Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Flattening Agent for Interior Paint
Posted by: DRCORVAIR ()
Date: October 25, 2017 04:34PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for a flattening agent that will work w/ single stage acrylic urethane? Flat paints are common now but I'm looking for the semi/ satin of our original interiors. I'm likely using Omni or Wanda paint- still in trial mode.
I found a generic Transtar product but have not tried it.Some have suggested top coating w/ satin clear but I'm concerned about it being uniform and the extra steps to mess up, I'm learning as I go...smiling smiley

Thanks,
David

63 Greenbrier 4 spd from Tuscon under restoration
65 500 140 x 4 spd waiting on resto but driveable
95 Miata M Edition- Merlot w/ BBS
09 SAAB Aero Combi 2.8T, 300 HP, 6 Spd, AWD
06 RAV4 V6
11 Hyundai Elantra Wagon (Daughter's new ride)
62 15' Serro Scotty Sportsman Silverside
63 13' Serro Scotty Sportsman Gaucho
68 15' Serro Scotty HiLander
OMG I'm Nucking Futz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flattening Agent for Interior Paint
Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: October 26, 2017 03:02AM

It is difficult to flatten single stage paint reliably. Gloss can vary significantly with temperature, humidity, and spray technique. Generally speaking a satin finish will be achieved by adding 50% flattener by volume which reduces coverage significantly. That equals more coats and more chances for problems.

Single stage paint is a combo of pigment (color) and resin (gloss, durability). It is designed to be shiny and durable. Addition of enough flattener to change the gloss also decreases durability. If your spray application isn't perfectly even you'll end up with stripes of uneven gloss.

My advice is like others. Use basecoat and buy a purpose made satin clear. If you're stuck on single stage I recommend you buy the flattener from the paint system you're going to use. Follow the directions and make several test panels until you get the gloss you want.

Another option depending on the paint line you choose could be basecoat with a hardener and no clearcoat. Most paint lines have a low gloss interior option for the basecoat.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 26, 2017 04:18AM

In the 90s I did the interior on my 61 with Omni paint. I told the person at the paint store what I was looking for, she made an educated guess at how much flattener to add and it came out well.
I probably gave it two coats one after another, more for spots I may have missed than any problem with the paint. Just lucky I guess. It's maybe a tad flatter than in my dreams but I'm not real fussy.
It was a single stage paint but I had to mix in hardener and reducer, the durability was excellent. The exterior has gone to pot but the interior is still looking good.
I rely on good paint store people as I don't really know what I'm doing. The water based high volume low flow or whatever it's called these days would be a whole new learning thing for me too.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: October 26, 2017 05:42AM

I have used Utech tint base on several of my cars and it works very well and has not seemed to affect the durability. I have used it on the under carriage and wheel wells

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 05:43AM by gnvair.

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: October 26, 2017 06:23AM

While temperature, coat thickness, and humidity (to a lesser extent) will affect flatness, if you have fairly consistent shop temperature and can spray uniform thickness then repeatable uniform flatness can be achieved with single stage paint. Rule of thumb is the thicker the coat the glossier the surface and the cooler the temperature the glossier the surface. Since you are in trial mode once you pick the paint/flattener you want to use do some small test panels to dial in what you want.

PPG sells flattening agent compatible with Omni, if you decide to go that route be sure to get the Product Sheet since it will give you color/flattener/reducer/hardener mix chart guidelines for 0%, 30%, and 60% gloss.

For what it is worth while I have not worked with Omni I have done several jobs of different desired flatness with Deltron (both DCC color and DCU clear) with easy coverage and excellent results. There is no reason similar results could not be expected with Omni.

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: October 26, 2017 06:29AM

I've had good results with satin clear coat rattle cans.

The gloss clear coat is (of course) too shinny.

The satin clear coat dulls down the gloss of the base coat.

Posted by: DRCORVAIR ()
Date: October 26, 2017 02:28PM

Thanks for the good info- I will probably go with a satin clear on a base, The interior is mostly a different color anyway.
To clarify, it was a 2K (catalyzed) single Stage I was looking to use (Interior and Ext). I'm told that will be closer to the original finish vs Base/ Clear. I'm OK with using whatever approach is likely to come out the best for an "occasional" painter (Not a newbie but haven't sprayed a whole car since lacquer days, was pretty decent at it and have done some smaller items w/ 2K single that have come our pretty well).

So if I should be pursuing base/ clear for the whole project- Please chime in.

63 Greenbrier 4 spd from Tuscon under restoration
65 500 140 x 4 spd waiting on resto but driveable
95 Miata M Edition- Merlot w/ BBS
09 SAAB Aero Combi 2.8T, 300 HP, 6 Spd, AWD
06 RAV4 V6
11 Hyundai Elantra Wagon (Daughter's new ride)
62 15' Serro Scotty Sportsman Silverside
63 13' Serro Scotty Sportsman Gaucho
68 15' Serro Scotty HiLander
OMG I'm Nucking Futz

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: October 27, 2017 09:57AM

Jeff at the corvair ranch has what you need,

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.