home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: FC Cooling System Musings
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 16, 2017 05:06PM

Uh, Tim.
Please read Art's post again.
That is not what he said.
He stated that he had failed to adequately articulate what he was talking about.
And HE WAS talking about the fresh-air hose.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 16, 2017 05:31PM

I do NOT have or ever had one of these vehicles, but I like learning new things (not to be confused with remembering). As for those clips, I have seen very similar ones used on HVAC, lawn & garden and motor home panels. So that made be a generic part the GM just procured, not anything special.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 05:45PM by MattNall.

Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: November 16, 2017 05:52PM

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm really chuckling about all the posts in this thread. Scoops, hoses, plates, deflectors, clips... Oh and don't forget girls dig 'em! grinning smileythumbs up

Note to future Corvair knowledge seeker: If this comes up in your search, don't be like me and confuse air deflectors with heater intake hose block offs. (hint, this thread talks about both and they are entirely different)

Sorry

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: November 19, 2017 06:21AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matt still wants to see a picture of what y'all
> are calling "Block Off Plates".

Me too! Thanks for the pic, I've not seen these before.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
Now I have 1965 convertible as well, got it running in June, autocrossed in July 2016 at the convention!

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 06:27AM by larry202br.

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: November 26, 2017 04:54AM

In regards to adding wind scoops to the FC, I came across this response from Bob Kirkman, prior GM Corvair engineer, in an old CorvanAntics newsletter (Nov/Dec 1981).

"If the engine can get enough cooling air, the thermostats in the lower shroud stabilize the engine operating temperature at the desired level. Cram in excess air or cold air, and the engine will still use only what it needs. What will happen if any of many things happen so that there is not enough air flow through the engine to do the job? Well, I guess it overheats. Will air scoops help? I don't have any experience with them. I know only that when air flow is concerned what looks good and logical may not really be of any value. Only way I know to find out is to test them."

Bob references also an article by Russ Long in the January 1973 CorvanAntics, which includes some good common sense thoughts about FC engine cooling:

"A couple of last thoughts ••• Make sure the engine is getting all the cooling air that is available to it, And that the air is getting out of the engine after its done it's duty. The small hose for the heater coming off of the top shroud near the firewall can be removed and the hole covered with a small piece of sheet metal. This helps keep number five a little cooler. Make sure the heater hoses on the bottom of the engine are in good shape and well secured----takes a lot to Warm up the inside of the box! Headers will really
cut down the engine temperature, By getting the hot manifolds out of the plenum chamber, But your heater will suffer(Unless you're lucky to have a gas heater!) Be sure the thermostats· are working correctly, Replace them if necessary. Check to see that the damper doors don't bind, as this can shoot the temp up. Pre-64 owners might consider changing to a 64-on cooling fan. It is considerably lighter than the earlier steel fans, Delivers as much air, And takes less horsepower to drive it. See Bill Fishers book fer details on installation on pre-64 engines. Finally be sure your ignition system is set to specs, And your running the correct heat range plugs. Incorrect ignition and lean mixtures can cook an engine faster than driving without a fan belt, So keep your eye On the system,

Steve

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 26, 2017 05:15AM

larry202br Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wagon Master Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Matt still wants to see a picture of what y'all
> > are calling "Block Off Plates".
>
>
> Me too! Thanks for the pic, I've not seen these
> before.

Larry, The plates and their location are on the top and the middle of page 2.

Posted by: tomkeo ()
Date: November 26, 2017 07:30PM

I've been driving my '64 Corvan for a little more than 50 years--we've both been through a lot together. Shortly after I bought it in 1967, I was working on the motor and wanted to take it out for a little test drive. I put the engine cover in place but didn't screw it down because I figured it would stay in place due to its' weight. At a little over 60 mph, the engine suddenly got real noisy. I turned my head and saw that the cover had lifted up due to the air pressure in the engine compartment. I realized then and there that the motor was getting all the air it needed.

Tom Keosababian

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.