home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tribute to my Dad, Richard Hartzler, and his Corvair Life - may he rest in peace.
Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: November 17, 2017 12:30PM

I am home in Minnesota for my father's funeral and we are talking a lot about the things he loved. Corvairs was definitely on the list. My dad, Richard Hartzler, recognized the Corvair for what it was from early on.

He bought a new 63 Monza vert when he was in the Air Force (see pics). Totalled it when it was still sort of new and spent several years with thin finances wishing for another. I remember going to a small town with him around 1973 when I was about 8 to buy the 65 turbo vert in the pictures below. He loved and pampered that car, starting with fresh paint job on this low milage, no rust, bone stock beauty (I think it had around 20K miles at that point). Pride and joy with the top down for the next 25 years.

He was an early member of Corsa and we took family vacations to conventions in 1975 (Seattle) and Detroit (1977) and Minneapolis, though I forget the year. I have all the Corsa Quarterlies and early publications with his mailing label on them and picked up a Corsa membership about the time he let his lapse in the 1990s.

Frustrated that there was no local club, he went out and started the now defunct Siouxland Corvair club in the mid 70s. The pic below with several late models is one of the first meetings...seems Late Models ruled the Iowa-Minnesota-So. Dakota area at that time! Anyone here remember that club?

My parents moved to L.A. in the early 80s and that Corvair went with him. He only sold it when he retired and moved back to Minnesota (I am looking for it and would love to buy it...must still be out there in So.Cal.). He was active in clubs there and served as President of Vintage Corsa in the early 90s. Wonder if anyone here remembers him?

Some of the greatest fun of my childhood were car shows, swap meets and junk yard picking....there was still good stuff on junkyard Corvairs in the mid-70s! So grateful to have had this hobby in common with him. Even as he declined due to progressive ALS, he always wanted the latest on my sprawling and sporadic Corvair adventures.

Last story. We went to the Seattle CORSA convention in 75 in the vert and dropped a valve seat coming down the Rockies. We limped in to Seattle with the rockers loosened on that cylincer and he found someone to fix the head (he was more an organizer than a wrencher...I got to be the wrencher!). Much to his dismay he won the Hard Luck award at that convention. Man, he did not want that award, but it still sits in a place of honor in his silent den. He was a man who took things as they came.

Sorry for the long post. Lots of tributes to him locally and on the family Facebook circles...but this is the obit that I wanted to write and share. Another long time Corvair nut has passed and boy do I miss him already.

RIP Dad.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tribute to my Dad, Richard Hartzler, and his Corvair Life - may he rest in peace.
Date: November 17, 2017 12:33PM

One more pic from the Siouxland club meeting and one with him at the helm at the Detroit convention. Third pic was in the 80s some time.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Attachments:

Re: Tribute to my Dad, Richard Hartzler, and his Corvair Life - may he rest in peace.
Date: November 17, 2017 12:38PM

Final pic...Dad and the Corsa on the California coast north of L.A. and one of me looking across a field at one of the conventions to a lineup of Shriner cars. There were quite a few!

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Attachments:

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: November 17, 2017 12:43PM

Darrin, thank you for your wonderful tribute. Your father sounds like a fine man. Hold on tight to those memories. Thanks for sharing. May he rest in peace.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: November 17, 2017 12:46PM

Darrin,
Sorry for your loss. Those are some great memories you have shared.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: November 17, 2017 01:08PM

Darrin, That's a beautiful tribute to your dad. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana
Fitch Sprint (in progress)
'66 Monza convertible with EFI
thomas.ratliff@indwes.edu

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 17, 2017 01:09PM

Darrin,

My condolences regarding the loss of your Dad. Mine just turned 87 and even though he has lived a good long life, it will still be difficult when he passes so I can only imagine what your are going through at this point.

The last convention I attended was the Twin Cities event in 1977 and it still holds fond memories for me. Spending time with a parent at events like those are usually the best memories to carry with you as time moves forward.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 17, 2017 01:28PM

Richard let me add my condolences to you and your family. The early days of CORSA and the early conventions were a treat and I am sure he loved it all.

Nice words you wrote, thanks for sharing.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: ken ()
Date: November 17, 2017 01:30PM

Sorry for your loss and great story of your Father, you and Corvairs !

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 17, 2017 01:30PM

You are a Rich man with all those fond/ vivid memories..may he rest in peace.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2017 01:34PM by MattNall.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: November 17, 2017 02:10PM

Sorry to hear of your loss Darrin. You have some great memories there and it's fun for us to look at your pictures. Our condolences to you and your family. May he RIP.

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:02PM

Darrin, I'm also sorry for your loss.

I can also relate to your Corvair connection with your dad. My dad founded the Mad Anthony Corsa Club in Ft Wayne, IN when I was a kid. Some of my earliest memories are going to Corsa meets with him. I still remember the first time I saw a Spyder engine bay, and wanted one since that day.

He died in 1978 (I was 8). If he was still alive he would be 83. I'm pretty sure the reason I have been into Corvairs most of my life is to somehow stay connected to him.

Beautiful tribute. It sounds like we lost a great one... I will pray for you and your family.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:22PM

You have our sympathies and prayers.
Sorry for your loss.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:32PM

Darrin,
Deepest condolences to you and your family.
Thank you so much for your tribute to your Father. I share fond memories of my Father and am grateful I could have and restore his Corvair as a tribute. I hope you can find his CORSA and can do the same.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: dogmad7 ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:36PM

May God bless your Family and your Dad.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:57PM

Darrin, thanks for sharing your fond memories of your dad. I remember him and your mom from the CORSA conventions a very long time ago. He was a fine friend to all, and a great family man also. Please share our condolences with your mom, and the rest of the family. May he rest in peace, in the arms of the Lord.
Paul & Sandy Steinberg

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:59PM

I just read this thread. Some really great memories there,and some good pictures to share with us. Sounds like your dad was a great guy ,and a good father also. My deepest condolences to you and your family. So sorry for your loss, cherish the memories.

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Posted by: 180sret ()
Date: November 17, 2017 04:04PM

Condolences to you and your family. And thank you for sharing some of your stories.

Gord

Posted by: Goop Of Oil ()
Date: November 17, 2017 04:39PM

We will be thinking of you and your family at the Corvair Club meeting at Greg's house tomorrow!

Mark Holmlund

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: November 17, 2017 06:48PM

Those we love don't go away,

They walk beside us every day,

Unseen, unheard, but always near,

Still loved, still missed and very dear.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside V8 - YELLOW - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.