Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Early Corvair Convertible Quarter Window Rear rubber "flap"
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: November 01, 2017 02:00PM

At the rear end of the 1964 Convertible Quarter Window upper slot there were attached these rubber coated metal pieces - one piece on the inner panel attached with one screw and another piece attached on the back panel attached with two screws. I suspect that they may have originally been one piece of rubber coating the two metal inserts and acted as some kind of water seal for the glass, similar to Clark's part # C9942 which is inserted at the FRONT of the window slot on the door pillar. This is NOT that part, and I can find no reference in Clark's catalog to it, but I think it might be called the "Strip, body back pillar upper corner" - left and right versions. If I am correct, the original GM part numbers were: (Left) 4874959 and (Right) 4874958.

In any event, can anybody provide more information about this part(s). Better yet, does anybody still have this part in good condition, either on their car or on the shelf, and could provider photos of it? I would like to see about getting this part reproduced if I can verify its original nature.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Early Corvair Convertible Quarter Window Rear rubber "flap"
Date: November 01, 2017 02:09PM

In case it wasn't clear, these photos more clearly show the location of the part(s).

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: November 02, 2017 04:47PM

Look on page 214 I think that is what your looking for!

Attachments:
Date: November 02, 2017 04:50PM

No, this is NOT THAT PART. I have that part and it goes on the door pillar.

Bill Hubbell,

Date: November 02, 2017 06:20PM

This may help to clarify.

The first photo shows my finger pointing to the part that Clark sells, placed where it belongs on the door pillar at the front of the slot that the quarter window slides through.

The second photo shows a screwdriver handle positioned at the back of the window slot. This is where the part I am asking about is attached.

The third photo compares (left to right) the Clark's part with the original part it replaces, and then the part I am asking about is on the far right. As you can clearly see, it is not the same part - it is larger and shaped differently.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: November 02, 2017 06:28PM

Here are some more photos showing the mystery part - it came out of the car in two pieces of metal with bits of rubber attached, but I have attempted to show how I think it was originally one piece (with two metal inserts) by positioning it in cardboard that I slotted to support it.

I should add that this is a 1964 Monza convertible with Factor A/C, produced in Sept 1963, in case that makes any difference.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: November 02, 2017 06:30PM

A couple more shots attempting to show how this is attached to the car.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: November 02, 2017 06:41PM

And this is a repeat of the photo with my finger showing the Clark's insert, but now with red lines showing the approximate positioning of the metal inserts for the mystery piece.

Again, just to make it clear, Clark's part is for the FRONT upper corner of this slot; the part I am asking about is for the REAR upper corner.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.