home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
blue residue in brake fluid
Posted by: vairTer ()
Date: November 12, 2017 07:19PM

I am flushing the brake fluid from by 1966 140hp convertible.

Discussions with the prior owner's mechanic indicated the fluid was DOT 3/4. The old fluid was dark brown in color. It was probably 4-5 years old. I am replacing with Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4.

I was using a Motive pressure bleeder to do the flush after I sucked most of the old fluid out of the dual-MC with a turkey baster. All seemed to be going well until I started to see a blue residue in the new fluid near the end of the process. I have attached a few pictures.

Anyone have an idea what might generate a blue residue like this? Did I perhaps leave the old brake fluid in there too long and it started dissolving some seals? Or could it just be a strange chemical reaction between the new and old fluids?

Is there a brake fluid chemist in the house?

Terry

1966 Monza PG convertible
Ventura County, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blue residue in brake fluid
Date: November 12, 2017 07:27PM

I should also add that I'm pouring the new Valvoline brake fluid directly into the MC and using the Motive pressure bleed adapter solely as a source of air pressure. So I'm not putting any brake fluid into the Motive tank itself that could push tank contaminants into the MC.

There was an issue with the Motive 1105 bleeder adapter. The sealing gasket delaminated from the Aluminum sealing plate. Here is a pic:

I suppose that the (failed) adhesive used might have contaminated the new fluid.

Terry

Ventura County, CA

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: November 12, 2017 07:41PM

ATE used to sell a fluid called Super Blue that was dyed blue. It had a tendency to stain plastic reservoirs blue.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: November 12, 2017 08:06PM

The DOT 5 brake fluid that I have used in several application was blue in color to distinguish it from DOT 3/4. My best guess is that your brake system contained DOT 5, not DOT 3/4.

Date: November 12, 2017 08:24PM

Both DOT 3/4 (polyethylene glycol) and DOT 5 (polydimethylsiloxane) are soluble in toluene. I've never tried this, so I don't know how toluene will affect the rubber parts of the brake system, but if the residue is truly DOT 5, then toluene could be used to purge both the DOT 3/4 and the DOT 5 from the system. This is not a recommendation, just an observation that both types of brake fluid are soluble in the same solvent.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 12, 2017 08:56PM

What fluid was in the Pressure bleeder that last time it was used? Residual Dot5?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 12, 2017 10:25PM

Pressure bleeder was brand new.

Had been used 1 time on another older car with DOT 3/4.

No brake fluid of any type (3/4 or 5) had ever been placed in the pressure bleeder reservoir. I only use the reservoir to pressurize the system with air.

Ventura County, CA

Date: November 13, 2017 12:29AM

The ATe Super Blue DOT4 brake fluid was removed from the market over 4 years ago because "it was blue"

Can't imagine anything else that could be.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: November 13, 2017 08:35AM

It looks like someone.tried.to seal.the mc cap with blue silicone.

Ed
Hillsborough, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: November 13, 2017 09:14AM

1966-Corsa-GT-180 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The ATe Super Blue DOT4 brake fluid was removed
> from the market over 4 years ago because "it was
> blue"
>
> Can't imagine anything else that could be.

Correct. It's back now sold as ATE Gold.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.