home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Installation of 2spd wiper washer in 64 Greenbrier
Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:43PM

With my ongoing quest to make my 64 Greenbrier as user-friendly as possible I acquired a 2spd wiper washer. I am trying to finalize the install. I purchased the add on wiring harness for a 64 from Clark's. I have the assembly manual for the 64 Greenbrier,Corvair Decade,and various hand written notes. My concern is that my 2spd wiper washer switch is not configured the same way that the switch is in the assembly manual. Also the wiring colors in the assembly manual don't jive with the minny harness I purchased from Clark's I am sure that I can make it work, I just need to figure out the wiring to the switch. The minny harness has a plug that looks like a 90 going to the switch, however my switch looks more like a T. My assumption is the one tang at the top of the switch goes to power off the main harness and the other 2 tangs are for 2spd and washer. I am sure that I can seperate the wires in the 90,and put in seperate plugs,( because I don't have a T-shaped plug) to make it work. I just don't know where the wires go on the switch. I have included some pics to show what I am talking about. I hope that I described this right. Thanks for any help.

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installation of 2spd wiper washer in 64 Greenbrier
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: November 17, 2017 04:52PM

I can take a look at the schematic but the first thing to know is that NO WIRES on the switch go to 12V power; they are all GROUNDS.

The original wiper wire goes to one of the terminals (high speed) and the two wires in the mini harness (low speed and washer) go to the other two terminals.

For the circuit to work (i.e. provide ground to the various output wires), the switch MUST be fastened to the dash and in contact with some bare dash metal.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 17, 2017 04:53PM

Better diagram is in our FAQ's

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 17, 2017 05:58PM

Thanks Craig and Matt, I have looked at the diagram in the FAQS, but it doesn't help me regarding my dash switch. If someone has a similar switch as mine, then maybe they can inform me regarding connections. The back of my switch does not look like the one in my 64 assembly manual. Yes there are 3 tangs,but with no numbers or labels I am not exactly sure where the wires go on the switch. Maybe my switch is from a 65 Greenbrier. My assembly manual for 65's is at my house in Florida. Also, like I said earlier my mini harness is shaped like a 90,but the switch has 3 tangs and the 2 tangs closest to each other are shaped like a T. In order to make it work I will have to seperate the wires in the 90 plug and install them separately. I have figured out all the wiring but the switch. Thanks again for the help.

66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 17, 2017 06:11PM

I see it now... you have the wrong switch!

IF you must use it.... read it with your ohmmeter!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 17, 2017 06:21PM

Do you have another Series 56 housing that has the Tee shape? You could switch the wires to that connector. (or just get the right switch)

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: November 17, 2017 07:05PM

That's what I said in my first post. I want to make what I have work. Does anyone know what the back of the 65 switch looks like ? Maybe this switch goes to an Impala of the same year. Oh well looks like I am going to spend more money on another switch. Anyone have a 64 2spd wiper washer switch? Thanks for trying. Craig an answer to your question, I don't have a T-shaped plug. Got any switches or proper plugs for sale. Thanks again.

Date: November 17, 2017 07:18PM

63-65 FC 2-sp w/washer switches are all the same (and the same as 63-4 car).

In '65 cars used a small diameter washer button (3/16"?) so that's all wrong.

Maybe the switch you have is a '61-2 (car&FC) type?

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: November 17, 2017 07:40PM

I know it's not the early 61 or 62 .I have the harness that works for those years. Clark's sells the same harness for 63-64,which is a what I have. I think I am going to be looking for a 64 switch. My switch looks right in front, just not the same in the back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.