Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I Need Some Generator Help On My Wagon
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 09, 2017 12:50PM

If the field terminal is grounded inside the generator, it will give those results. Take it apart and see if the F terminal wires are touching the case.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I Need Some Generator Help On My Wagon
Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:19PM

I took it apart again and found that the wire that goes between the two field coils was pinched between the outer housing and the through bolt. I looked it over and did not see where any insulation was rubbed through but I moved it so it was not pinched. I also retwisted the little cables that run to the brushes and made sure that they were placed well.

At this point I did not think that I had found any smoking gun and before putting it back on for the 5th or 6th time I would get it tested. At our last Corvair meeting I found out about a small shop in Benson NC that is a proper old school electric shop. The guy was super nice and after a few minutes of poking, prodding and testing he pronounced it in tip top shape.

I just reinstalled it and it seems to be working perfectly again. I am guessing that the wire being pinched was enough to make it misbehave.

Thanks for all of the help.

One tip for getting those stubborn slot head bolts out of the field coils I found a proto 3/8 bit that with very slight modification fit very tight in the slot. I put it on my 3/8 impact and they came right out.

Stanley Proto J5244 3/8-Inch Drive Drag Link Socket, 11/16-Inch

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Spyder coupe

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.