home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dual Master Cylinder for Van
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 07, 2017 03:29PM

Next you'll be wanting us to add seat belts!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chi2 ()
Date: November 07, 2017 03:31PM

Thanks for the clarification Matt!

Jon
Enrolled in the Culver City Automotive School of Hard Knocks
============================================================
Member of South Coast Corsa
-1964 Greenbrier "The Dog Hauler" Rustoleum Charmer 110hp/4sp/.030 over/Pertronics I/Isky 270 Cam
-1962 Monza Club Coupe "Shaken, not stirred" Tuxedo Black with Red Interior 140hp/4sp/Pertronics I/Clark's 260 Cam

Date: November 07, 2017 03:40PM

I've had lots of factory installed dual master cylinders on 70's and 80's GM cars that wouldn't stop when one side failed. They seem to only have a couple of inches from the floor to the pedal when working properly so when one side fails they don't have enough travel to actuate the other.

If you change a single 1" master cylinder to a dual 1" master cylinder you then have 2x1" of piston area minus the area of the center rod of the first stage. Doesn't that mean you need to go to a smaller bore to make the same pedal effort?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 07, 2017 04:09PM

NOPE!! each section is sealed unto itself....

You never know if that seal fails until you have line / wheel cylinder failure....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 07, 2017 04:32PM

I understand they are supposed to be sealed but you have a 1" bore operating 2 wheel cylinders instead of 4.
(assuming you were answering me)
I just realized it will change the front to rear balance also since you have a whole 1" feeding one half and 1" minus the rod area feeding the other half.

AND you have 3 pressure seals one operating each half and one separating them. As you mentioned the one separating them could go and you wouldn't know it until one of the others failed. More thought needed...
So if the middle one failed and the front one failed then the rear would try to pressurize the whole system.

The 1" is just an example and I'm calling "front" the half away from the actuating rod.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 07, 2017 05:14PM

On our Vairs '67-9 without Power assist.. pedal does stay higher IMO and should on the '62-6's converted..

Where's the brake experts!!! ggg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 08, 2017 01:41PM

I have been selling dual conversion kits for 25+ years. These were originally designed by one of our California customers. They use a master cylinder with built-in proportioning. I tweaked the FC a bit when I installed one in my 64 Greenbriar.
When using one of our disc conversion kits we strongly recommend installing the dual master clyinder kit as well.

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com

Lon Wall

Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.