Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NOS black oil filter
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 02, 2017 02:53PM

How much is a nice one worth?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NOS black oil filter
Posted by: Mel ()
Date: November 02, 2017 03:31PM

In a box?

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: November 02, 2017 04:47PM

They are reproducing them now, so I suspect it is not worth much unless someone collects original filters. The best way to find out for sure is to auction it on eBay.

Joe

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Date: November 02, 2017 07:07PM

It's in the wrong box. I thought they only came on cars from the factory and probably wouldn't have a box?
It says "replace with PF4" on it IIRC.

Date: November 02, 2017 07:17PM

That's right. They were only installed at Tonawanda NY engine assembly plant. They were discarded at the first oil change with the filters available thru Chevrolet and other suppliers.
Considering that probably 2 million of them were produced, not many are around today, as they were discarded.

Here is the only one I've seen...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: November 02, 2017 07:33PM

That's the one. I wonder how this one survived new since they weren't sold anywhere?

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 02, 2017 08:22PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's the one. I wonder how this one survived
> new since they weren't sold anywhere?

That one survived, because the engine in that picture had never been ran.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Date: November 02, 2017 08:28PM

Maybe it came off the NOS engine that was in the Rampside I bought from him. Do you think NOS engines weren't run at the factory?

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 02, 2017 08:46PM

They were sold as the original replacements in 1960 & 1061, since the Corvair was new, and GM had their hands full just trying to get the cars built and parts delivered to the dealers. The only ones that I have ever seen NOS were the original dealer replacements. The silk screening on the 1961 differs from the 1960. They continued to supply the black filters to the dealers until 1962, when they changed the color of the replacements to the blue filter with red silk screening. The last picture is of the 1963 Corvair from the Lambrecht auction. If you would like to see the rest of the yearly changes, I can do that over the weekend.
I have a collection of Corvair oil filters from many brands, and I am always looking for more. If you have any aftermarket oil filters that I can use for my collection, I would greatly appreciate your contacting me. It is primarily the obscure brands that I am looking for presently. New or used, it doesn't matter to be added to the collection. Also interested in trading with other oil filter collectors. I started this project of collecting oil filters in 1982, and showed my collection at the Corsa Convention in Atlanta, but I don't remember the year.
I believe that Larry Claypool covered this topic more than 10 years ago. Possibly someone can look up the article.

Date: November 02, 2017 08:52PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe it came off the NOS engine that was in the
> Rampside I bought from him. Do you think NOS
> engines weren't run at the factory?

Based on the filter on that engine, I would date it has being built in 1961, or possibly in 1962, based on the silk screening. Based on the photographic evidence of the Lambrecht car, GM dropped the rectangular lines at some point in 1963. If I knew the build date of the engine in that car, that would help to date the filter changes.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 02, 2017 09:36PM

Dan, is that engine for a Wayne 100? I guess not, the exhaust manifolds do not look marine type, and they point up if it was a Wayne installation.

The distributor looks 62, not 61 style.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: swi66 ()
Date: November 03, 2017 04:55AM

A lot of them walked out the door of the engine plant as well.

I picked up some from the family of a former employee there, as well as other Corvair parts years ago.

Date: November 03, 2017 06:35AM

The engine above on the pallet is a 1962 FC build that was modified locally to be a non-automotive installation. Perhaps a marine use, but don't know for sure.
It's the "strange duck" discussed in THIS thread.
Dave Newell adds some comments in that thread about it.
Those locally fabricated galvanized ducts and a couple of aftermarket air filter w/ copper mesh are part of the reason I thought it might be made for marine use.
It was started but never used, it looks brand new inside. Apparently an experiment never completed to final use.
Pete Borchert's brand new 1963 Monza bought at Lambrechts and photo-documented in it's "pre-delivery" prep is an absolute amazing find!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 03, 2017 09:02AM

Thank-you Dan.
Never ran/never used.
I meant "used", but said "ran".
Some people just have to get finitely technical.eye rolling smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 03, 2017 10:42AM

I can split hairs with the best of them since mine are thinner than they used to be!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: November 03, 2017 11:10AM

Here's mine. Might be from a NOS 102 crate engine.

Attachments:
Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: November 03, 2017 03:07PM

There are lots of filter manufacturers in China that will copy (at least externally) whatever you send them. Certain minimum quantities apply.

I recently cut up and tested a "Volvo" truck oil filter than I'm sure Volvo had nothing to do with.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: November 03, 2017 04:25PM

I would love to see what GM installed in new vehicle engines after 1963. My thoughts are that they might have mimicked the GM filters that were available in the aftermarket. An example would be a black filter with the same logos as were used on the white filters in production later in the 1960 decade.
As for having filters made in China, there are two problems that I can see that will cause this type of project to come to a standstill. One is the quantity of filters, and the other is the cost of the licensing fee that GM will want. If you ignore the licensing fees, then you run the risk of a legal battle with a very wealthy gorilla.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: November 04, 2017 05:22PM

Here is an Atlas oil filter, I am guessing from 1966 based on the side of the box.

Anyone interested? Make me an offer.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Attachments:

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: November 04, 2017 05:23PM

More pics:

Kevin
Medina, OH

Attachments:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.