Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
A Question about Lon Wall's spring loaded idler pulley
Posted by: Bob Helt ()
Date: October 25, 2017 03:24PM

I got a used spring-loaded idler pulley at the 'Toss. It came without any instruction sheet and when I called Lon, he couldn't answer me.

The problem is that the pulley assembly has two 1/2" mounting holes and the oil filter adapter that it is supposed to mount to accepts 3/8" bolts or studs.

Does anyone know how the pulley should mount without having it slop around with 1/8" clearances between the bolts and the holes?

Bob Helt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Question about Lon Wall's spring loaded idler pulley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 25, 2017 03:30PM

Custom.... you need to make bushings...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 25, 2017 03:36PM

Off the top of my head I'd go with a 3/8" X 1/2" steel bushing of the appropriate width. Especially since this is a pivoting area. Can find these at most big box stores.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 25, 2017 04:50PM

[www.corvairunderground.com]

Here are 2 pictures of said idler. 1 looks like it has bushings, 1 does not. Posted from the guy who had no answer.

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: October 25, 2017 04:53PM

Add to cart, problem solved.

John

1962 Rampside, 4.3 Vortec powered.
The thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Sparta Michigan.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 25, 2017 05:12PM

There are supposed to be bushings in there. They need to be slightly longer than the idler is thick. The pulley is supposed to pivot on the bushings. You need to use a lock nut and only snug the bushings, any tighter and you will crush and/or embed the bushing and the clearance will go away and the pulley will not function like it should.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: October 25, 2017 07:49PM

Yeah - Should have two sleeve bushings - And they should have come with the idler kit. See photo. There are two different lengths of bushings. They are the same ID (.382") and OD (.494"). One is .527" long, the other .808" long. They are greased, but not retained in the holes. Maybe they fell out in transit, Bob?

Also - I install this kit by using a pair of the stock studs, (or longer ones). Besides a larger flat washer against the bushing, after the idler goes on, you need a pair of nuts on each stud. One to adjust the light clamping force on the bushing, then another to double-nut it into place. Remember - just snug, not tight. And the washers should slide up snug against the sleeve bushings - NOT against the actual pulley. Also be sure the small lock nut inside the big idler spring is tight. I know the consequences of it coming off. Not good.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.