Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
valve cover spreaders?
Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: November 15, 2017 03:13PM

So today one of the last things I wanted to do before installing my engine, was to install the valve cover spreaders. It had the little butterfly looking spacers on the bolts on the original 60 engine.

Got them removed from the old engine, cleaned them up and painted them, yesterday.

So I pull one bolt take the spreader and a new bolt and washer and it will not fit in the cutouts on the 60 valve cover. It sits to high.

So it looks like I am going to have to grind down the hump in the spreader so it will allow the bolt to line up, for the valve cover. I had a couple of spreaders from another engine and thought they may be more narrow in width, but they where the same.

Is this just a 60 thing? Or have any of you ran into this before?

I'm only sharing the info because I know there are those that keep record of stuff like this.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: valve cover spreaders?
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: November 15, 2017 03:21PM

I have ran into that before Lee, one of my cut out valve adhusting covers is that way, the spreader hole will not line up.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 15, 2017 04:12PM

All rocker covers are not made equal!
There were actually 2 styles and the first style uses the screws, yes they did use screws, and the small odd shaped washer, butterfly I think you called it. When GM went to the spreader bar they changed the shape of the rocker cover around the bolt area to accommodate the spreader bar.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: November 15, 2017 10:13PM

Ken is right. The early 60-62 Corvairs has the covers that will not accept the spreaders. After dealer recalls (first adding drilled 5 and 6 bolts) the factory settled on the spreader bar design in 62.

Lon Wall

Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: November 16, 2017 04:51AM

Thanks so much everyone for the info, and the PM's, sent.

I just wasn't aware there was a difference.

I just shared with Steve G that I believe instead of modding the spreaders to work on my 60 valve covers, I am going to replace them with the ones on the old engine I removed, that the spring spreaders came from.

And Ken, I looked at the engine that originally came in my 60 and it had screws on the valve covers. Well I should say, some holes had screws, others had bolts.

But the 60 engine going in my car now, has bolts, so I guess someone changed the screws out years ago, on it.

I just thought that Dad had used those screws because he stripped the threads on the holes. But by your info, those where actually correct, for the 60.

Thanks so much. Learn something new everyday which is why I shared this.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.