Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
I hope you can help me with a problem in the differential
Posted by: Davicho MX ()
Date: November 06, 2017 05:04PM

I was driving my corvair corsa 1965 when suddenly I began to feel a vibration in the shift lever (speeds) After a few meters later I felt that the car was beginning to vibrate complete, initially I thought it was the wheel nuts. However, there was not a single bad nut so I decided to return to my house, but the vibration was getting stronger until finally there was no more traction ... the engine works well and in order the cluth and the gearbox also.

I think it's about the differential yoke (from what I've read on the internet) but I hope somebody can advise me or share their experience with similar cases.

An additional thing could be that I do not have easy access to spare parts because I live in Mexico City and requesting them takes a lot of time so their help is very valuable and appreciated by me.

Davicho from Mexico City ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I hope you can help me with a problem in the differential
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 06, 2017 05:20PM

Ouch...

All you can do is raise the rear tires off the ground and run it thru the gears.

See what you find...

It could be as simple as a broken input shaft...the vibration you felt in the shifter.. is my clue..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 06, 2017 05:58PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ouch...
>
>
>
> It could be as simple as a broken input
> shaft...the vibration you felt in the shifter..
> is my clue..

First of all, I thank you very much for your help¡¡¡¡

Something important that I omit in my story (tragedy) is that my Vair had loss of transmission oil (I think it is transmission oil because it came out very clean unlike the one in the engine bayonet)

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 06, 2017 06:06PM

Points more towards it being the input shaft....as it wobbled / shook before breaking... it wiped out the Snout seal on the Differential's Throwout bearing support

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 06, 2017 08:46PM

a couple of questions more

What signs should I find to prove that there is a failure in Input Shaft because I have reviewed it and there is no apparent damage.

In reviewing it was observed that the gearbox and differential were separated and the bolts were not tightened

(before continuing with the revision we tighten the screws, however, the failure continues)

it seems that the fault is in the differential and my question is if the vibration can also be due to faults in the satellites (spiders)

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 06, 2017 08:59PM

The "yoke" failure is a common early model failure. I have never seen it on a late model (65 -69). Different yoke/axle design.

I have heard (on this forum) that the output shaft of the transmission fitting into the differential pinion shaft splines do wear out. I do not know why this would make a vibration. It should just stop turning, like when an early yoke fails.

A full disassembly is needed.

Loose bolts? That might cause a vibration when things are running out of alignment.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 06, 2017 10:01PM

Just a complete shot in the dark from the lil info you provided. You commented the transaxle may have ran dry at some point. The bolts between the 2 also came loose. Rear axle pinion bearings will not stand low lube​ levels. My guess is the rear pinion bearing completely failed allowing the pinion shaft to flop around, cause a vibration and destroy the internal splines, leading to loss of drive. Partial disassembly would be required to see if this is the case.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: November 07, 2017 10:18AM

Davicho, does the trans axle have lube in it? Check that first at both the axle and the transmission.
Was the leak coming from the small hole at the bottom of the aluminum clutch/flywheel housing??
When the rear end is jacked off the floor in "neutral" what happens when you rotate the rear tires? Hear any noises? Does the opposite side wheel also turn? If so, in the same direction or opposite?

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 07, 2017 10:26AM

Wagon Master is correct. It will be the rear pinion bearing (closest to the clutch). The differential case is most likely ruined. I've seen at least 4 do that because of low lubricant. The first Corvair I owned did it and the bolts came loose like yours did also. Exactly the same symptoms as yours.

Date: November 08, 2017 06:38AM

I really appreciate your advice because as you know the Corvair was not a car that was sold in Mexico and therefore I have not found a single mechanic who has had a previous experience in both motor and suspeción and therefore any repair is a challenge...

Attached you will find a small video of what we found in our previous review

Date: November 08, 2017 07:24AM

I can not upload the videos any of you could help me (I send them to you by mail)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.