home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Somewhat OT Rome Georgia
Posted by: 65CrownV8 ()
Date: October 29, 2017 08:21AM

Contemplating a move to Rome, GA and was wondering what members are in that general area?

George Jones - East Orlando, FL
'65 Monza V8 Convertible - 355/4-spd Posi
'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG
'67 Monza Coupe 140/4-spd/Posi, A/C
COrvaiR Society of America (CORSA), Central Florida Corvair Club, Tidewater Corvair Club, V8 Registry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Somewhat OT Rome Georgia
Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: October 29, 2017 10:09AM

I’m about an hour from Rome. It’s a cute little town. You would also have the option of living closer to Atlanta and not having a terrible commute to Rome (assuming you would be working in Rome), or even living in the mountains and having a decent commute. It’s pretty rural/small-town, with a couple colleges that basically anchor the community. They also have a minor league baseball team that is part of the Atlanta Braves system.

There are several active Corvair folks in the general area, and two clubs.

Date: October 29, 2017 11:20AM

Thanks for the reply bakers. We’re actually looking for a place to retire to. Looking for someplace outside Fla (too hot for too long), but nothing that will put us in the snow belt. Wife wants to be close to good hospitals, and I want a little bit o acreage (5 to 20) with no restrictions, with easy travel to the mountains. That’s what is making us look at northern GA. Also, federal retiree, so we’re conscious about taxes, and most importantly, want to be near like minded (Corvair) people.

'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG
COrvaiR Society of America (CORSA), Central Florida Corvair Club, Tidewater Corvair Club, V8 Registry

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: October 29, 2017 12:22PM

College town about 3 hours away from me.

Corvair Atlanta is probably the nearest club though most of the surrounding clubs consistently work well together, especially for Springfest:
Vulcan Corvair Club
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club

You need to stop in an see me on your move up north.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside V8 - YELLOW - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: October 29, 2017 01:03PM

Come to TN and save on State income taxes. And Choo Choo Corvairs are here. Either way, Helen GA is close, Maggie Valley is close. Lots of vairs in GA! And in TN!

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Date: October 29, 2017 01:08PM

Still trying to twist the wife’s arm on that one. We both like the Dayton, TN area, but she’s hung up on the 9% sales tax.

'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 29, 2017 02:41PM

Try something really different!

Oregon, NO sales tax !

Washington, NO state income tax !

Live on the coast, and you will be out of the snow 9 out of ten years, and when it does snow, it only lasts a couple days.

OH, and NO hurricanes ! ! !

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: October 29, 2017 02:50PM

Sorry Mel, no interest in moving any further left, errr, West than I already am.

'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 29, 2017 02:56PM

I hear yah there.
BUT, not all of us out here on the Left Coast are a part of the Granola Crowd.
Especially when you get north of "*The Peoples Republic of California*"

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: October 29, 2017 10:03PM

George, that’s important info (retiring). Have you been to Rome already? What is the reason you are specifically thinking about Rome? Personally, in that situation I would take a long look at the north Georgia mountains, or even Tennessee. My father in law just retired and has a place in Ellijay. Blue Ridge is beautiful. Dalton... Haha... Helen, GA is a cool and beautiful area in the mountains, and hosts one of the absolute best Corvair events every year.

Date: October 30, 2017 02:04AM

Yes, we are becoming very familiar with the Rome area. We camp up there frequently (Cave Springs, Cartersville, etc.). We haven’t ruled out the Athens/Commerce area either, but my significant other does not want to be “in the mountains”. Close to the mountains is OK. We have a specific parcel of land we’re looking at right now (13+ acres with a 3000 sq. ft. Butler building on it.), so we will be making anothe trip up there before the end of the year.

'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: October 30, 2017 03:33AM

I live in Cumming Ga, about an hour from Rome. Mike

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: October 31, 2017 04:45AM

Don't you have the benefit of no state income tax in FLORIDA?

I believe TENNESSEE has no state income tax also.

If you're looking for a nice area where you could get large number of acres and still be near nice cities and the mountains and the sea, would be the AIKEN SOUTH CAROLINA AREA.

Augusta Georgia is 20 miles away and has one of the best medical communities in the country!
THE MEDICAL COLLEGE OF GEORGIA (recently renamed AUGUSTA UNIVERSITY... with the combination of the non medical 4 year Augusta College with MCG......after a couple of interim names....Georgia Regents University//Augusta State University.
----They are still two distinct campuses and schools:
what used to be AUGUSTA COLLEGE is a four year traditional college,
what used to be MEDICAL COLLEGE OF GA is the med school, also a dental school there.
Their campuses are three miles apart.

The Augusta area has the best medical community in the state of Georgia!

Now the not so good about Augusta, is that unless you live within the very affluent "Hill Area or the western suburbs in Augusta Richmond County bordered by Walton Way, Wheeler Road and Boy Scout Road, the city of Augusta is a dump that is crime ridden ghetto. South Augusta is like the land that time forgot.
Anything below Milledge Road, or maybe Heard Avenue on lower WALTON WAY near Richmond Academy is NOT WHERE YOU WANT TO BE. Downtown is a sewer that the young kids like, firetrap dumpy bars in 120 year old buildings. Huge homeless population beneath the Calhoun Expressway. Harrisburg neighborhood is a crime ridden ghetto where rich retirees own multiple slum properties and rent them to mostly gang bangers and meth users. Augusta Richmond County has the WORST PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM in THE STATE OF GEORGIA! It was among the best 40 years ago.
Unless you want to spend $350,000 to about $1.7 million for a home in the "HILL AREA" or a few select neighborhoods in west Richmond County which is part of the city, your only option is to go to COLUMBIA COUNTY, Evans and Grovetown both which were once rural farm areas but are now very nice areas, both are about 12 miles west, and northwest essentially suburbs of Augusta. Columbia County/Evans is one of the fastest growing areas in Georgia, that includes ATLANTA. Columbia County/EVANS population now exceeds AUGUSTA city limits and total Richmond County combined. Augusta-Richmond County has a dysfunctional goverment and it has among the highest property taxes rates in the State of GA for those who own houses on the Hill.....lets say they sock it to the "so called rich". Annual property taxes of $5000 to $15,000 + are typical for Hill Area residents with nice homes in the right zip code. I write them a very large check every Nov 15th.

Aiken South Carolina is much nicer than the City of Augusta. Taxes are low compared to Augusta for a very nice home. Aiken SC is horse country and it is a Retirement destination because of the low cost of living.
Augusta has a low cost of living if you don't own a very nice Hill Area home where the millage rate for property taxes is probably the highest in the state.
North Augusta SC, across the Savannah River is a nice quiet community of older homes that is largely free of the dregs that plague Augusta's city limits.

As I mentioned the Medical Community in the Augusta Metropolitan Area is second to none.
MCG a.k.a. Augusta University
Doctor's Hospital
University Hospital
Trinity Hospital formerly called St. Joseph's Hospital
VA Hospital
-----all five listed above are located within AUGUSTA-Richmond County----

Then out at FT GORDON (the army base) about 15 miles southwest is Eisenhower
Hospital

Near Aiken SC is Aiken Regional Medical Center which is among the newest of all of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Charleston South Carolina is a very nice area.
The Medical University of South Carolina MUSC is there.
I don't know what the property costs are there as it has been twenty-five years since any family owned any oceanfront property on Isle of Palms (a very nice beach area two short island hops from downtown Charleston) After Hurricane HUGO wiped everything out on Isle of Palms, property values there, exponentially increased by millions of dollars. Those who couldn't keep pace sold and moved to Hilton Head, Pawleys Island or elsewhere.
Charleston has a very low cost of living.
Due to supply and demand, it can get very pricey for such a home.
The good news is that the Columbia area has many nice neighborhoods and you're still only ten to twenty minutes from Lake Murray.
Columbia SC has a very low cost of living.
It is a very nice city that is large enough but is still small by Atlanta standards, and there is no hellacious commute like Atlanta.
You don't have nearly as much to do as in Atlanta but there is much more there than in most every city except Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta, Charlotte (among ALA TN NC SC GA cities) There is more to do in Columbia than Birmingham AL, plus the population as a whole is more educated and the income levels of average folks are significantly higher in Columbia than Birmingham, a consideration if you want to open a business that isn't a pawn shop or title pawn or repo man business.
Columbia is close enough to the MOUNTAINS in North Carolina....FRANKLIN NC, CASHIERS NC, ASHEVILLE NC and to the beaches MYRTLE BEACH, SC due East, CHARLESTON area beaches Southeast, Edisto south, Hilton Head Island, southwest.
Rural areas 35 to 40 miles from the city area of Columbia SC are dirt cheap in property cost such that you can purchase in some spots 55 acres for very little cost. Crime is low in these areas but they tend to be timber lots (wooded pine tree areas) and farms. Life is very slow in these areas as there is very little retail, as they are close enough to the big city and there is no traffic congestion as Birmingham, Atlanta and Charlotte and Raleigh have, well out of those four only ATLANTA has real congestion!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAVANNAH GA has a very nice climate and the cost of living is low.
THE PROBLEM IS THE SAME AS WITH AUGUSTA, THERE ARE HUGE CRIME RIDDEN AREAS THAT WOULD MAKE YOU THINK YOU'RE IN BALTIMORE, CHICAGO, GARY INDIANA, NEWARK NJ, NEW ORLEANS. Savannah has improved somewhat but Charleston SC is a better overall pick for a coastal city.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
North Carolina has very nice cities (Research Triangle Area) and Charlotte area but the winters are cold by Southern Standards.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atlanta area is much colder in winter than Augusta, or Columbia SC, and certainly much much colder than Charleston or Savannah.
Atlanta area is about 3 to 5 degrees cooler in Summer than either Augusta or Columbia which both can be unbelievably hot with very high humidity.
You can find more info on any city or area you might be considering by going to the city-data forums at www.city-data.com , if I am not mistaken.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember 24 to 35 miles out, is considered a short commute in the Atlanta area.
Nearly everywhere else 24 to 35 miles out is considered the boonies.
That is not a bad thing if the road network is good.
If you have a bunch of RR Crossings and georgia-red clay roadsides, the asphalt is terrible when heavy rains come because the red clay makes the road almost as slippery as ice. The other thing is deer and colliding with them between 4 am and 8am, and between 5pm and 10pm. Avoiding trains is one thing but avoiding deer, well that is a different story in Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, or Tennessee, ask anyone that owns an Auto Paint & Body Shop. Between about now and the end of December is when deer go searching for mates and the activity increases potential car-deer colisions.
There are a number of smaller southern cities and towns that are excellent retiree destinations. These same cities don't offer the same employment opportunities for professional white collar jobs with good salaries. Other than the medical professionals, and lawyers and very successful business owners, there isn't much there for a highly educated young professional. They have to go to the big cities in the south, unless they wish to be underemployed and underpaid, and most have massive student debt to knock away before they can think of a wife and kids and the house with the picket fence...
Thus, many of the smaller towns and cities have an abundance of moe-rons with high school diplomas and GED's, so you get Jethro Bodine types both wealthy and average earners. The south traditionally has favored local-standards for education which translates to dumb down the curriculum so young Johnny can pass and play football and hope to get a scholarship to Bama to play for the Tide.
To state that the average southerner is less educated than someone from the northeast, midwest, northwest, west coast is a huge understatement.
By age fifty, it probably evens out as the southerner has an advanced degree from the school of hard knocks by that time
Those in the outlying Atlanta suburbs within a 55 mile circle around Atlanta are far more educated for only having a high school diploma than anyone elsewhere in the South with just a high school diploma. Maybe it is the faster pace of life.
Towns and small cities very close to Atlanta tend to benefit from better educated citizens and better schools and better employment opportunities for even those with only a high school diploma. THUS, TOWNS AND SMALL CITIES VERY CLOSE TO ATLANTA ARE GENERALLY EXCELLENT CHOICES except during long recessions and severe economic downturns.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: October 31, 2017 08:19AM

Rome is a nice town, my wife and I did a 100 mile bicycle ride there once. You'd be right between Choo Choo Corvairs (Knoxville), Corvair Atlanta, and Vulcan Corvairs (Birmingham). All three are active clubs. Vulcan and Atlanta co-host Springfest with Heart of Georgia and Queen City Corvair clubs.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 31, 2017 08:50AM

George the house across the street from me just went up for sale buy that and you'll have me for a neighbor. For around 250,000 you get 3700 sq ft house with garage, 40x40 shop with giant carport, boat house a dock and boat landing but only an acre of land, another 50,000 gets another acre next door with it's own landing and dock. Not a lot of land but nice catching fish out of the back yard.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: October 31, 2017 05:22PM

David, Mike, thanks for the response. We've camped in the areas around Rome before, so we are a little familiar with the area. We like it, a lot. I was hoping we would find a couple of Corvair owners in the Rome area,

Don, as appealing as that sounds, I really want to get closer to the mountains. If I'm going to be that close to sea level, I want it to be in a schooner. I'm more of the Grizzly Adams type anyway.

J3M, I appreciate all the info, and you're right, Florida has no state tax, and it is one of the top recommended states for federal retirees.... that is, if you like the temperature and humidity at 100 for 9 months of the year, and you like both the flora and fauna to try to kill you on a daily basis.

Northwest Georgia is our primary focal point for right now. May change in the future though..

'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 31, 2017 06:55PM

Sad you have to be concerned with taxes...so many mild / nice places

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 01, 2017 08:18AM

Tax discussion are funny. It takes $X to run a local economy and $X to run the state economy. A resident needs to pay their share. If there is no state income tax, each resident will still pay their share! If there is no personal property tax, the resident will still pay their share. If a person rents an apartment instead of owning house/land, they are still paying their share of local tax.3

So besides going for the easy "NO xxxx Tax" area, one needs to see how much the state and local budget is and what their share will be. Because just because there is no state income tax, the resident will still have to pay to run the state! Just comes out of their pocket in another tax form.

Now you know why border towns are popular in some states. You get to choose where and how you pay your taxes!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: November 01, 2017 05:54PM

You may want to review this information about the various states financial stability - which will affect the residents eventually as pointed out above

US States Financial Rankings

Check out the other links on the site as well, some excellent information available for those contemplating a change.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.