home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Heater Blower Motor Relay Questions
Posted by: CorvairShaggy ()
Date: October 26, 2017 08:58AM

OK. So I have been reading here and found some good info. BUT, it is also a bit confusing. I am replacing the Heater Blower Motor with a new one (AC DELCO 15-80666 eBAy $22). I do want to install a relay because I have had issues in the past with not using one. My question is, I DO want the 3-Speed function to still work properly. So, what would be the proper wiring for it? I have seen the diagrams here, but confused on where it needs to mount. I have seen pictures where it is mounted to the blower housing, but also about mounting under the dash. But, I have also read where people say that depending on where you mount it and wire it, it will not have the 3 speed function, and you only need it to be wired for High-Speed only. So, can anyone help explain this so it's not as confusing? (or a link to where someone has already covered this)
Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heater Blower Motor Relay Questions
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 26, 2017 09:04AM

Current on low and medium isn't that much so I like to leave their wiring as-is. High position on the switch is rewired to activate the relay. It makes sense to mount the relay near the fan to minimize wire lengths and locate the relay near a good battery power source. My method requires a new wire from the switch to the relay and of course wiring at the relay itself but it's worth it in the end.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 26, 2017 09:19AM

In my Greenbrier I never had a use for low or medium fan speeds. I did install one of the AC fan motors to get more air delivered to the front of the cab and windshield defroster. I also installed a relay.

So I only have high for the fan motor speed. Wiring was simple. I located the relay in the engine box. 12 volts to the fan from the relay, and the fan switch wire is routed to activate the relay.
For the Van at least now I now have a functioning defroster and can also push heat into the cab quickly.
While driving at highway speeds the engine fan alone does a fair job keeping things flowing. I only need a occasional boost from the electric fan motor.

Corventure Dave

Date: October 26, 2017 09:27AM

OK. So basically I can mount the relay where the voltage regulator went, and can get my 12V and Ground right there. Then run a wire from the switch thru the tunnel pan then up to the relay, then run another wire from the relay down to the motor, and tie it in with the existing wire.

On the switch just pull out the high speed wire from the harness plug and tape it off, and install the new wire there. I hate cutting/splicing that old brittle wire and connectors...

And, I understand the low and medium do not really do much good, and I'm doing this on a 64 Convertible, so I know this is pointless, but I just like to have things work as close to original as possible. (point of the making sure all 3 speeds still work) I really enjoy the convertible during the Spring/Fall, but at night with the top down, it just gets cold. That way I can look like every other goofball driving a convertible with the top down and the windows up (except most do that in the summer with the AC on).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 09:30AM by CorvairShaggy.

Date: October 26, 2017 09:57AM

Here's the way I would wire it...

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Date: October 26, 2017 10:14AM

Color added for clarity...

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Date: October 26, 2017 10:17AM

OK, so just unplug the high speed wire from the resistor and run it to the relay. Then the resistor will have just 2 wires plugging into it? But now I am confused about the wire you show going from H on switch to Ground. Or is that the Orange wire that has the dark wire connected to it at the harness on the back of the switch?

The back of the switch has an Orange wire with another dark wire, the 12V, a Blue Wire, and another Dark colored wire. At the resistor, there is the Orange, Blue and Dark colored Wire. What speed matches which color wire?

That will work since I am replacing that as well. The fiber board was toast, along with the harness connector, so just going to redo everything.

**I was typing this as you were editing. Just saw the update.**

OK, so you are going new wire straight out of the switch to the relay then. So that means the original High Speed wire will be just taped off?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 10:20AM by CorvairShaggy.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 26, 2017 10:23AM

Welcome to the CCF! Start another Topic and intro yourself!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 26, 2017 11:32AM

Corvairshaggy wrote: "OK, so you are going new wire straight out of the switch to the relay then. So that means the original High Speed wire will be just taped off?"

Craig replies:

I guess I need to know exactly what you're working on. Either at the switch or at the resistor there are two wires on the high-speed terminal.

What I put in the schematic is the version where the two wires are at the resistor. If your car or truck has the two wire connection at the switch, my diagram needs to be adjusted.

What year and model do you have?

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: October 26, 2017 12:07PM

64 Monza Convertible. At the switch, there is an Orange Wire with an additional dark colored wire (attached in the connector) the 12V power (another dark wire), a Blue Wire, and another dark Colored wire. At the resistor, there is 3 wires. The orange wire, the blue wire, and the dark colored wire.

Date: October 26, 2017 12:42PM

Here's the diagram redrawn for a '64 with the double connection at the switch rather than the resistor. Be sure to insulate the double-wire terminal that you take out of the switch. (tape or shrink wrap)

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 12:44PM by cnicol.

Attachments:
Date: October 26, 2017 12:54PM

OK. Cool. So I was on the right track on the switch side, now I am confused on the relay side. What relay is pictured? I thought it was a AR107 3-Connector?

Sorry for being such a dunce, but I've always had trouble reading schematics. confused smiley

Date: October 26, 2017 01:04PM

It's the common, aftermarket, Bosch-style, "ice cube" relay. Sold by everybody, everywhere.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: dansk ()
Date: October 26, 2017 01:22PM

Here's the relay and pig tail. Napa has the relay and Autozone has the pigtail.

Dann

Dann
So. Calif.
Granada Hills
Daily drivers
1996 Ford E350 Powerstroke diesel
2003 Volkwagen Jetta
Fun cars
1965 Corsa Turbo (currently undergoing total restoration) + 65 Corsa 140 waiting for resto
1994 Dodge Viper RT10
1996 Dodge Viper GTS
1998 Dodge Viper GT2

Attachments:
Date: October 26, 2017 02:29PM

So, which relay is better? I've read here that the "Ice Cube" can cause the car to still run for a few seconds after the switch is off, but I'me sure they are cheaper.

The NAPA AR107 is $55 on their website, and The Duralast Pigtail does not show up on their site, so probably have to go in person and order.

Date: October 26, 2017 02:44PM

Either relay is fine provided there are no additional components inside (resistors.diodes). I purchase the Bosch relays 200 at a time and that supply last me three to four months.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: October 26, 2017 03:02PM

OK. So there is no diode needed??? Been doing some more reading and from I can gather, you have to have a relay with a diode or put a diode in-line with the existing wire to keep it from "feedbacking" power back. Just trying to make sure I've got everything. I am going to do a step-by-step guide with pictures when I do this, so hopefully will help out another poor soul....

What is the model # of "Ice Cube" you use, and would you happen to have the socket # as well? Going to try to make this look as nice as possible.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: October 26, 2017 08:19PM

CorvairShaggy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the model # of "Ice Cube" you use, and
> would you happen to have the socket # as well?
> Going to try to make this look as nice as
> possible.

Numbers are right in dansk's picture. Follow the arrow for the socket # from Autozone.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: October 26, 2017 08:43PM

If you use the AR107 and wire according to our FAQs, you will likely need a diode.

If you use the "ice cube" and wire according to my diagram, you will not need a diode.

The "Ice Cube" has five terminals (one more than an AR107). That allows you to have two separate power inputs to the relay. It's one source or the other, not connected together like the AR107. Separate power inputs prevents power crossover and feedback to the ignition system.

Autozone 16356 relay, 85170 socket, (for example)

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: October 27, 2017 07:45AM

OK. That explains alot. Just ordered everything. Hopefully I will get time next weekend to do this, and I will take pictures and do a good write-up so hopefully this will help out some other folks in the future.

16 Gauge wire OK?

Thanks Again!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 07:52AM by CorvairShaggy.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.