home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM Driver Seat
Posted by: Two2brew ()
Date: November 08, 2017 08:33PM

I have very little room between my steering wheel and my legs. I have short legs so I have to move the seat prstty close to the steering wheel. I have on old aftermarket steering wheel ans plan on replacing it with a stock steering wheel.

Does anyone else have this problem?
What are my options? The car is a 64 which has the long shaft from the steering box to the wheel so that makes a tilt wheel pricey. Is it possible to lower the seat?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lyle Whitsett
San Diego, CA
64 Monza convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM Driver Seat
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 08, 2017 08:42PM

Unbolt the seat from the Tracks.... and see how much you can lower it.

Tracks are easily replaced if things change... I "THINK" you have approx. 2"

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 09, 2017 03:47AM

I have seen some people cut up an old steering wheel, and shorten the arms, and then they cut out a section of the upper half, and lower half of the wheel, and shrink the diameter. If done "correctly", it still looks original, and gives you the extra room that you are looking for. It is a lot of work, since you have to cut back the plastic, to get to the steel to re-weld it, and do the same with the arms. I think that is why they start with an old wheel first, because it might not work out well the first time that you try. My 1963 Chrysler had a square wheel, which gave you that extra room.

Posted by: jbyenko77 ()
Date: November 11, 2017 07:46AM

I put a 1965 tele column in my 1964 for that reason.
It's a lot of work, drill out spot welds on every bracket from a 64 mast jacket and weld them on the 65 mast jacket. i used a flaming river quick box with a modified flaming river adapter shaft.

jeff ballard
camarillo ,CA

Posted by: larry cooper ()
Date: November 11, 2017 12:54PM

Sorry, I cannnot solve your problem , but , it reminds me of a true story. In 1941.the richest guy in town was a bootlegger and he owned a new '41 Buick Roadmaster,he was very short in height and could not reach the brake and clutch pedals. he had a mechanic to put pieces of a 2 X 4 (lumber) under the foot pads so he could drive. I have often wondered how the mechanic was paid !!!
Larry Cooper

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.