home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
is my exhaust packing gone?
Posted by: vairTer ()
Date: November 11, 2017 07:02PM

Poking around under my 1966 140hp and saw the exhaust packing between the manifold and the exhaust pipe that looked like this:

Looks like not much of it is left.

My questions:

(1) Should I replace it?

(2) Is graphite the way to go? How long should these last?

(3) Will I have a whale of a time getting the double nuts off of the studs to disassemble? Should I replace the studs and nuts with the stainless/brass combo that Clark's offers?

(4) Will I have to loosen any other connections in the exhaust path to facilitate disassembly and re-assembly?

(5) Do I need to do anything to rehabilitate the metal sealing surfaces of the exhaust tube and manifold, before installing a new packing?

thanks,

Terry

1966 Monza PG convertible
Ventura County, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is my exhaust packing gone?
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 11, 2017 07:45PM

My questions:

(1) Should I replace it?

(2) Is graphite the way to go? How long should these last?

(3) Will I have a whale of a time getting the double nuts off of the studs to disassemble? Should I replace the studs and nuts with the stainless/brass combo that Clark's offers?

(4) Will I have to loosen any other connections in the exhaust path to facilitate disassembly and re-assembly?

(5) Do I need to do anything to rehabilitate the metal sealing surfaces of the exhaust tube and manifold, before installing a new packing?

Just my 2 cents.
(1) yes.
(2) I have used the graphite with good results.
(3) Your threads do not look to be too bad. Try and remove them and see what happens. I personally only replace the studs if they have broken off. If your stud is good then re-use but consider brass or stainless nuts. Are those nuts stainless already? They look pretty clean as is. Most of the time if I am removing a nut off of a rusty bolt or stud, I will back it of one or two threads, and then run it back down. repeat this process all the way off. It lets rust particle clear out of the threads so that they do not build-up inside of the nut and lock it in place.
(4) Maybe. It depends upon your individual system. How tight is everything else? hangers etc.
(5) unless it has been leaking badly and the surfaces are damaged, no. You may want to run a wire brush around it to clean it up a bit, but mine have always been pretty clean.

I am sure others will have other opinions but it is usually pretty straight forward.

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 11, 2017 09:30PM

Mel is right. Usually these gaskets come off clean from the manifold. If not, scrape them off. Sometimes they stick to the crossover pipe. Again, scrape wit small screwdriver if stuck in a cavity.

Soak nuts before attempting removal with favorite liquid.

Hey, is it leaking?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 12, 2017 05:08AM

They are probably bad, but I'm not seeing any black marks around the fittings. You can paint the area with some white VHT paint. If its leaking, you will see it in a couple of hours of driving.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: CorvairHaven ()
Date: November 12, 2017 04:09PM

I was under the impression that you should not use stainless nuts; otherwise they may gall to the stud. Correct?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 12, 2017 04:28PM

Do not use stainless nuts on stainless studs. They will gall. Even with anti-seize. You can buy stainless nuts with coatings to help prevent galling. But brass nuts are cheaper and readily available.

Brass nuts on stainless studs with never-seize? Use lock washers!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: November 12, 2017 04:30PM

CorvairHaven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was under the impression that you should not use
> stainless nuts; otherwise they may gall to the
> stud. Correct?

Even if there is that tendency (don't know for sure), you can use unflavored Milk of Magnesia as a high temperature anti-seize. Apply MoM, let dry, assemble exhaust.

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: November 12, 2017 04:41PM

The experience I had with the graphite packing are not good. Numerous customers have come to my shop with leaking exhaust packing and they all have been the graphite ones. The seen to turn to mush.
John Sweet

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 12, 2017 06:17PM

Uh, just for the record, no one ever suggested using SS nuts on SS studs.

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 13, 2017 04:50AM

I agree with John, the graphite packing while they don't smell when you heat them up for the first time they are soft and you can easily over tighten them. They will not hold any clamping pressure and you for sure cannot hang the exhaust on them like the old style gaskets.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: November 13, 2017 07:16AM

I guess I've had a different experience than others using the graphite exhaust packings. Have been using them for over 10 years with no issues, no leaks and I run up to 15 psi boost. The one thing about them though is that they should be replaced every time you take things apart. At least on a turbo engine where you need a good seal.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.