Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Smoking mystery
Posted by: VIXVAIRS ()
Date: November 16, 2017 02:28PM

I had an interesting if not dangerous thing happen yesterday. I decided to take my 66 Corsa convertible out for a short ride, about 3-4 blocks away to a neighbors house. I made it ok and when I came home I got 2/3 of the way home and it died like it was out of fuel. When I restarted it, heavy white/blue smoke came pouring out of the defroster vents at the base of the front windshield. It was so heavy and pungent I was lucky the top was down or it would have really done some damage to me. There was no signs of a fire there or under the dash or, looking back at the engine lid, none there. So I decided to drive the rest of the way home, the smoke stopped and the car ran as good as if nothing happened. I got home, put the car on the lift and raised it a bit so I could look under the dash to see if any fuses were blown or anything burnt. Nothing. I looked in the engine compartment and nothing. The lights, windshield wipers, turn signals, radio and interior lights all worked normally. I then raised it all the way up and couldn't find any sign under the car that anything was burnt. The heater fan motor looked normal and all wires were fine. I lowered it down and started it up, the heater fan worked on all speeds and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The only thing I could figure was something got down into the heater tube through the defroster outlet at the base of the windshield and made it to the resistor that the heater fan speed switch goes thru and it burned. I had that happen years ago on a rampside when the tubing between the plastic outlet to the heater housing under the dash was missing and I must have left a rag in it which started a fire that destroyed the dash wiring, paint on the dash and front of the truck as well as a brand new windshield. Cost over $3000 of 1990's dollars to repair it.
Got any ideas what gremlins other then my suspects could have done what I described?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smoking mystery
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: November 16, 2017 02:49PM

Was the heater on? Defroster?

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 16, 2017 02:59PM

I don't know what it was but it wasn't the fan motor resistor since you have a 66.
The resistor lived in pass side defroster duct on 61-64 cars and 65 FC only.

The resistor is near the wiper moto and under the pass side front lid hinge on all LM cars. No heater air passes through it.

I could suggest something in engine bay such as a partly lost ground connection
which built heat against the painted shrouding or similar and burned off the corrosion under the terminal? That might explain the poor running etc. OR alternator overcharged and drug the engine rpm down. Lots more ideas will be forthcoming.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 03:04PM by steve c goodman.

Date: November 16, 2017 07:36PM

I suspect something like a paper towel or small rag got sucked into the engine and burned and smoke got drawn into the cabin. As was suggested I will carry a small fire extinguisher in the car a take it for a drive to see if all is well now.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 16, 2017 07:42PM

That was my first guess, happened me many years ago on the way to an Xmas party. My co-workers thought my girl friend I stopped at a barn fire on the way. I guess we smelled bad.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: November 17, 2017 07:45AM

A case of mistaken identity - Anti-Spy was told that Spy was driving a Corsica....
Perhaps "it was the Russians" - Anti-Spy believed your Corvair was a Chevy Corsica being driven by Spy, so a time release bug was surreptitiously slipped into your defroster. smoking smiley

Fortunately you cleverly had the top down that day.... thumbs up

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 17, 2017 10:20AM

Mouse guts roasting on a manifold.
Acrid smoke blowing up your nose.
Tiny spots in your eyes all aglow.
Oh, wait those aren't the right words....

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: November 18, 2017 09:23AM

I checked everything again, topside, inside the car and underneath. The only thing I found out of place was the fresh air inlet on the heater motor doesn't have a hose connected to it. It doesn't seem like the hose in the engine compartment that goes thru the "shield" sheet metal at the back of the engine compartment doesn't connect to anything under there. Should it be long enough to reach that opening on the heater fan area?

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 18, 2017 09:33AM

Yes the hose runs all the way from the engine shroud to the box.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.