home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
I learned my lesson: Listening to my Corvair when it tells me something is wrong
Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: November 04, 2017 11:23AM

Hi Gang,

Just a quick note to remind everyone how important it is to pay attention to changes in the behavior of your Corvair. Some of you may recall that I had a lower ball joint failure that presented itself before it ultimately failed as a change in steering wheel orientation. I ignored the change and ultimately paid the price by being stuck 200 miles from home. Thankfully this forum came to the rescue and everything worked out well.

Fast forward to this Tuesday. When I pressed the clutch, I felt a small "release" or "catch" and I thought; "What the heck was that". Car seemed to drive fine so I made a mental note to explore what happened. I arrived at the university and noticed that the clutch pedal had more freeplay than normal. After classes, I drove the Corvair home and made a mental note not to drive it until I looked at it this weekend. Well... I looked into the issue and have attached images of what I found.

Needless to say, I changed the clutch cable with a new spare I had and all is well. For the record, that clutch cable was the very first one I installed in 1993 or so. I am amazed it lasted that long (roughly 30,000 miles. Since I do not have another spare, I am ordering one from Clarks unless someone here has a spare they want to sell.

I find it interesting that the cable was frayed in two locations, one just after the first pivot inside the car, and the other right before the first pivot under the car in the tunnel. I looked and could find no reason why the cable would fray in these locations. The pulleys look good, the cable was lubricated at both pulleys, and everything moved freely. There has to be a reason that both frayed locations were at the trailing edges of the both the first and last pulley in the system.

Joe

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2017 11:28AM by Joe West.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I learned my lesson: Listening to my Corvair when it tells me something is wrong
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 04, 2017 02:21PM

30K on a new cable? New OEM or reproduction or???

30K of only city driving stopping every block?

I know that is over 20 years, but still, that is a very SHORT life compared to all the ones I have known over the years. The late model clutch cables had a shorter life, especially the recently made ones, from forum discussions.

How's everybody else's life of cables?confused smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Re: I learned my lesson: Listening to my Corvair when it tells me something is wrong
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 04, 2017 05:11PM

The reason for the fraying is bending stress.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: November 04, 2017 05:45PM

It might be that the pulleys weren't clocked quite right, and or shifted out
of position. If that happened then when the clutch is depressed, the pulleys
bend the cable at the corners.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 04, 2017 07:51PM

It's like Ken said - bending stress. The strands in the wire used in the reproduction cables are too thick to handle the radius of the pulleys. They need to use finer wire strands. It's been discussed at length either here or on VV.

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: November 05, 2017 06:42AM

Joe you were lucky the ball joint broke at low speed! Phew!

I recall prior discussions about the clutch cable prematurely wearing when there is a ground issue and the cable begins acting as an electrical ground. Might be worth looking into.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: November 05, 2017 06:58AM

This is a possible opportunity for a entrepreneur in the Corvair community ?
I know good quality coated multi-strand cable can be ordered in bulk.
The critical parts are the ends, especially the ball, which many fail to lubricate or install properly. { it is supposed to be "loose so it can pivot }
And "retained" with a dab of "dumdum"
I have used a crimped loop for the front end for many years without failure.
The long stud at the back needs a collar crimp approach , IMHO.
Roger Parent are you watching this??

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 05, 2017 07:42AM

Lots of Marine stainless cable out there in many strand combinations. I can't see why vendors are not using better cable for only a slight increase in cost.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.