Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
I just Love working on Corvairs!
Date: November 14, 2017 07:37PM

Task today was to remove the front suspension from my Monza Sport Sedan - It had been sitting 'by the sea... for a couple decades. So everything has a surface coat of rust. The cotter pin on the bushing/link between the pitman arm and drag link was nearly dust. So, heat and long handle wrenches along with PB Blaster finally made that yield.
Took a sharp knife to the old brake hoses - that was fun. Now we've got the speedometer cable with it's clever routing bracket attached to the back of the spindle.
Cute little bolts with a #3 phillips in a 7/16 drive head. I love having special tools to do these little jobs - a 1/4" ratcheting box end with a tube for some add'l leverage, a long version of the 1/4 hex drive #3 bit and a small "maxwell" hammer. HEAT, PB, tap tap tap while rotating the bit CCW... Patience, more heat, etc - dang I'll just grab a 7/16 socket. More HEAT and persuasion and it yields.
Now around to the back and.... W.T.F.!! The socket won't fit 'cause the cute lil bolt head is too close to the dang steering arm!!!
So, at least this bolt is easier to get a swing at, so more of the above using the #3 bit setup and finally it comes free.
Now, on to breaking heads off the bolts that hold the suspension crossmember to the front sub-frame....
The two rear bolts are in open areas and the bolt threads are quite unwilling.
One does indeed break the head off, but the other was able to be convinced to come out.
The four other bolts are blind into the sub-frame, so they weren't corroded and they were quite easy to break loose.

Tomorrow, I use my ATV jack to actually drag it out from under the car.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I just Love working on Corvairs!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 14, 2017 07:41PM

Only you could love that dog!!! LOL!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 14, 2017 07:49PM

Dog? Typical crossmember removal around here!smileys with beer

You west coast people have no idea.....

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: November 14, 2017 08:07PM

Yeah, it was actually fairly easy, overall. At least this one was just sitting near a salt source, not being driven year after year until the crossmember folds in half!
I just think the hobby is kinda fun having to acquire the cool tools needed to get the job done over time, then when a day comes to use them all....
Happiness!
All the up and down every time I needed something is part of my exercise plan! And I get progress on a project instead of paying dues to sweat!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 14, 2017 09:10PM

It is cool to have the right tools and a use for them.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: November 15, 2017 01:53AM

It's fun as long as you don't have to finish it today. Working on cars as a hobby is fun, working on a car that you need to finish so you can drive it to work tomorrow can be quite trying. I have spare cars so that doesn't happen.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 15, 2017 07:22AM

moomba32 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's fun as long as you don't have to finish it
> today. Working on cars as a hobby is fun, working
> on a car that you need to finish so you can drive
> it to work tomorrow can be quite trying. I have
> spare cars so that doesn't happen.

Steve sez: Different when you are charging by the hour
and need to finish that car so the next one can be
rolled into the bay. gggg

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 15, 2017 07:58AM

Steve sez: Different when you are charging by the hour
and need to finish that car so the next one can be
rolled into the bay. gggg

J.O. sez I am both appreciative and amazed that you take the time to help, both here and on the phone. Whenever I am talking to you I know I am taking time out of your shop rate and jobs you have in the works. So thanks again, since its been a while that I have required your help.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 15, 2017 08:23AM

Your post reminds me of when I lived in Up-State N.Y. back in the 1970's!

Now and for the past 40 years I'm one of those out West Southern Kaluphornya guys. But I truly understand and remember those kind of rust issues.
The only problem is that out here I have to deal with other ridiculous social and political headaches.eye rolling smiley But at least the weather is nice and the car hobby I find is extremely enjoyable!

Onward and upward, regardless where you live!smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: November 15, 2017 08:48AM

I have pulled the front end down to remove the fuel tank. I found it easier than trying to fight the tank out and in. I can now drop it in 30 minutes and install it in the same time. Nice engineering by GM on that. I do it for therapy, not for money so I can try new things and learn.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.