Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
66 4spd Sticky shifting
Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: October 27, 2017 05:45PM

This has probably been discussed but I could not find a previous post with the same symptoms. My 66 4spd is always sticky coming out of 3rd gear. After driving a while and warming up it gets worse coming out of 3rd and also gets sticky coming out of the other gears as well, although not as bad as 3rd. The shifter rod parts are new, brass rod bushings, quick shift kit and coupler. The tranny was rebuilt by the PO and goes into all gears fine, at any temp. The problem is only when coming out of a gear. I am currently running Amsoil GL-4 synthetic (forgot the weight, 80-90 I believe). Can this oil cause stickiness? I wonder if things are too tight internally. The clutch components are also new and free play is about 1 1/2 - 2". Any ideas would be appreciated.

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 66 4spd Sticky shifting
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: October 27, 2017 06:34PM

I run that same Amsoil in both of my cars and it made them shift better.
Have you disassembled the shifter and made sure the pins are not worn out in it?
These can cause the shifter to hang up.

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 06:41PM by MattNall.

Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: October 27, 2017 07:40PM

The shifter housing and pins are new. With the shift rod coupler disconnected there is free, full range of movement. I made my own rod and the rear bushing was a little sticky at first but is free now, at least with the coupler disconnected from the transmission. This winter I may put the trannny in 3rd gear and pull the coupler pin to check the alignment.

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: October 28, 2017 04:11AM

Remove the quick shift kit and things will get much better. It's a problem many run into when trying to use the quick shift mechanism. Due to increased length of shifter ball the resulting problems are magnified from the other end.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 28, 2017 04:50AM

Try this. Start pulling lightly on the shifter before you step on the clutch. This often finds the sweet spot for the gears to let go as soon as they are free.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 29, 2017 12:02PM

"Trans rebuilt by previous owner"

Not knowing what was done or who that is, it could be lots of different things but not the gear oil. My bet would be on the slider assy in the trans if it isn't the shifter shaft sticking or the shifter base.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 29, 2017 12:14PM

I'd try an easy fix and cut that freeplay in half and report back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.