home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Turning Engine by Hand
Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: November 07, 2017 01:33PM

Sorry bout that. I read that a little late. What were ring gap, rod bearing piston top and piston skirt clearances?

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Frog ()
Date: November 09, 2017 04:46PM

Took three pistons to my mechanic in Tiger, Georgia; he said they all look good.

Frog

Rob Lane
Clayton, in the Northeast Georgia Mountains.
1964 500 Coupe
Purchased by me in April of 1964.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: November 09, 2017 05:56PM

Still didn't see if you were using a wrench/breaker bar type tool to turn over the engine or your just grabbing the pulley by hand?

Date: November 10, 2017 12:41PM

rowin4,

I am going to follow the advice of the much wiser than I.

I've disconnected everything from the crankshaft and will check the breakaway and rotation torque on each piston as I go.

I'll be doing this right after I torque down the crank bolt tight enough so that it doesn't back out on me when I turn it CCW using my breaker-bar-type tool with a beam-type torque indicator on it.

I'll report back.

Thank you everyone.

Frog

Rob Lane
1964 500 Coupe

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: November 10, 2017 08:55PM

It doesn't matter which way the engine is rotated , Make sure you check the rod bearings that they are installed correctly. There is a top and bottom . Also the rod caps you might have one on backwards. Notch to notch is proper. Number to number also. Install each one to proper torque, do not rotate until the cap is at least a good snug , then rotate to get the torque wrench on if needed.

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: November 11, 2017 05:31AM

This rotating everything around loose is making me nervous. Easy way to spin a bearing or nic the crank. Wipe STP out and coat with high quality straight 30 weight. You want cam lube on the cam though. Is cam new? Forgive me if I missed that. Make sure no rod bearings have moved before reconnecting. Good time to make sure they are installed correctly and I would go ahead and check clearances again with plasti-gauge. I assume you have threads covered with plastic or rod and cylinder removed and out of the way? Check to make sure all rod caps are on the corresponding rod, each rod is in correct position on the crank, the piston mark or arrow and cylinder notch are in correct orientation. Who pressed wrist pins? If you keep having trouble my inlaws live in Hiawasee and I live in Brevard NC. Clayton is right between and I could pop in a give you a hand one weekend.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Date: November 11, 2017 06:46AM

Rowin4, good to know it doesn't matter which way I rotate the engine to check torque breakaway and torque rotation; I don't know why I was concerned about that. I've meticulously checked to make sure rod-cap tops match up.

Ya know, Noel, now that I've got everything untogether, I'm going recheck bearing clearances with Plastiqage. Might as well, since I'm obviously in no hurry to get this engine back together. My goal is springtime, though.

Yes, cams are new and I used the cam lube Clark's sent along with it. My mechanic in Tiger pressed the pins.

Thank you.

Rob

Date: November 11, 2017 08:07AM

Did you have your rods big ends "reconditioned"? What about the rod bolts/nuts
New?
All the rod/cap numbers matched and can be viewed from the top?
Seems your problem lies in this area to me.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 11, 2017 09:11AM

Let's all wait till the reassembly to see if there even was a problem during the first round. Yunt too? He's promised to check or have checked everything again.
My bet is there never was a problem. He's just not used to the friction of a new motor and/or using too short of a lever.

Date: November 12, 2017 08:46AM

Wagon, you are the Master.

In your words: " . . . there never was a problem . . . not used to friction of a new motor and/or using too short of a lever."

I re-reinstalled the pistons, torqued them, then used the proper tool--my beam-type torque wrench--on the crank bolt. Breakaway and rotation torques fell within those shown on the forum.

I'm happy.

Thank ALL of you for your input.

Now, to press on.

Rob Lane
1964 500 Coupe

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 12, 2017 08:49AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clearances are on the tight side and STP doesn't
> help.
>
> I would put it all together.... pre-oil it... no
> sparkplugs....
>
> Bolt a starter to the bellhousing and crank it!

============================================================

Just a reminder!! grinning smiley but better safe than sorry!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 12, 2017 08:50AM

Better safe than sorry, keep on truck'n !

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.