home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT-How To Drill (Drain) Hole Thru Concrete-Diamond Core
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: November 10, 2017 05:18AM

In order to store my Corvairs for free in my new buildings, I need to rent an apartment in a former adjacent office building. I need to drill through 4 inches of concrete poured on top of corrugated steel. The local rental place wants $125 to rent me a drill and 4 inch Diamond core bit. But looking on Amazon, it seems I can buy the drill and bit for about the same price or maybe a bit more, and then always have it. In my last OT post, I took the advice and bought a Remington power fastener, and it worked perfectly. Too bad the guys installed 35' run of wall in the wrong spot, and I have to cut all the nails and move the wall one inch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT-How To Drill (Drain) Hole Thru Concrete-Diamond Core
Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: November 10, 2017 05:41AM

When you think of buying a tool like that, you have to say " self, how many times will I need a 4 inch core bit"?

My .02

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting close.

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: November 10, 2017 05:42AM

Being in the marble, granite, terrazzo and tile business, diamond blades and core bits are not made equal. You get what you pay for when buying commercial grade diamonds. For a 4" bit, we would pay about $200-250. Id the bit you are buying segmented or electroplated? Electroplated bits don't last near as long. A secret we found years ago by accident is to pack the bit with ice. It works better than water fed. It keeps the diamonds cooler, cleaner and sharper.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: November 10, 2017 05:43AM

To core a 4" diameter hole through concrete and the metal pan-decking,I would just rent the core drill setup. I don't know how you would find this tool to buy for a mere $125+. It's kind of a beast. Requires a $400 can and the water tank as well.

Date: November 10, 2017 06:28AM

A slightly different scenario happened last week. I was in an Airbnb in West Virginia, and I was doing my usual handyman repairs, and the fellow asked me if I could cut the stone sill aro722nd his fireplace. He said he's been looking for someone to do it inexpensively since January, I said sure, no problem. We went to Harbor Freight and bought a 7-inch angle grinder, for $45, and for $20 we got a 7-inch Diamond dry disc, and the job was done in 5 minutes. He subsequently cut the adjacent Stone as well. Core drilling maybe a little bit of a different Beast, plus there's corrugated steel beneath. But I can see myself cutting a couple of aditional holes in my short lifetime, and I hate to rent a tool and run into trouble, even though their equipment is obviously extra heavy-duty, and Harbor Freight or Amazon is sometimes sketchy, but sometimes their stuff is good enough for the two or three times I'll use it.

Posted by: Wills69 ()
Date: November 10, 2017 05:14PM

Please indicate why you need to core a 4" hole.

As others have indicated, good tools cost money.

You could buy the tools and sell them as "used once".

Going thru the corrugated metal should be easy with a metal hole saw.

I've cored thru 10" of foundation to run hvac venting. That took a couple

of hours for 2 holes (2 5/8) , so 4" is about 1/2 hour

with good coring bit and hammer drill.

Will
Grayslake IL

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 10, 2017 06:46PM

Wills69 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please indicate why you need to core a 4" hole.
>
> As others have indicated, good tools cost money.
>
> You could buy the tools and sell them as "used
> once".
>
> Going thru the corrugated metal should be easy
> with a metal hole saw.
>
> I've cored thru 10" of foundation to run hvac
> venting. That took a couple
>
> of hours for 2 holes (2 5/8) , so 4" is about 1/2
> hour
>
> with good coring bit and hammer drill.
>
> Will
> Grayslake IL

A little deductive reasoning here, based on where he said it is going.
"In order to store my Corvairs for free in my new buildings, I need to rent an apartment in a former adjacent office building. I need to drill through 4 inches of concrete poured on top of corrugated steel."
So I would surmise that the large size stated is for the sewer drain in this new apartment he is creating!
I would say that it is on the second floor, or there is a basement, since there is also corrugated steel under the concrete.
Sounds smart to me. Make a renter offset the cost of Corvair storage!smiling bouncing smiley

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: November 10, 2017 06:50PM

When using a good core drill, I always blew through the corrugated steel underneath the concrete with the same bit...

Date: November 10, 2017 06:59PM

American Mel is correct! I purchased a large abandoned complex 2 months ago, cement building at the street, with 2 wood buildings telescoping off the back, and another large storage building across the driveway. The streetside cement building has a 2000sq ft footprint x 2 floors with a very small basement off the back. The building was professionally built around 1960, and all the pipes were laid into the wet cement, including the doors and windows. There's absolutely no wood in the building whatsoever, It's all steel trusses, flat roof, brick veneer over 10 inch cement block, even the aluminum windows where installed in the cement block before the cement dried. So I'm creating two apartments, or maybe three on the second floor, and I'll probably use the main floor for storage of some kind. So to install bathrooms and kitchen sinks on the second floor, I have to drill through 4 inches of concrete that was poured on top of corrugated steel. So I'm going to try an Amazon 4 inch core drill bit, it's 10 inches tall, $55. So it'll leave enough room for my angle grinder before the grinder hits the concrete floor. Then I'll cut through the corrugated steel with an angle grinder with a thin grinder disc.

Date: November 10, 2017 07:07PM

Sounds like you made your decision before asking the question.
Good luck with your Chinese HF tools. (The downfall of American society along with Wal-Mart 13" tires)

Date: November 10, 2017 07:16PM

I was at the local lumber yard today. A 3" diamond bit was $125, and trying to stop the wave of China junk is not going to work. It's just the way it is

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 10, 2017 07:38PM

I have a Milwaukee rotary hammer drill, and I have drilled through 8" concrete foundation walls with it. Your hands get tired, as well as the rest of your body. It isn't easy work, and a 4" core bit is expensive... more than a few hundred dollars. If you don't have the right tool for the job, you will be spending a lot of time trying to complete the job with a lesser tool.

Date: November 10, 2017 08:11PM

UGLYTRUK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was at the local lumber yard today. A 3" diamond
> bit was $125, and trying to stop the wave of China
> junk is not going to work. It's just the way it is

It's just the way it is,as long as one keeps subscribing to to it,friend.
Suit yourself and core that biatch.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: November 10, 2017 08:41PM

If you are running sewer waste line and are looking at a 4" core bit, are you sure that a 3" line will pass inspection for your multiple baths and kitchens? 4" line is probably what you'll need and that will require a minimum 4 1/2" core bit. I have drilled hundreds of concrete holes with a core drill from 1 1/4" to 10" , they'll cut through rebar like butter so steel sheeting won't be a problem at all. On using the 4" or any other core bit, you had better have one heavy duty drill motor, concrete isn't a piece of pine, If the bit catches, you'll be twirling around like a merry go round. Save yourself a trip to the hospital, rent the proper tool, and bolt it to the floor per instructions. Good luck with your project.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 10, 2017 08:52PM

Regarding Chinese products,
We(US) are what, somewhere around 300 million population now?
One individual, or even if you could get a million on board with you, we are not going to stop the flood of imports until the economics change!
You can "un-subscribe" as much as you want, IT AIN'T GONNA CHANGE THE FACTS ! ! !
I hate buying Chinese junk, but my income level dictates that I find the MOST economical way of doing things.
Unfortunately, many times this means buying Chinese products.
I completely understand Uglytruck's position on this matter.
The core drill is $55.oo !
"If you don't have the right tool for the job, you will be spending a lot of time trying to complete the job with a lesser tool."
Who cares about the time?
It is his personal project!
The time is free! Or what ever HE values it at.
Why did he post here if he already had a plan?
Sometimes people just want to get an idea if they are heading in the right direction!
Or maybe see if there is something better than what they are thinking of.
Hey Ugly, good-luck, and I hope it works out for you.
Illegitimi non carborundum

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: November 10, 2017 11:04PM

Buy American.
Rent American.
Problem solved and you might have helped create an American job.thumbs up

Date: November 11, 2017 03:48AM

Rowin4, the 3" line will only drain 1 toilet and shower and sink. The next bathroom will be much closer to the main vertical line. Water-sewer is pricey here, so I always use water saver appliances. Getting off this OT subject, I just returned from Israel, and their toilets differ from ours as they exit from the rear and even tho many of them have a flush selection button, not a single one came close to using our old 1.6 gallon standard or the new 1.2 standard. And even the water wasters didn't carry the waste away efficiently. I have several videos demonstrating the wasteful appliances in the desert that is Israel. For the record, I travel across the US twice a year, and plenty of hotels have the old 5 gallon flush that basically fill the bowel and don't do nearly as efficient a job at carrying away waste as many 1.6 or even 1.2 gallon flushes...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.