home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
64-65 FC License Lens Q
Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: November 02, 2017 05:50PM

Okay, gang, those of you who have replaced the license plate lamp lens on a '64-'65 FC engine access door, what have you used for glue?

I have a freshly restored door and an NOS lens. Although these lenses have small tabs that enable them to be snapped into place, that's not enough and the factory glued 'em in place.

I did one of these years ago, but it fell out and disappeared not long thereafter, so clearly what I used (clear silicone) was not right for the job. That hurt, because it too had been an NOS lens.

So... what should I use this time?

--Bob

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 64-65 FC License Lens Q
Date: November 02, 2017 07:21PM

I would use a clear urethane adhesive such as "GooP"
Silly name but the stuff does work!
It's semi-flexible when it sets and it really holds tight!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 02, 2017 09:13PM

Gorilla glue... they have great ads on TV, so they must make a great product.

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: November 03, 2017 08:09AM

One of the issues is the matter of heat. This lens lives inside the engine compartment. I suspect that the reason my initial attempt failed was because the product I used could not withstand the heat generated nearby (and conveniently circulated onto it via the carburetor air warming slot).

Neither the Goop nor Gorilla Glue products claim to possess any particular heat resistance. But I have since seen a Loctite product called "Stik n' Seal Extreme Conditions Adhesive" that may work...

A number of the high-temperature products I have found are sealants rather than adhesives.

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 03, 2017 08:33AM

Goop!
A small bead or just dot's of Goop will do the job. Also, when it's about 1/2 dry you cam roll or rub away any access making a clean adhesion. Goop is clear and won't show on any edge's.

I had to make several 64-65 Fc license plate lens's out of clear acrylic. Each installed with Goop. No issues with heat.

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.