home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1963 Corvair Fuse Box Location
Posted by: scorpius666 ()
Date: November 02, 2017 04:14PM

Hi Guys
I noticed my lights were having problems

headlights worked fine on high and low beams

turn signals did not work ,

only the outer drivers side rear light of the 4 outer round rear lights went on when I turned the headlights on

the two inner round lights that are closest to each other did nothing and the bulbs were single filament type and easily broke taking them out

did not know which of the 4 rear lights are the brake lights but could not check them since I could not press the pedal and look at the same time

I figured the fuse box may be the culprit and I thought it would be in the engine bay but did not see it

can anyone tell me where the fuse box is located in a 1963 corvair convertible?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2017 04:14PM by scorpius666.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1963 Corvair Fuse Box Location
Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: November 02, 2017 04:20PM

I believe you will find the fuse panel under the driver's side dash, just left of base of the steering column where floorboard meets firewall.

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 02, 2017 05:20PM

The Fuse Block is located under the dash.

The "outside" Rear Lights are the Tail/Brake lights. They use a dual-filament bulb (#1157).

The "Inner Rear Lights" ( closest to the licence plate) are Back-up lights (single filament bulb,#1156).

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: November 02, 2017 07:43PM

It's a joy to get down under the dash and try to read the labels on the fuse-block, let alone trying to pry a glass tube fuse out of the usually rusted clips!
Use a test-lamp first on the connections at the lights in question.
The foremost suspect is usually a "bad ground" since there was not a dedicated wire for the ground path.
The housing has a clamp fitted on the back side that is supposed to touch the metal of the body when it's aligned just so, and will complete the ground path when the bare metal of the clamp is tightened against the bare metal of the hole in the fender. With years of dirt and corrosion you have better luck with the lotto!
A lot of cleaning, scraping, sanding, cursing and magic, you can get them to work that way, but a more reliable method is the solder a ground onto the lamp base socket and run a ground wire connector to a clean bare metal surface.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 02, 2017 09:39PM

Are the "inner" lamps covered with red or white center/ red outer ring lenses?

People have converted the "inner" lamps to brake lamps when the back up lamp switch fails.

From your description, I suspect bad grounds, not bad fuses.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.