Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Early Corvair Convertible Quarter Window Rear rubber "flap"
Posted by: sixfourvair ()
Date: June 24, 2020 08:34AM

I am also looking for this seal. The 64 to 67 chevelle convertible frame to body seal is a close match that I might try and modify to fit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: June 24, 2020 10:26AM

In reply to [corvaircenter.com]

sixfourvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am also looking for this seal. The 64 to 67 chevelle convertible frame to body seal is a close match that I might try and modify to fit.

Do you mean THIS seal? (photo) I bought them thinking the same thing, but on closer inspection they aren't the same at all. one half of the seal is similar to the Corvair seal, but the other half isn't remotely correct. Also, the screw holes in the base are further apart.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Attachments:

Date: June 24, 2020 10:45AM

Just in case that last post did not make it clear, The Corvair seal consists of to metal pieces (at right angles to each other) coated in rubber to make one large seal. The part for the "A" body cars is a single piece of metal coated in rubber to make a smaller, flat seal. So even though the one side is similar, the other side is completely different.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: June 24, 2020 10:58AM

Some additional photos of this seal as seen in other Corvair Convertibles - it is very hard to get a good photograph with the seal in the car. Removing the seal requires removing the rear seat, rear armrest, quarter panel window crank and trim pad, and Belt Finishing molding, as there is a screw underneath the belt finishing molding that must be removed

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: sixfourvair ()
Date: June 25, 2020 01:35PM

Good to know they won't work. I have been looking for a close match for awhile now. My originals are still intact but very brittle.

Date: June 25, 2020 01:40PM

In reply to [corvaircenter.com]

sixfourvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good to know they won't work. I have been looking for a close match for awhile now. My originals are still intact but very brittle.

That’s likely true for most of them, and why I’m pushing to get them reproduced. I would imagine just about every existing EM convertible could use a set.

Bill Hubbell,

Date: June 27, 2020 02:47PM

I have confirmed the part number!! I visited the Corvair Ranch today and, thanks to Jeff Stonesifer, I now have two reasonably intact Right Hand versions of the seal, and one of them has a readable part number - it is located on the underside of the bottom section of the part.

Both of these are hard as a rock, but I have been reading of techniques to soften old rubber. I will do some more research, then test out the technique on a broken part first. If it is successful, I will try it out on one of these intact parts.

The correct part number and description is what I had earlier guessed:

4874456 - Group 13.352, Weatherstrip, Folding Top Compartment, right, side panel

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: June 27, 2020 02:50PM

Some photos of the part "in-situ" on cars at the Corvair Ranch today

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: June 30, 2020 05:55AM

I went back to the Corvair Ranch and obtained some additional seals - now have a few good LH seals as well as RH - will be shipping all to Clarks for research toward reproduction.

We can now confirm the part number for the LH seal as well, and, as expected, it is 4874457.

Each seal consists of two distinct metal inserts (each insert has LH and RH versions), rubber coated in such a fashion as to form grooved sides that fit over the metal channel. The seal in held in place by the rubber grooves and by three flat head sheet metal screws, two in the rear and one on the inner side. Removal of the seal requires the removal of the Belt Trim molding in order to access the head of the inner screw.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: June 30, 2020 06:49AM

Left and Right seals.

1st photo - view of seals looking toward front of car

2nd photo - view of seals from above

3rd photo - rear oblique view

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: June 30, 2020 06:52AM

Now that we have the part numbers, I don't suppose anybody out there has an NOS set? winking smiley

Bill Hubbell,

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.