home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: LED TAIL LIGHT BULBS
Posted by: vacorvairlover ()
Date: November 11, 2017 09:11PM

Hi Matt,

I looked at the same bulbs but they were about 25-30 dollars per pair, for what I could find, the SMD 5050 will put out about 18 lumens, so 27x18 gives this bulb approx. 486 lumens per bulb, the stock bulb puts out about 440-480 i think. so i should be in the ballpark as far as brightness. However I am going to sandblast the housings and use my Chrome powder coat to give it a nice reflective home for my new bulbs to help boost the lighting. If it doesn't work out I can always go to the more expensive option lol. I'll post some pics when I get everything wrapped up. I still need to install new brake lines, gas tank, front suspension, Drive train, glass, finish installing new stereo, and a complete interior redo, all before the end of the year... Lets see if the car moves out of my garage before Memorial day lol.

John Garrison
Roanoke VA.
1964 corvair spyder convertable
1965 Corvair Monza 110 auto coupe soon to be my daily driver
2014 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
2018 Re-designed Jeep Compass Trailhawk

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 12, 2017 07:40AM

Hi John. I used the appropriate color for each location. You won't need the resistor. That is for hyper flash with new cars that are controlled by the computer. You will need a grounded electronic flasher.

As for the headlights. I tried something similar years ago with quarts bulbs, The light was bright, but went everywhere but where you needed it. I sold them and went back to sealed beam quartz.

If the bulbs are 100w they are probably 20000 lumens. They will be welding helmet bright. Again the light spatter from LEDs is way worse than quartz. In the housings you propose you may have a light all over the place problem. As in really pissing off oncoming cars. I am not stating this as a fact, just some limited experience. Hopefully it will work out for you.

I tried to install some 5 3/4" day maker type projection units this summer. It involved lots of hacking. I returned them. Since then I have sourced used buckets and backing. It will be a winter project.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 12, 2017 07:45AM

More youtube

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: vacorvairlover ()
Date: November 14, 2017 06:04AM

Just as an update, I have received my LED headlight bulbs, and have tested one out. So far the beam seems to be very clear and pretty well focused in 1 spot in the center. Once I get everything installed I'll post some pictures.

John Garrison
Roanoke VA.
1964 corvair spyder convertable
1965 Corvair Monza 110 auto coupe soon to be my daily driver
2014 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
2018 Re-designed Jeep Compass Trailhawk

Posted by: BILLG ()
Date: December 06, 2017 06:21AM

I have a 64 Monza and want to change the instrument lights to LEDS. Any one know the proper numbers and where to get SUPERBRITE bulbs? Is this a difficult process?

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: December 06, 2017 08:57AM

For a 1964 Monza:

Instrument Lamps = GE1816
Turn Signal/High Beam/Heater = 1445
Temperature/Pressure and Generator/Fan = 1895

Check out www.superbrightleds.com to find LED replacements. Others may be able to give you the proper part numbers.

FYI, I got a shock (mental, not electrical) the other day when I went to WalMart to buy more of the Pilot LED bulbs and found that they no longer carry them!!! angry smiley

It seems they only carry Sylvania LED bulbs now! eye rolling smiley

Pilot Automotive LED's are available on Amazon. This is only important if you are looking for "plug and play" replacements for the 1156 and 1157 bulbs used for Tail/Stop/Turn and Backup lights.

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 06, 2017 09:13AM

Bill check your PM.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.