home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Steering box adjustment question (and an intro I suppose)smiling smiley
Posted by: Bru ()
Date: October 30, 2017 10:22PM

Hello all,

Long time listener, first time caller. I'll get around to posting more of the car and myself, but I could use some quick guidance. I have been rebuilding my first corvair, a Canadian built 1960 700 sedan, and have recently gone through the steering box. It's innards were pristine (tooth faces, balls, races, and bushings. Even clean grease!) so I just cleaned it up, pressed in new seals, and filled it with Castrol SHL 00-grade grease. I'm working the GM 1960 service manual, which calls for adjusting the worm shaft bearings until 2-6 in-lbs of drag is achieved, then tweaking the lash adjuster to get to 7-12 through the middle tight spot. I have also read Jerry Rotert's article on the subject, which calls for slightly higher drag. I'm using a CDI dial 0-75 inch pound torque wrench.

I get less than 2 in-lbs drag when I adjust all the clearance out of the worm bearings. Tightening it into the range makes them feel rougher than I am comfortable with. Likewise, adjusting the lash to get in that range also starts feeling rougher than I like. Is this normal? Perhaps I'm too used to precision bicycle parts. Should I make it meet the manual's numbers and not worry?

Thanks,
Bruno
Kamloops, BC, Canada

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steering box adjustment question (and an intro I suppose)smiling smiley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 30, 2017 10:57PM

Welcome to the CCF...

Some of our experts will answer soon.

I'm the kind of person that does this stuff by feel..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 31, 2017 05:05AM

Like Matt, I'm no expert and have inch pound wrenches. Even though things may look new they are not. If I get to that situation, I do as Matt does and go be feel.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: October 31, 2017 08:56AM

Bruno, Here's one demonstration.
Steve

Posted by: kenvair ()
Date: October 31, 2017 05:27PM

Regarding worm bearings feeling rough when tightened....could they be installed upside down? It's easy for them to flip over during installation. Ken

Posted by: Bru ()
Date: October 31, 2017 09:09PM

Thanks for the responses. I usually go by feel too with these sorts of things too, that's why this has me wondering. Snugging up the worm adjustment by hand takes all the play out and feels buttery smooth. I have to put a wrench on it and almost give it another 1/8th turn to get 2 in-lbs. Seems like excessive force on the wrench to preload the bearings that much (which are installed right, cages out). The lash adjustment specs don't feel as bad as the worm adjustment. I think I'll go by feel on the worm and try to get closer to the book on lash.

Thanks guys,
Bruno
Kamloops, BC, Canada
1960 700 sedan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.