home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
It Can Happen To Anyone!
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 28, 2017 07:46PM

I rebuilt a trans to be and look just like new as you can see by the pictures. I actually built this this spring but just now was able to get the new engine and drivetrain in the car. What I went for the first drive and as I shifted into second there was a little grind but not bad. 3rd and 4th were fine, then I came to the corner and I downshifted. 3rd was good but second was a grind as was first! Well that wasn't good as it continued the same for the rest of the drive. That means the engine comes back out that was JUST put in the car.

The trans comes off the diff and I take it apart and I start looking at things trying to figure out the why of the grinding in first AND second. I had an idea it might be blocker rings as in I screwed up and put in the wrong blockers or left something out. What I did find was the blocker rings with no clearance as you can see. I'm asking myself what did I do?

I get the book out and make sure of what I am looking at as the blocker rings are different heights for 1-2 and 3-4. Here are the two removed blocker rings.

Then here is a used known GM blocker ring to check the heights and they are the same.

Here is the used blocker ring on the first gear, lo and behold there is clearance at the teeth.

I had two other new aftermarket 1-2 blocker rings but they also had no clearance! So it wasn't anything I did other than trusting the manufacturer! WHEW!
Here are two used GM cleaned up blocker rings sitting on the gears and there is clearance.

At the last after reassembly I use a screwdriver and apply pressure to the blocker ring and as you can see the clearance is still there. Now it goes back in the car and I will do a test drive sometime on Sunday. I expect everything to be OK.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It Can Happen To Anyone!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 28, 2017 07:59PM

Happens just when you don't need it! The New ons can be shortened easily?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 28, 2017 08:06PM

Not thinking he's having an issue with the ring height. More like the inside cone diameter is too large. I usually check them for clearance at the teeth plus how far the gear cone pilots into the blocker ring notch.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: October 29, 2017 05:40AM

Easy to check BEFORE assembling transconfused smiley, I do it all the time with Muncies and Super T-10's

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Date: October 29, 2017 06:06AM

I normally check and have checked but the quality has been there in the past and then I got lazy!

Yes, the cone in the blocker is to large not that the ring is to long.

I'm not sure what I am going to do for parts other than good used for now. This might be another part I will have to look into having made in the USA.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: October 29, 2017 07:50AM

Ken, can we ask where you got the problem blocker rings?

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: October 29, 2017 08:06AM

Ken,

What year was the transmission?

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: October 29, 2017 11:43AM

As to where I got the blocker rings will have to wait until I call the supplier and talk with them.

This is a 64-65 Trans.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.