home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
One-off Corvair project found
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: October 24, 2017 06:27AM

[www.hemmings.com]

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One-off Corvair project found
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 24, 2017 06:47AM

Quite a story! A couple of points in the story ran pretty close to home for me: Movie prop storage spots in LA, Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake, and of course Jeff at CA Corvair. Thanks for posting!

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 24, 2017 08:02AM

Kinda looked like this when it was at Jeff's shop!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: October 24, 2017 04:40PM

Cool - saw it at California Corvairs at one of the open houses. I guess that is a real warning for the things that go wrong in the 'life' of a custom. It will be fun to see it actually hit the streets!

Date: October 24, 2017 06:52PM

These kind of "far-out" customs are not really meant for driving - as an old girlfriend used to say - "Oh, that's for looking at..." while pointing to some dust covered treasure in my collection.
How many miles of cruising in the warm California sun would you want to do with that bubble top sealing you in the sauna.
I'd bet that the Monza GT - a much better engineered car - has less than 100 miles on it.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: October 24, 2017 08:14PM

The bubble could be a drawback - you might want the upper part tinted or partially reflectorized, or something.
Still - in the cooler part of the year, or on a pleasant evening, something like that could be a lot of fun.
Actually, my car - "The Toy" had a full roof and no rear window, and the airflow sucked exhaust into the car, and it was hot and unpleasant.
With its rear window and revised exhaust, it is pretty decent with either the mesh top or the vinyl top.

Jay Maechtlen
El Monte, Ca
Yes, it started out in life as a 61 2door.
It has a custom fiberglass skin, and a transverse 3.8 Buick.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 26, 2017 06:10AM

Looks pretty cool, some of those theme cars in the 60s were really something, the Monkees and the Munsters come to mind offhand, but there were a lot of them.
This one reminds me of the Jetsons. "Meet George Jetson, his boy Elroy, daughter Judy, Jane his wife"...
Who is Barry Gremillion and how current is the article? How is the project coming along? What color should it be, silver?
I built model cars when I was a kid and things like this brings back fond memories. In some ways I'm still that kid with a space under the basement stairs.
How cool would it be to roll up to a car show in something like that?
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 26, 2017 09:09AM

Actually this one is way ahead of it's time. It is the only car ever conceived that you can actually make popcorn rite in the cab while driving on a nice summer day. truly forward thinking, and just think about it... this was before microwave ovens!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: mwr ()
Date: October 26, 2017 11:08AM

Well, it wasn't really before microwave ovens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.