Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - What kind of Crimper Tool do you have and use?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 07, 2017 10:54AM

Tony,

for uninsulated round barrel terminals you want the die or tool that makes the one indentation into the barrel. Like the die second from the right in Al's picture. There is no insulation crimp, just one dent for the conductor.

You could solder each connection, but crimping and heat shrink will be fine. Little known hint, you can put a sliver of hot glue into the heat shrink, and it will melt when you use the heat gun, making a nice water resistant joint.smileys with beer

I like the ratchet style for the same reason. I can start the crimp, move my hands, even use a hand or two to push on one handle while the other handle is supported on a workbench, wall, body, etc. and never loose the tension until it is a crimp that satisfies the ratchet release mechanism.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: November 07, 2017 03:15PM

If it matters at all. The following TWO styles, as seen in the pictures of the OPEN "U-shape" and CLOSED Tube end style, non-insulated connectors are the ones I will be using and needing the crimpers for.

While I'm at it - Do you have a preference for which style connector you like to use most and why?

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: November 07, 2017 04:01PM

My crimper is bigger than all of yours muhahahaha! I have a number of crimp tools for different jobs and connectors, large and small. This one will crimp up to 0000 gauge and yes it is ratcheting.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 04:09PM by thewolfe.

Attachments:
Date: November 07, 2017 04:12PM

The top style connector you show is better in my opinion because it crimps the conductor and the insulator, making a crimp that will resist breaking at the crimp(from flexing) better than one that is only crimped onto the conductor.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 04:15PM by thewolfe.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 07, 2017 06:13PM

The top picture shows an "open barrel" terminal, aka Molex or TE Connectivity terminal, but many many people make them. You have thousands to choose from depending on what exactly you are trying to connect. Packard 56 (aka Delphi Packard 56) are the ones used OEM on the Corvair. And yes, it is good that it crimps the insulation and conductor in the same terminal.

I use my Ideal Crimpmaster with the correct die to make these, even at work where we have more single purpose made crimpers for the job (Molex, AMP and Xcelite brands). But they all work. Getting the right size (awg) is more critical than the round barrel types.

Hey Nate, I have to use of a Burndy Hydraulic crimper of that size wire. Easier than yours to close, but I'm sure waaay more money!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: November 08, 2017 07:43AM

I'm sure it is much easier and much more expensive! The largest I have crimped is 000 and it does take a bit of force to do that.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: JamesD ()
Date: November 08, 2017 08:10AM

I prefer the open-barrel terminals. You have to use the proper tool and you get a good crimp (Well, you don't *have* to use the proper tool, but if you don't, you'll get a disastrous crimp).

With the closed-barrel, I avoid terminals with seams that are not brazed.  With the open barrel, there is only one obvious way to put the terminal into the crimping tool.  With the closed barrel and a T&B-type crimper, I've seen many crimped with the indentation on the seam.  That is sub-optimal.

There are occasions when I've used butt splices.  There are some nice ones that employ heat-shrink tubing with adhesive.

But I digress.  I think the important part of the connection is the tool.  A ratcheting tool with the proper die for the terminal and wire combination gives you a calibrated crimp, whether it's an open- or closed-barrel terminal.

James
'65 Corsa 4-speed, '65 Corsa V8                                                       Santa Clarita, CA.
“I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair.  Stay loose, my friends.”

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: November 08, 2017 08:37AM

thewolfe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The top style connector you show is better in my
> opinion because it crimps the conductor and the
> insulator, making a crimp that will resist
> breaking at the crimp(from flexing) better than
> one that is only crimped onto the conductor.

Don't make me go get the hydraulic, it does 750 mcm.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.