Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
mag wheel covers price
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: October 27, 2017 08:29AM

A vendor recently listed a set of 13" NOS mag wheel covers on e-Bay with an opening bid of $600; they received no bids. When the vendor relisted them, the Buy It Now price was posted as $1000. There's always the argument about supply and demand, just wondered what you thought about these prices?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mag wheel covers price
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: October 27, 2017 08:40AM

I suppose someone desperate for NOS will pay what they feel is reasonable.
$600 for NOS I would say is a good price. I don't know that raising the price makes them any more desirable if they did not sell at $600.

Lee J

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 28, 2017 07:38AM

I have seen it many times on eBay, where a part doesn't sell, and it is relisted at a higher price, and it does sell. The mag wheel cover is vey similar in design to the wire wheel cover, and some of the parts are interchangeable, even though they are different. I had a damaged wire wheel cover, and also a damaged mag cover, and was able to make one good wire wheel cover out of the two. In my experience, the wire wheel cover is more sought after, even though it was more commonly found when picking dealership parts rooms. I would say that for every mag set that I found, I found at least 4 sets of the wires. I sold NOS wire sets for $200 per cover back in the late 1980's & early 1990's. If you figure that was almost 30 years ago, $600 for a set of 4 is bargain basement pricing.
NOS parts are running out. Back in the 1980's & 1990's, you could find NOS Corvair parts at local swap meets in volume. Today, you can search the fields at Carlisle and Hershey, and barely find anything, and when you do, the prices are usually more than you can purchase it from a Corvair vendor for. In fact, many of the vendors that I have known for 30 years tell me that they no longer bring any Corvair parts, and they sell them in bulk to the Corvair vendors. It is a fact of life that it is easier to sell in bulk to one person, then to try to sell them off individually one at a time to many people.

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: October 28, 2017 02:26PM

The ad in question is a bit more retarded than this Craigslist ad. But not by much.drinking smiley

[sandiego.craigslist.org]

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: October 29, 2017 01:07PM

Having had an original, survivor car (for 25 years) that was ordered with the mag caps and that it still had the factory window sticker on it, I was stuck with having them. My personal opinion of the mag caps was and always will be that they only look good on certain cars, whereas the wires look good on just about any car. The car I had did look fairly good with them, so I never changed them out.

But the basic fact, IMHO, is that since they only look good on select cars,eye popping smiley THAT is why they never sold as well as the wires. They are, simply put, butt-ugly.tongue sticking out smiley The truth of that is born out in the sales figures. Sure, some people like them, and that's ok. It's all a matter of taste.

Having said that, it's also my opinion that ALL mag caps are overpriced, as vendors consistantly list them at the same price as wires. By rights, they should be selling them for HALF the price of wires! Why anyone would pay the price of wires for a set of mag caps is beyond me.confused smiley But then too, history shows us that some people will buy anything, too.eye rolling smiley

Just my opinion, mind you, just my opinion. (Let the flame wars begin!) LOL

-Mark

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 29, 2017 02:52PM

"They are, simply put, butt-ugly."

Sad, . . . . there is just NO accounting for taste.eye rolling smiley
Or lack there of.grinning smiley

In my ever so humble opinion, if you can not afford REAL wire wheels, you should not try and fake it.hot smiley

To me, fake wire wheel covers, just look cheap!
Where as, compared to most every other "fake-mag" wheel cover, Chevrolet actually did a pretty decent job on theirs.

I have had several people think mine were real. GO figure.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: CZenner ()
Date: October 30, 2017 03:39AM

I love the mag wheel covers. I paid $100 for a set of 4 2 years ago and put them on my '68.

Chris Zenner
Elma, Iowa
1968 Monza Coupe
Member of CORSA
Member of ICE (Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts)
Member SAE, ASME, ASM

Date: October 30, 2017 04:40AM

To me, the wire caps are a beautiful luxury touch, even if they represent (to some) a substitute for the real thing. True wire wheels are also beautiful, and they are both very acceptable upgrades.grinning smiley

I understand the teen and twenty-something generations seem to think chrome looks cheap. To my generation, the opposite is true. It's why the auto companies slathered on the chrome on high-end cars back in the decades of the mid 1900's, and now everything is painted ONE color, with little if any chrome. BUT chrome IS making a come-back, if you notice.

Strange how styles and tastes change over the generations, and what's old is new again.smoking smiley

-Mark

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: October 30, 2017 07:10AM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I understand the teen and twenty-something
> generations seem to think chrome looks cheap. To
> my generation, the opposite is true. It's why the
> auto companies slathered on the chrome on high-end
> cars back in the decades of the mid 1900's, and
> now everything is painted ONE color, with little
> if any chrome. BUT chrome IS making a come-back,
> if you notice.
>
> -Mark

What I think looks absolutely appalling is the "blackout" style that is available on so many new cars.
Blacked-out wheels, grille, even taillights!
I used to live not too far from an area where that look was prevalent during the 60s and 70s.

No ghetto look for me.
I like shiny too... even around the wheel wells!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 30, 2017 07:16AM

I have always been a your car your choice, but even when these things first came out I was saying W*F was GM thinking, they are ugly. I think the normal Vair hubcaps looked better.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: October 30, 2017 07:52AM

I love them on the right car. I had them on my 65 Convertible for a long time. I switched to larger tires and s-10 wheels. I also have a set of 4-mag style wheel covers (13") that are claimed to be NOS. There are no signs that they were ever installed on a vehicle but I don't have the original packaging. Still waiting for the "right car".

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: October 30, 2017 08:05AM

I gave a set of mag wheel covers to a student at McPherson college when I was back for their annual show with my Corsa. I think I had 6 with one being broken/disassembled and I had no interest, a student had a LM and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread.

I guess I should have got at least a free drink out of it!

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: October 30, 2017 09:24AM

I love the Mag wheel cover look! If only they were available for a reasonable price in 15".

Date: October 30, 2017 03:17PM

Since I mentioned style and taste, I must add this; I've come to the conclusion that, generally speaking, it seems that bigger wheels are now used to make up for the lack of good styling. Got a car that lacks good styling, is bland and boring, or is just plain ugly? Just throw on a set of bigger wheels!

The truth is that styling sells. Always has. The opposite is also true. Customers flee in droves if what you are selling is ugly. So just look at sales figures for a gauge on whether a car or other item is good-looking or not. It's why wire wheel covers sold well and mag caps not so much. They aren't totally ugly, just not as nice or popular as the wires.

Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder. smileys with beer

-Mark

Date: October 30, 2017 07:14PM

...Since we're speaking of ugly.
It took me about 10 minutes to decide what a tasteless mistake I had made.

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 30, 2017 07:25PM

Pedigo Wrote:
> ...Since we're speaking of ugly.
> It took me about 10 minutes to decide what a
> tasteless mistake I had made.

Oh yeah, wires would have looked much better on that.

NOT ! ! !

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: October 30, 2017 07:29PM

It would have taken me 9 minutes to scorn wire hubcaps.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 30, 2017 07:30PM

How about a set of KH's behind those caps??? drinking smiley

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 30, 2017 07:32PM

MattNall Wrote:
> How about a set of KH's behind those caps??? drinking smiley

You might just be on to something,Matt.
An ironic abortion at best,yet trend-setting for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2017 07:33PM by Pedigo.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: October 30, 2017 09:58PM

Try painting the wheels Flat Black. No cover would look good over dirty green wheels. A thin White or Red wall works well.

Attachments:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.