Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT Chevy Vega Panel w/215 on ebay!
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: November 17, 2017 09:07AM

Oh man do I want this car! (Wife sighs in background) I can't buy it but wow would I like to have it. Link to ebay ad My birthday is in a few days... hint, hint.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT Chevy Vega Panel w/215 on ebay!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 17, 2017 09:12AM

They are nice.... even with a cast iron 305 sbc 2bbl and PG... friend had a wagon for a family car...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: November 17, 2017 09:12AM

Nice !, I always liked Vega's

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: November 17, 2017 09:17AM

Or a 454" would be nice too thumbs up

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Attachments:

Date: November 17, 2017 09:28AM

My first new car was a Dark Green 1972 Vega Kammback GT!
Fully loaded with A/C Custom Interior, Am/Fm etc.
The only things it was missing was a nice aluminum V8 and a 5 speed transaxle!

Looked much like this one, but nice and shiny!

Great looking but was not a great car. Sold it and bought an Opel Manta.
Sold the Manta and bought another Corvair!~

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: November 17, 2017 09:49AM

I always thought they were nice looking cars. Almost like a baby 2nd gen Camaro. I know the engines had major durability issues. Have there been fixes over the years to make them dependable cars? Our Vairs had a few bugs that were worked out over the years too.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 17, 2017 10:00AM

Grega machine shop here in Denver used to install sleeves in the Vega block. I still have the spring depressing tool to service the Vega head too. I was lucky enough to build a couple of 3.5L BOP engines for swaps too. One still comes around the shop occasionally. I have a couple of customers with Cosworth Vegas too.

I agree with the looks, I always thought the Kammback GT showed its' GM parentage. So did Don Yenko with his 'son of Stinger'.

OH almost forgot HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRAIG!!!

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 17, 2017 10:09AM

With the serious rust issues, it's nice to see them still around. Strange tho. Even here in So. Calif. I almost never see Vega's or their Pontiac counter parts at shows or on the road. Corvair's are seen more often.. at least 10 - 1!

A salesman said the grille on the wagon fender's and trunk lids was for rust preventing ventilation. I kinda like to think perhaps Fisher Body was tooling them up for our rear engines!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: November 17, 2017 12:04PM

Craig, That is a nice looking Vega. I always liked the wagon the best of the lot.Had a 215 AL Buick engine in the garage a long time to do the Vega swap. Never got around to it, but now have a 216/266 Olds in the rear of the Corvair. Jim

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: November 17, 2017 12:21PM

I like them with the rear windows more, but that one sure is in nice shape!

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 17, 2017 12:49PM

A Buick/Old 215 aluminum V8 in a Vega was a popular mod since it weighed nearly the same as that Vega boat anchor four. That V8 did not negatively impact the handling.

I had an early Vega GT company car and it was a fun car, but the most unreliable car I ever drove. Also rusted out fast back East.

I've been thinking about a Vega 215 V8 mod for years. There are a lot of later Vega and Monza (not Corvair) parts that really can make an early Vega reliable, rust resistant, and fun.

Of course that Buick/Olds engine went to Rover in the U.K. and at one time you could get all kinds of variations from English companies up to over 4 Litres. It was about as popular with the Euro hot rodders as the SBC was here.

Go on Craig - buy it!!

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: November 17, 2017 12:58PM

I agree with the styling being a smaller Camaro, I wanted one for a while and started shopping for it, then I sat in one and decided I just wanted more room. I still like them though.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 17, 2017 01:08PM

Reminds me of my friend Harry, who was finally able to order (GM kept changing what options were allowed) new a Monza Wagon with the 3.8L and the 5 speed manual. What a great car right off the dealer lot!

Smoked a lot of cars at traffic lights, a sleeper plus.thumbs up

Unfortunately he moved to Cooperstown, NY for several years before moving to Tucson, AZ. This made it a non-rust free western car.sad smiley He did drive about 25 years it until his passing, despite the NY salt intrusion.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 17, 2017 01:20PM

Back in the early to mid eighties I bought a 1974 GT Wagon that needed engine work for about a hundred dollars. It was in good shape otherwise and I was able to purchase a good running engine from a friend's junk yard to swap out.

Unfortunately when I removed the starter motor from the parts car, a chunk of the block fell off. Apparently it was damage resulting from the accident that totaled it. I decided to simply swap the heads which is all I thought it needed. Unfortunately for me the block was warped enough that the new head gasket didn't seal and I got rid of the car.

Since then I have considered acquiring another to do a V6 swap into it but never found the right set of circumstances to actually do anything like that.

At the current bid of 7K, the topic car appears that it is not overpriced and should make a nice toy for someone.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 17, 2017 01:25PM

corventure Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With the serious rust issues, it's nice to see
> them still around. Strange tho. Even here in So.
> Calif. I almost never see Vega's or their Pontiac
> counter parts at shows or on the road. Corvair's
> are seen more often.. at least 10 - 1!
>
> A salesman said the grille on the wagon fender's
> and trunk lids was for rust preventing
> ventilation. I kinda like to think perhaps Fisher
> Body was tooling them up for our rear engines!
>
> Corventure Dave

Dave - those "louvers" were done by Chevrolet for the NEW flow through positive ventilation system (heater/fresh air fan was ALWAYS ON, no off setting). This was done after GM was sued when a couple died from carbon monoxide positioning while "parked" (remember those days) in the Winter with the engine running and exhaust fumes came up through the rusted floor. Of course this was a back east issue. I remember the news coverage it got.

Eventually the "flow through ventilation" fix went away, but GM sure sold a lot of heater fan motors - they'd last about a year before they started squealing!!

Sadly the issue recently came to light again with the Ford Explorer carbon monoxide poisonings - although that seems to be in part due to faulty aftermarket equipment installation on police vehicles. Ford has just issued a voluntary recall - see [jalopnik.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 17, 2017 01:38PM

How about this?? No rust issues???? ggg

[barnfinds.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: November 17, 2017 01:55PM

"Veeeeeeeeee Eigghhhhhhhttttttttt Vaaaaagaaaaaaaa...."

Attachments:
Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:15PM

I have so many fond memories of the Vega. My favorite memory is when I was 14, my older brother came home with a gently used '73 Vega GT with "millionth Vega" on the door handles. I don't know why but I instantly fell in love with that orange car. It was snowy evening in Denver but I convinced my brother to take me for a "spin" anyway.

As we were driving, I was checking everything out, glove box, ash tray, door handles... We were going through an intersection about 30 MPH on a snow covered street when I shouted over the Led Zeppelin song Kashmere: "Hey Matt, what's this do?" as I reached between the seats and pulled up on the parking brake lever.

I can still hear that song in my head and the echoes of my brother's and my screams as we spun around and around on the slick street. It seemed like we spun around a dozen full spins. When the car finally came to rest, my brother was furious with me. When I realized the car, Matt and me were just fine, I laughed so hard even though he was pummeling my left arm while profusely cussing me out.

If I had my dream car garage with all my favorites, there would definitely be a Vega in my collection.

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Posted by: pulsar ()
Date: November 17, 2017 04:00PM

I bought a Vega GT sight unseen through the Subic Bay Navy Exchange at Cubi
Point in the Phillipines. Picked it up at a Chevy dealership in the states when I got home. Not a very well built car. Very thin body metal and of course the engine issues I did not know about when I bought it. It got me through the first gas shortage and then I traded it in on a Chevy pick up truck. It lost half it's
value in 2 years.

Brad Taylor
Glendora, CA
1966 Monza (Corsa clone)

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: November 17, 2017 04:34PM

Come on birthday boy, pull the trigger!

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.