home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Did you ever wonder why...
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: November 13, 2017 07:33AM

Why -

- That ONE time the engine decides to billow smoke upon startup. It's in a crowded parking lot full of people you know.

- That hot engine restart with your turbo 'vair at a car show. A crowd of people looking at Mustangs nearby, you start the car, back out of the parking space, and oops - kill the engine. Crank, crank, crank - it won't restart. Everyone is looking now. OK we'll push the car back into the parking spot where we can cower and get the car started. WAIT! There is a guy strutting toward us with a can of starting fluid. A savior! He stands behind the car, can in hand. Sheepishly, he says "I'm not familiar with these, I don't know where to spray the fluid." Haha - its the big chrome breather on the left. Psssssst...cranks and she's running. High fives, a big thank you to the anonymous Willys Jeep owner who knows to carry starting fluid!

OK - what about all of you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Did you ever wonder why...
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: November 13, 2017 08:21AM

I assume it's your turbo? Had it been driven, parked, and restarted under the same conditions before with out smoking? Was it parked on level ground? Often that "one time" happens because the conditions were different than your "normal" operations - like a hotter day, a longer drive, heavier load, higher speeds, etc.

You must not have been concentrating - you make sure you "NEVER" kill you engine at a show! But being a turbo, it was probably flooded (or ever had trouble with vapor lock before that?) and if you slowly held it to the floor long enough it may have started.

But don't feel too bad --why did the Jeep owner feel the need to carry starting fluid?

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: November 13, 2017 08:52AM

Yeah, the smoke screen is totally random. Only occurs about ever 20th start.

And I have owned a turbo for decades. They are notorious for hot restart issues. I normally am present of mind enough to give it some extra revs and not let it die. Not this time though!

And yes, the Jeep owner is not in denial - he knows he will need the starting fluid.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 13, 2017 11:26AM

Are you sure its oil, even a good YH will sometimes drip when stopped hot. Either into the air cleaner or turbo it will smoke when it comes back to life depending on how long it sits.

As for "quick start", I use it but mostly for chainsaws and lawn mowers. I have sometimes used it on cars, but Vairy sparingly. As you will here a lot of banging and clanging that can break things. Some guys here will never use it in a Vair.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: November 13, 2017 11:33AM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you sure its oil, even a good YH will
> sometimes drip when stopped hot. Either into the
> air cleaner or turbo it will smoke when it comes
> back to life depending on how long it sits.
>
> As for "quick start", I use it but mostly for
> chainsaws and lawn mowers. I have sometimes used
> it on cars, but Vairy sparingly. As you will here
> a lot of banging and clanging that can break
> things. Some guys here will never use it in a
> Vair.

Definitely oil. The smell gives it away. Top down and backing into the cloud...

And I had not considered that risk with starting fluid. I have noticed that the initial fire after spraying that stuff is a somewhat violent event.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 13, 2017 11:41AM

Don't spray so much! Just take a 1 second blast..and immediate crank!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: November 13, 2017 12:03PM

I spent some time re-doing the throttle linkage on my 140/pg a couple of days ago. After opening the throttle about 8-10 time or more while in the garage....started it up and all kinds of blue smoke...cleared quickly then no smoke..

Goin to Tn to a car show, the guy following me said whenever I let off the gas, there was a little puff of smoke out the R side pipe...we were running about 70mph or so coming and going to Tennessee.

I must say that owning this car two years, this past week was the 1st time it actally is finally running really fast and shifting perfectly....before it would not even go in passing gear floorboarded at 25mph.

It is so important to re-set all the throttle linkages just as the books says on 66's with PG...starting at the transmission...and making sure your carbs are all opening...which in case...were not until two days ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 12:06PM by red monza.

Posted by: aircooled6 ()
Date: November 13, 2017 03:16PM

quote: It is so important to re-set all the throttle linkages just as the books says on 66's with PG...starting at the transmission...and making sure your carbs are all opening...which in case...were not until two days ago.
Unquote

This is so VERY true. If your Vair is a real dog with the PG, chances are good that it isnt set right.

My GB was AWFUL until I started looking at why it wouldnt downshift at moderate speeds or why it upshifted what I considered to be too early.

Going thru the linkage and setting it to where it should be made all the difference in the world. It was WAY off where it should have been, like a whole lot of turns of that fitting at the carb cross shaft.

Now it easily downshifts without even having to "floor it" at lower speeds. It upshifts better, too.

When I first got it, I thought it really wouldnt matter, but a properly set up PG, shifting in the right spots, increases the drivability a lot and makes it much more pleasant.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
(Now, South of 820!!)
64 Greenbrier 110 with 95 heads/PG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.