home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
How do I get the quarter window glass out of the sash?
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: October 24, 2017 08:30PM

I am stripping down the 1964 John Glenn convertible in preparation for restoration. I have removed the rear quarter windows but I have been unable to remove the glass from the pot metal chromed lower sash. I need to remove the glass so I can have the sash re-chromed. I have tried hammering the sash with a wooden block and mallet but it is not budging. Any other suggestions?

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I get the quarter window glass out of the sash?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 24, 2017 08:41PM

Soak with solvent.... then whack it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 24, 2017 09:15PM

Any particular solvent you'd recommend?

Bill Hubbell,

Date: October 24, 2017 09:58PM

Trouble with a lot of solvents is they tend to expand rubber, which is a problem.
Try some hot soapy water.
Put it in a tub along with plenty of soap and add lots of hot hot water.
Warm the window/mount before hand to prevent thermal shock, but I think heat is going to be your best friend on this.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: William Pierson ()
Date: October 25, 2017 05:07AM

I just did the windows on my 1950 Bel Air. I squirted gasoline around the edge and let it set. It worked for me
Bill Pierson

Date: October 25, 2017 10:54AM

Gasoline has not worked so far...

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: October 25, 2017 02:06PM

Razor blade in holder the cut loose the sides as much as possible and lacquer thinner followed by wood block and hammer is what I have used for stubborn ones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: October 25, 2017 02:20PM

Chrome looks pretty good,why not polish it up and use as is? "good" replating of that pot metal piece is going to be LARGE sad smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Date: October 25, 2017 07:48PM

Well, actually the top edge is a bit ragged, but that begs the question - does any part of this actually show when the window is fully rolled up or is it all hidden below the “fuzzies”?

Bill Hubbell,

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 25, 2017 08:54PM

I used a block of 2"x4" and a sharp rap of a hammer, and worked it loose. You need to keep the wood parallel with the glass, or you will shatter it. The sealant that holds the glass is set in place by spraying with a light oil, so you have to be careful that what you "soak" with, doesn't make the sealant tighter. The proper name for this product, is "glass setting tape". It comes in various widths and thickness's. I would take a picture of the part with a measuring tape at one end, so you have a proper reference to get it back in place exactly as it was taken off. Measurements are very important, because even 1/16" can drastically make it more difficult to get the alignment correct when reassembling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.