home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stories of Garage Gremlins
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: October 29, 2017 11:12AM

Well, I can't understand why I lose track of anything!

btw: Check out that C-clamp!
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 29, 2017 11:20AM

Years ago I lost a part I "needed" to finish something and after a day of looking I called Marco and he had a part to sell me.

He told me "You know as soon as you get home with this part you will find the missing one". HE WAS CORRECT! I got home and moved a box to set down the purchased part down and behind the box ---- THE MISSING PART!!!

Yes there be gremlins....

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: October 29, 2017 12:10PM

This picture makes my OCD-ness rage out of control. Must. Stop. Thinking. About. That. Mess. 😁

SteveInMarietta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I can't understand why I lose track of
> anything!
>
> [www.corvair.org]
> /MWCFD/replacements/LR-jamb6.jpg
>
> btw: Check out that C-clamp!
> Steve

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: October 29, 2017 05:14PM

I put a used engine in my F250 that I pulled from a van. I spent two days cleaning and looking for a missing idler pulley. The van had two and I could only find one. The two off the van were rough and rusty but the one I could find from the truck was brand new. I went to buy the missing pulley and realized the truck had different belt routing and only needed one idler pulley.

The worst part was that I knew it was going to be a long term project so I took pictures and labeled all the parts I took off the truck. At least the garage got organized.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 29, 2017 07:44PM

rowin4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On forgetting things, I have a friend that carries
> a note pad with him at all times. At breakfast and
> during the day he makes notes on what he
> wants/needs to do during the day and crosses them
> off as he gets them done. He said he used to go
> out to the garage 50 feet away, get there and just
> stand there because he couldn't remember what he
> went out there for. To me this is so sad as he is
> only 60.

Every morning I get up with nothing to do, and by noon, I have half of it done, and I stop. That way tomorrow I will wake up with noting to do except to finish doing nothing from the day before. This is my idea of a perpetual time machine.. smileys with beer

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 30, 2017 07:37AM

Mess?confused smiley

That's how it is under a car when you need all those tools and do not want to keep standing up to put away one tool to pick up another tool. I'm too old to up down up down up down.....smiling bouncing smiley

Now if it still looks that way 5 months after the part has been cut out and welded back in,,,,,,yep, you would be in my garage!sad smiley

Steve, I have several C-clamps like that, got to love them. Also have two 24" long vice-grips used for holding stuff to weld.

[www.tooltopia.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 30, 2017 07:49AM

My Dad used to blame my Brother and me for misplacing his tools. A couple years after we went out on our own, he said he still couldn't fine things, but no longer had us to blame! That's OK Dad!
I like to think I'm quasi organized! But I also find tools, small pats and other items seem to grow feet!
As for the Corvair hobby... I also use the zip lock bag and sharpie trick. Removed parts are organized in marked box's for re-assembly. But over the years I can count on several bags and some parts to just vanish when it comes to put things together.... Except......

When I restored Dad's Rampside. Never before have I actually found every clip, fastener, small screw and bit part! This project was vairy different. It seems "nothing" was misplaced! This never happens! I have even recently done some motorcycle work and some small bit's disappeared! But the Rampside project, everything was there!
Call it what you may, but I like to think Dad was there in spirit keeping things sorted. I have no other explanation. But fast forward to today and I cannot find my favorite 3/8 drive ratchet handle, one metric allen wrench set, small ball peen hammer........................................

confused smiley

Corventure Dave

Posted by: yodman ()
Date: October 30, 2017 12:05PM

I am a young Corvair man myself, at only 28 years old, and I suffer from "Sometimers" whole-heartedly.

My garage looks like that of SteveInMarietta's!

Chaos abound, I have a pretty firm grip on where most things are. Except my 10mm and 13mm sockets. I have literally bought two tool sets just to replenish my shallows and deeps.

I work on a lot of Germans.

There is method to my madness.

However, it has become so maddening at times when I misplace stuff that I will begin rearranging the garage tonight, with the help of the fiance.

Need to get 7 cars in there before the snow decides to fly and the county decides to dump salt on us. I live on dirt roads, but alas winter is coming.

I may have too many vehicles. The first step is admitting you have a problem, right? Then again, if you don't remember that it's a problem, is it really a problem at all?

^^^ That's my Sometimer's speaking.

~Cody

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: October 30, 2017 03:01PM

I was just sitting behind my desk and drinking my cup of coffee. I set it down, now I can't find it.

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: October 30, 2017 03:08PM

Tom, I found it in my garage.
Steve

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: October 30, 2017 07:02PM

There was a gremlin. A co-worker walked away with my coffee thinking it was his.

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.