home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Lost my key. Any ideas for a new one.
Posted by: macutak ()
Date: October 31, 2017 04:18PM

I can’t find the only key I had for the Rampside. (This is not a discussion about why I didn’t make a spare before I lost it...already had that discussion several times. ). Any suggestions for getting one made? How to Hotwire maybe from you older reprobates who developed those skills? Can I take the entire key mechanism to a key maker and have them make one? Any key codes that might help a locksmith zero in on this?

I'm almost done. I just need...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lost my key. Any ideas for a new one.
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 31, 2017 04:24PM

Did your key also work the glove box lock?
Typically one key fit doors/glove box and ign.
If so remove the glove box lock/latch and take
to locksmith. They can make a key to fit.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: October 31, 2017 04:24PM

I did find a thread that said all locks pre1965 were the same so I’ll take the door or glove box assembly in for a key.

Date: October 31, 2017 04:30PM

And just to implore the threa. Take the whole glove box door as that is easier

Date: October 31, 2017 04:42PM

Only ONE phillips head screw holds the lock into
the glove box, lots easier than removing the door.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 31, 2017 09:31PM

If there is a code on the glove box lock you can read, that will work. If no code, this will not work, as the number of tumblers in the glove box lock (4) is fewer than the other locks (6). The early glove box locks need to have the cylinder removed to read the code usually. DO NOT take the pretty face of the lock to remove the cylinder. I know it looks like the way in, but it will bend the face and be non-usable after that. The lock can be picked and the cylinder will drop right out.

Take the door handle off, remove the lock cylinder and read the 4 digit code. It will start with an 8 or 9. I can cut you keys by this code and mail them to you (code cut keys $7 a pair postpaid in the US), but the mail will take a while. A local locksmith should be able to cut a key by this 4 digit code.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 01, 2017 04:28AM

The code on the glove box lock is inside the housing! The chrome part has to be taken off and that risks damaging the chrome bezel beyond use.

It's better to take the door apart and use that. The code is on the outside of the door locks.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: November 01, 2017 05:46AM

Sorry if my advice is bad. There is an old locksmith here that has made ign key from glove box lock through the years, I have one myself. I have watched him insert a key into lock and rock it back and forth a couple of times then go into his truck and file the key for a minute and presto it works.

Again I apologize for having you get into the glovebox

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: November 01, 2017 07:44AM

I have taken the ignition switch to a locksmith in the past and had keys made. I know getting the switch out without removing the cylinder is very difficult but you may be able to unplug the swith, hotwire it and drive it to the locksmith or have the locksmith come to you. Also, other Corvair keys work, there was only a certain amount of combinations made. If you have some other Corvair keys, try them and see if they will work.

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: November 01, 2017 08:07AM

Both Frank and Ken have made keys from the code for me. This is the way to go if you are willing to take the door apart. Even if I have a key, its nice to have a non worn example. Especially if you go all out and have it cut on NOS blanks.

Date: November 01, 2017 08:10AM

Ken, like I said, you do not remove the nice chrome part to get at the code on a glove box lock. There is a picking trick to slide the cylinder out of the glove box lock assembly. Helps a lot to have the key....winking smiley But not necessary.

Yes, the trick to removing the ignition lock cylinder without the correct key is to try EVERY key your friends and club members have. And jiggle (the key, not you) a lot.

Easiest by far on an FC is to remove the door handle and get the code off that lock.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 08:11AM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: redone76 ()
Date: November 01, 2017 08:26AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken, like I said, you do not remove the nice
> chrome part to get at the code on a glove box
> lock. There is a picking trick to slide the
> cylinder out of the glove box lock assembly. Helps
> a lot to have the key....winking smiley But not necessary.
>
> Yes, the trick to removing the ignition lock
> cylinder without the correct key is to try EVERY
> key your friends and club members have. And jiggle
> (the key, not you) a lot.
>
> Easiest by far on an FC is to remove the door
> handle and get the code off that lock.

I'd listen to this man. He helped me with my key issues and they've worked great since!

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 01, 2017 08:46AM

Here is what I use. A master key set that works about 95% of the time, and for that 5% that it doesn't work on, I have 2 more sets that will give me results. Only downside is the time to run through 60 keys, one by one.

Date: November 01, 2017 11:15AM

The glove box worked beautifully. Three Phillips screws and it was out. Locksmith gave me original octagon GM blanks and mad two copies for $29 with tax included. Called me at 8:10 am this morn g to tell me they were done. Wow. I should have spent less time looking for the old key that was not even an original style. In summary: go make a copy of your key if you only have one. Go to a locksmith that has old inventory and blanks not a fly by nigh 24 hour 1800 number that asks you what state you are in. If your Vair is pre 1965, the tumblers for the door, glovebox and ignition are all the same. So take your glovebox or tumbler and make two keys and give one to your spouse.

Date: November 01, 2017 12:08PM

Whew glad that worked out. I was feeling terrible that I led you down the wrong path just trying to offer a quick way out.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: November 01, 2017 12:36PM

That's good news Mac. Also trunk is same as door/ignition/glove on pre-65s that have not been replaced at some time.

Junkman, those master key sets are still available for purchase from locksmith suppliers if you have credentials to do it. Glad you already have one.

I did see at Hershey one year a set of ALL the keys made in the 1935-66 (B-10/11) blank series. He wanted something with too many zeros for me! I could sit down with 1500 blanks and make my own....grinning smiley

Steve, your suggestion is good. The locksmith just needs to know the secret of taking the glove box lock apart to read the code stamped within. Most older guys do! I guess part of the secret handshake ritual training they should have.winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

F/S: GM Tumbler and Spring kits
Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: November 02, 2017 07:54AM

Okay, lock-and-key enthusiasts, now that the OP has solved his problem, who might want these? I have had these GM lock tumbler kits for long time, but I am now at a point where I no longer need them. I was planning to put them on eBay, but maybe one of you guys wants to make an offer?

--Bob

forsale

WhyImWhenIm64

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2017 08:00AM by MattNall.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.