home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT - Closer to Making a New Wiring Harness
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: November 09, 2017 06:44AM

Yesterday I was finally able to pick up the White peg board I wanted and get it home without it getting wet.
The store is over an hour away and I did not want to ruin the peg board by it getting wet coming home.
I decided to use it for my story board, to lay everything out and be able to use it, again and again, any time I need another Headlight harness.

While I was at Home Depot I also grabbed; #10-24X2" long screws, flat washers, and nuts in packs of 100 for a lot less than those little packs of 6 - 10 and 14 pieces.
Not that I will need all 100 screws. But 3 packs of 14 screws would have cost almost $3 dollar more than the 100 pack of the same size screw.
So why not go with the 100 pack.

Anyways, I have picked out the heat gun I plan to buy and other items that I will need.
FYI - I'm still looking for a good price on terminals and connectors
I also have to order the wires, I will need, from Craig when I'm ready.

I will be working on this in the formal dining room over winter.
Lots of light and it will be warmer than the garage or basement.

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

(1) Marie's 1962 Convertible and our 1966 Ultravan #248 (aka Itchy Feet - Long Restoration)
(2) Our 1963 Rampside (Sold 2014) and 1967 Ultravan #256 at Upper Canada Valley car show in 2009.
(UV256 aak Itchy Feet II - corvair power plant came out 2012 - plans with donor for a GM 3.8L FWD conversion, as a gas pusher, in the back of UV256)
(3 & 4) Are some of our 11 Corvair parts cars - to help keep our stuff on the road - hopefully as long as we live. ;-)
(5) Is one of our Wayne 100 boats (Corvair powered)
(6) Nov 14, 2012 Ultravans #362 and #512 arrived. We are getting closer to our goal of having an Ultravan museum.
We now own; UV248, UV256, UV362, UV512, and UV520 will hopefully be here July 2013.
(7) I saved Ultravan #231 from the scarp yard this year. It arrived May 9, 2013 and I plan to flip this one with a mid-engine Subaru power plant.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 12:03PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Closer to Making a New Wriing Harness
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 09, 2017 07:34AM

Which heat gun? Here at work we have had a chance to use many brands. The Master brand quintessential heat gun has been the workhorse of the category for 30+ years. Like the model HG-301 would be all around great. But it is loud and one heat setting. And you should run it on cool setting before shutting it off after long periods of use (hm, turbocharged?grinning smiley). Master also has smaller heat guns.

Another great heat gun with two heat levels is the Milwaukee 8975. I see that has been superseded by the 8975-6. I have none of these here to compare.

Others, like Ungar 1095, are too noisy and feel wrong (ergonomically). I have used a Makita that felt good.

I stay away from cordless anything unless it uses a battery I already have, since I am TIRED of buying high priced batteries for a tool used twice a year!moody smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: November 09, 2017 07:44AM

Good info Frank. Thank you.

Currently I plan on making these new harnesses for just myself band our Ultravans.
And only if others want one will I make them.

With the above said, I thought I start off with a less expensive unit and I could always up grade if and when needed..

FYI - I was looking at a 2 speed Black and Decker HG1300-Heat Gun for under $30 Canadian and I can get it local.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hg1300-heat-gun/6000022951949

Date: November 09, 2017 09:27AM

My neighbor was kind enough to come over and help me place the plywood and peg board on our table.

I put an old painter's cloth on the table first to protect it.
Then the plywood on top of the painter's cloth to keep the head of the screws, which will be on the back side of the peg board, from damaging the table.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 09, 2017 12:56PM

Ah, all ready for Thanksgiving, I see.grinning smiley Now you can have more food on the table.

That B&D gun looks similar to the Milwaukee one I mentioned. For that price I would certainly try it first.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: November 09, 2017 03:29PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah, all ready for Thanksgiving, I see.grinning smiley Now you
> can have more food on the table.
>
> That B&D gun looks similar to the Milwaukee one I
> mentioned. For that price I would certainly try it
> first.

Thanks for the heat gun update..

As for the table. We have a second one in the eat-in kitchen / great room.
OH and I get to enjoy 2 Thanksgivings. Oct = Canada's and Nov = USA..

Date: November 10, 2017 06:12AM

I learned the following while doing my research and I thought I share it.

There are many different ways to make a wiring harness. Below are just a few of them.

1. You can do it in the vehicle (an Okay way if you only have one to do)
2. You can do it on the floor or a table.
3. If you have the space you can use a measuring table and cut each wire to length. Then put the terminals and/or connectors on.
4. If you know you will be making the same harness for years to come you can make and use a story board.
The above mentioned and other ways of making a wiring harness, that I left out, are the preference of the individual and their limits.

I personally like the story board idea.
Once it is built it helps an individual lay out the wires to length by them selves without too much trouble or mess.
You don't have lots of wires laying around or falling on the floor and you don't have to stop to pick up the cut wires, before measuring and cutting some more.
NOTE: There are different styles of story boards too.
Again it has to do with available space to work in, how it will be stored when not in use and the preference of the individual wanting to use it.

I've seen one that was made out of wood in the shape of a long U-channel with a lot of little slots cut out on both sides the entire length of it.
It was over 20 feet long.

With a wire rack one would pull the wire down the U-channel until they reached the slot they needed and then they would pull it through that slot and stop.
They then go back to the wire rack and cut that wire, before they grab the next wire to be pulled through the story board.
This kind of story board takes up a lot of space when in use or stored and is heavy to move around, taking more than one person to move it.
Not an option for me in my situation.

The story board I came up with is much smaller and lighter.
So I can use it and move it on my own.
I can use a small roll of wire or a wire rack, with larger rolls of wire.
I can lean it up against a wall or even hang it up when not in use.
I can cut many of the same length and gauge wire over a 2 inch long set of screws and leave them there, until I am ready to install the terminal ends on each wire.
Less clean up time - if I need that work space. I can simply store the story board aside with the wires still on it.

EXAMPLE ONLY (How I can layout and use my story board idea)
NOTE: It is a 4x8 sheet of peg board. FYI - The last wire shown at the bottom of the picture has to be at least 30 feet long.
However, it only takes up less than 8 feet in length and 6 inches in width to measure / lay each wire out.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 06:20AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Date: November 10, 2017 06:23AM

More than likely I should be able to fit the BASIC and the DELUXE Headlight Harness kits on the same 4X8 sheet.

Date: November 13, 2017 09:54AM

Came across this one again and thought I would post it for fun.
IF I find the one with the channel box made out of wood I will post it for the heck of it as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.