Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Diameter of PG shift wire
Posted by: SwedishVair ()
Date: October 24, 2017 01:34PM

I have the normal leakage at the rear of the PG shift wire where it changes from the semi rigid wire to the metallic part that screws to the PG. These are two different diameters and I believe the wire is about 8mm and the metallic part around 10mm. Any measuring unit, imperial or decimal, is fine if someone would be kind enough to measure.

I M working on a quick and dirty seal that possibly could be used without even removing the installed shiftwire and would cost very little money.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"

-64 convertible since -89.....-61 Rampside since -12

The vert is now 54 years old, most of them in Sweden with me and the missus as owners.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diameter of PG shift wire
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 24, 2017 03:02PM

Cleaning the break in the vinyl casing and the metal portion that attaches to the transmission, with a good degreaser like Brake Clean. Seal with a coat of RTV and when that's dry wrap with a volcanizing tape like Rescue Tape.
This is the easy way to repair the cable leakage at that transition and also any cable housing cracks.

I prefer to use a heavy duty, heavy wall shrink tubing that has a poly sealant inside. When the shrink tubing is positioned and heated, it shrinks, the poly sealant melts and secures any cracks in the cable making a flexible bonding repair. The only issue is that the shrink tubing I use has to be installed over the shift handle end of the cable. This requires removing the cable to do this repair. Larger shrink tubing that will go over the transmission end of the cable, will not shrink small enough to seal the cable.
I have one cable that the repair is now 15 years old and dry..

Corventure Dave

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 24, 2017 04:23PM

To answer the question the plastic part of the cable is very near 1/4" and the steel is 3/8".

Like Dave above I prefer the shrink tube method but they now have a triple wall thickness that will shrink small enough and go over the trans end. To be on the safe side I do put a little dab of RTV just inside the ends of the shrink tube.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: October 25, 2017 05:04AM

Thanks guys for quick answers !

I have made a circular piece of steel about 2" long, split inthe middle. Next step will be to drill through with a drill slightly larger than the plastic and from the other end slightly larger than the steel.
I will then fill the drill-out with RTV, put it over the split and secure it with three hose clamps.
The advantage with this method is it can be done with the cable installed.

I have earlier tried the rescue tape method and found it has a quite limited life span since the tape will be dissolved by the ATF.

I have been thinking about the crimp tube solution too but it was very recently I learned that there was those with very high crimping avaliable. Probably will save this solution as a backup plan if plan A does not work.

Now, is the plastic part slightly larger or smaller than 1/4 inch and is the metal exactly 3/8 ?

The vert is now 54 years old, most of them in Sweden with me and the missus as owners.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: October 25, 2017 03:41PM

Per, I wonder if you used name-brand rescue tape previously, and pre-cleaned the cable thoroughly?

I have done this repair on several of my cars about five years ago, and it was a permanent and dry fix. I never used RTV.

Sorry, I do not have the answer to your plastic part size question.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: October 26, 2017 12:02AM

It was some years ago I used the resque tape method and when it failed I switched for another used cable that has since failed too.
Cleaning; I suppose I did and in my world there is only two types of matter outside the failing wire. Dirt, which will not compromise the integrity of the r-tape and ATF wich will continue to come out. In my case it disolved the tape and rendered it useless.
Brand;Not too many brands to choose from here in Sweden. How do you know its a quality tape at all ?
Switching to a new cable is obviously the prefered method but at the time I did not have the means to do that. Its not only the price, also added is shipping to Sweden by Fedex or similar, import tax and finally sales tax of 20% on the total sum which doubles the price from Clarks.

Surely someone has a cable laying about and can do the measurements.

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: October 26, 2017 07:39AM

Ken, Where do you get this shrink tube and what is the name? Jim

Date: October 27, 2017 11:45AM

Thanks for helping me out with the measurements Steve.
Measurements are 0.413 and 0.297 if anyone wonders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.