home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT? Machine Tools
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 13, 2017 06:21PM

I don't think I'm opening a machine shop but it sure looks like it. In addition to my current 2 lathes, surface grinder and Bridgeport I just purchased 2 more surface grinders and a South Bend lathe. Now I have to figure what parts go outside to make room for the new lathe.
Say what?

I had previously purchased an OLD Reid surface grinder but that was going to take to much to make it usable. It hadn't been used for a while before I got it. I figure it to be a 1943.

I went to an auction and there was LOtS of machinist tools and that is an understatement! As far as the other 2 surface grinders I got I purchased the first one for $100! The one below is also in the 1940's, 1945 I think according to the SN. It is an Abrasive Tool Co. #1 1/2.

And then on this one someone wanted the magnetic chuck from it and that went to high for me but I only bid $25 for this grinder and got it! I'm not sure of the date on this one but it is a Reid 2-C.

The purchase of the day though was the South Bend Lathe. I looked up the SN and it is a 1943 13" swing with a 48" bed. This was only $500 and was the gentleman's favorite lathe according to his sons.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT? Machine Tools
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 13, 2017 06:29PM

hmm looks familiar ggg

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 13, 2017 06:31PM

Sweet !
New,(well, new to you) toys are always fun!

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: November 13, 2017 06:36PM

I really should have taken a picture with BOTH of the new grinders in the back of my truck. I have a 2500HD Duramax and the rear spring bump stops were only an inch away from hitting!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: November 13, 2017 06:44PM

The lathe looks like a twin to one where I work, I'm guessing that one was bought new when the plant was built in the early 70s. Probably no reason to change them.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: aircooled6 ()
Date: November 13, 2017 06:58PM

My Grandad was a Machinist in Bethlehem Mine 31 (Long Closed, now) for many years. He had a large hand-made wooden chest with numerous drawers with all of the various bits and other small tools (micrometers, etc.) he used for his work. I saw it often in the basement after he retired. I bet he had machines of similar vintage to those pictured at work.

I got to see the Machine Shop down in the mine just once, when I was around 11-12 years old. It took the elevator exactly 60 seconds to get down the six hundred odd feet to where it was located. That elevator came back up just as fast.

Unfortunately, we lived far away after I was about 6, so I never got to really understand what he did with all of those tools until long after he passed away. I think my uncle still has that chest and tools.

Corvair Content? We had a 62 4 door while we still lived in the area!

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
(Now, South of 820!!)
64 Greenbrier 110 with 95 heads/PG

Posted by: Zodi Davis ()
Date: November 14, 2017 08:50AM

Nothing like a flat belt and rocker tool post for a nice finish.
V-belt or gear driven are subject to the htz pulse of the electric motor.

Greg/Zodi Davis
Sierra Vista, AZ.
65" Monza convertible
65"Corsa turbo coupe
66" Corsa coupe 140
66" Monza 140
65"Corsa convertible
62" Rampside
64" corvan
64"Greenbriar deluxe

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 14, 2017 11:31AM

All just completely cool tools! Just think of the history with these. Most probably helped win the war, and are still working today. Think of all the man hours these have operated.thumbs up
Harbor Freight tools could only wish to last so long!hot smiley

Corventure Dave

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 14, 2017 07:24PM

Hey Ken,

If you are running out of space I would be happy to "store" that dusty old South Bend Lathe for you! grinning smiley

All kidding aside that looks like the one I learned to use when I was in High School.

That was a great find. My dad was a machinist who worked for Allison division of GM. South Bend lathes NEVER die! After they went to CNC machines they kept a few SB's online 'just in case' they needed to make something quickly. He told me a few were still working when he retired in 1974.

I would love to have one but don't have the space at our new home.

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: November 15, 2017 02:57PM

My current 9" lathe is an Atlas Babbitt bearing head! It is actually pretty tight and you can get to a tolerance if you sneak up on it. I also purchased a Craftsman lathe bed and head that will end up replacing the Babbitt head after I put new taper bearings in the Craftsman head. Just in case you didn't know Atlas made lathes for several different places with different names on them.
Atlas is now owned by Clausing in Kalamazoo.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 16, 2017 11:22AM

Yes, many companies have made lathes over the years but I don't know of any with the reputation held by South Bend. My mother's Dad owned a small farm in a small town called North Liberty (Indiana), sort of a 'fly speck' on the map just southwest of South Bend Indiana where the O'Brien twins founded the South Bend Lathe Works in 1906.

One of my uncles (he and his family lived with my granddad) had two SB Lathes and other 'neat' machines in the basement of that old (and large) farm house. He was a machine shop teacher in South Bend. He got a good second income by working on small jobs for Studebaker, making small runs of items they wanted to test!

I wish I had inherited one of those lathes. sad smiley

South Bend Lathes is still in business, now located in Bellingham, Washington! Check out their website!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: November 19, 2017 04:19PM

I finally got it home! The South Bend lathe that is. Loading was no issue as there was a BIG fork lift available. We loaded it end ways on the forks and set it right in the bed of the truck. The interesting part was unloading at home, I had the use of a loader that I could have went to get but the owner was not home and I don't like doing things that way so to figure out another way. I was able to back my truck and lathe into the shop with a 1/2" to spare clearing the door. At least I didn't have to let the air out of the tires!

I have a couple of precarious pictures for you to view but rest assured everything went well. As the saying goes make use of what you have so I rigged up my hoist with chains and lifted the lathe off the bed then pushed the truck forward to clear the lathe. Prior to that though I did lift the lathe and then sit it back in the bed of the truck just to see what would happen, making sure everything stayed like it should. Lifted the lathe again and pushed the truck as I said earlier. We then proceeded to let the lathe down to the floor. The pictures you see are just as it was but I have done some cleaning since. The motor V belts will be replaced but I think that is all it will need.

This is a friend of mine making light of the situation. Gotta have fun!

Here it is all unhooked.

OH BTW, I have the surface grinder all hooked up and running! You can see it to the right in second of the suspended pictures.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: November 19, 2017 04:57PM

Your shop has 3-phase?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 19, 2017 05:35PM

I made a rotary converter! Easy to do and cheaper than a solid state converter.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: November 19, 2017 05:39PM

Yup!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: November 19, 2017 06:01PM

Been there done that. Don't seem to have any pictures when we unloaded the Leblonde Regal lathe the same way.

Attachments:
Date: November 20, 2017 08:53AM

Have you ever wondered how to move a heavy piece of machinery in a small shop? Here is a poor video of me moving the South Bend lathe without help. The reason the video is poor is because I also had no help with the video nor do I have a HAT CAM! LOL

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: November 21, 2017 03:40AM

I have used the exact model and it is one of my favorites. They really are extrodinary at cutting threads. In a pinch I have made my own AN fittings on that machine. I wish I could find one for my shop.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.