but it looks much better now - the seats are nearly identical in appearance.

Before and after photos below - passenger seat on left of photos. Before photos taken with natural lighting and after with flash, hence the apparent color difference. This is 1964 Fawn (light beige) color

And...I'm done.

"Perfect is the enemy of good"

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 07, 2019 08:00PM

Nice! thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: January 08, 2019 08:10AM

smileys with beer, great work!

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: January 16, 2019 06:15PM

Moving on to the rear seat. Here are some "Before" photos - first two from the seat bottom, last one from the seat back. Note the rust in the frame and springs.

Next up - cleaning the metal

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: January 16, 2019 06:24PM

After removing all old upholstery and underlayment, the springs were separated from the frames and then all loose rust and scale were removed with wire brushing. The parts were too big to fit into a sandblaster cabinet and anyway, my compressor was broken, so I had to use a different approach. I had about 6 gallons of Evapo-Rust (amazing stuff!), but I didn't have a big enough pan to soak such large parts; therefore, I had to make one! Evapo-Rust works best at warmer temperatures and with the outdoor temps currently in the 30s I had to move indoors. Fortunately, Evapo-Rust is non-toxic and non-corrosive, so the method I came up with was safe for indoor use - installation shown is in our upstairs guest bathroom, Parts were soaked for about 12 hours, then turned or repositioned as needed until everything was treated.

I began with 2" PVC pipe and elbows, taped together for easy disassembly later. This was covered with 2 layers of 6 mil plastic, and then the Evapo-Rust was poured in and the parts place in the bath. The nearby shower was handy for rinsing the parts after they were done. Cleanup was accomplished by using my pool sump pump to transfer the Evapo-Rust back into the bucket and then I just picked up the plastic and pipe - no muss, no fuss.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: January 16, 2019 06:30PM

After the bath, parts were lightly wire-brushed. The Evapo-Rust removed almost all traces of rust and anything remaining is easily removed with the light wire-brushing. Parts were then wiped with degreaser, primed, and then top coated with metallic silver Rustoleum.

First photo - cleaned bottom frame

Second photo - priming the parts (my car in background, on rotisserie)

Third photo - bottom frame again, after top coating

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: January 16, 2019 06:35PM

First photo - Section of bottom frame before and after painting. Note in the before side how well the pits are cleaned of rust

Second photo - painted seat back frame

Third photo - completed seat spring/frame assemblies after restoration

I will now let these dry for a week or two before I move on to upholstery.

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2019 06:36PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: January 16, 2019 08:07PM

Beautiful work!

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa

Current Page: 18 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.