home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Air Conditioning and Convertibles
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 12, 2017 12:33PM

While there is no data to document any numbers or percentages, it’s a safe assumption that fewer convertibles were equipped with air conditioning from the factory than were coupes or 4-doors. People have often asked me why someone would have air conditioning in a convertible. My answer is simply that you can be comfortable no matter what time of day it is or what the outdoor conditions happen to be. If the sun is too direct to tolerate having the top down, you simply put the top up, roll up the windows, and turn on the air.

As is the case with certain options due to body differences, there are two differences between the ’66/7 models’ soft top and hard top a/c systems. One difference is that convertibles have a double cross beam under the toe board, thus need two grommets for the hose that runs under the car from compressor to the drier. The other is the copper pipe where it exits the passenger compartment under the rear seat. On hardtops, it exits almost straight out the corner wall of the floor pan rear seat riser, which goes around the corner in a large radius. In a convertible, there is a floor brace in that location that is in the way, so the pipe for them goes around the corner of the foot-well, along the seat riser wall a short distance, and, using a soldered-on right angle elbow, goes straight through the wall to the hose fitting.

In the pictures I have strapped two pipes together, one is from a hardtop car and one is from a convertible. The convertible pipe had been bent slightly in several places, so I straightened it as best I could. Thus it may not be in exactly perfect shape, though it’s close enough to illustrate its differences. The convertible pipe is missing its grommet.

Note that only the rear end section is different between the two. Here is a close-up .

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Air Conditioning and Convertibles
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: November 12, 2017 12:40PM

Fascinating!

Thanks for the information, 67.

A LM factory A/C convertible would be the best of both worlds for me.

thumbs up

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 12, 2017 12:58PM

Is that a late or early model copper line? I have an early, and somehow one of the lines got crushed. I spoke to my air conditioning service man for the house, and he said that he can silver solder in a section of new copper pipe, and that it will be as good as new. He also offered to make a completely new line, using only the barbed fittings from the old line.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 12, 2017 01:32PM

Interesting - Thanks for the pics.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 12, 2017 04:33PM

Yes. Silver soldering is the method to be used. Those joints can take the several hundred psi that can happen in the system better than soldered connections.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: November 12, 2017 04:58PM

Very interesting. There's a lot more different on verts than just the top, to be sure.

For hot summer fun, I have found that putting the top up and the rear window down works great. You get an incredible breeze but you're still in the shade smoking smiley

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 13, 2017 07:10AM

Greg,

Unfortunately, the factory discontinued the zip-out window for '67-9 cars. My '67 convertible has factory a/c AND still has the original top AND rear window. Thus it has no zip-out rear window.

Junkman,

The '65 and earlier cars used a lot of copper tubing, which for '66 and '67 was reduced to just the copper pipe in the interior, from the evaporator box to under the rear seat (the line that's shown.) The rest of the lines all are rubber hoses. If you need some lines, I have a lot of them in stock. Would need some pictures and dimensions to tell if I have what you need, though. PM me.

-Mark

Attachments:

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 13, 2017 05:46PM

So an air conditioned 69 vert. with zippered rear window, cruise and a 140 would be worth building?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.