Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: UPS Delivery (rantings by a mad Customer)
Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: October 23, 2017 04:57PM

I guess my regular UPS guy has changed routes or something. For over 10 years, this guy always, without being asked, has left my packages in the carport so they are out of sight and out of the rain/snow.

The new guy takes extra steps to go out of his way to leave the packages out in the open. Today I get home from work and 4 brand spanking new BFG Radial T/A tires are just sitting there vulnerable and waiting for any passerby to pluck them up.

I use the UPS "My Choice" service and always leave delivery instructions that state: Leave by side door.

Tomorrow, I'm expecting my new wheels to arrive so I printed off a big sign asking him to leave them in the carport (the one he walks past on his way to the front). Wish me luck!angry smileysad smileyeye rolling smiley

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 12:26PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: UPS Delivery (rantings by a mad man)
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 23, 2017 05:08PM

That would be very irritating.
I once ordered something from Clark's or whoever, and stated that I needed very particular delivery handling due to the neighborhood that I lived in at the time.
When I got home, the package was left right in plain sight, about 10 feet from the sidewalk.
The sad part is, that my delivery instructions were printed right on the delivery tag, just above my name and street number!
The driver was in just too big of a hurry to even bother reading them!

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: October 23, 2017 06:01PM

Delivery folks don't care these days. We have a perfect spot to place packages on the porch where they won't be seen by anyone unless they come all the way up to the front door. Instead, the drivers prop the package right up against the door where they can be seen from over four houses away.

They might as well put one of those waving arm guys in my front yard announcing "Easily steal packages from this location".

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: October 23, 2017 06:08PM

In the delivery business, "Fragile" means "Throw Underhanded".grinning smiley

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: October 23, 2017 06:29PM

UPS...FEDEX...Always in a hurry. Ever notice how FAST they drive in between deliveries. Crazy weaving on the highway too. They give a new meaning to "Time is Money!" eye popping smiley

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: October 23, 2017 06:40PM

I've always had good working relationships with USPS, UPS, and FedEx.
I've talked with them when they ask about my "projects".
Of course, I do tip them at Christmas time, and they appreciate it.

The only problem I had was with a temp. USPS delivery guy on a Sunday.
He threw three packages out of his door onto the grass; I surprised him when I walked up to him as he was throwing.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: October 24, 2017 04:53AM

Last week my USPS carrier rang my front bell to say goodbye as he was reassigned to a route across.town.
He has had some health problems and they were good enough to assign him a non-walking route.
He had been out for.a.couple of operations and his replacement could never find the doorbell I installed next to the garage door!

If they assign. permenent replacement I guess I will have to lay in wait one afternoon to discuss where to deliver and where the bell is.

Ed
Hillsborough, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 24, 2017 05:23AM

I've done FedEx delivery as a Temp during peak season. It works out pretty good as folks don't care so much about Corvairs in December and I claim Zero to get some tax money aside.
As Temps, we often get the packages that are difficult to deliver, third attempts and such. The regular drivers are contractors and get paid by the stop and/or package so they are not inclined to spend much time. Temps are paid by the hour so we can put more effort into it.
UPS are paid by the hour but under pressure to meet performance standards.
I get everything I can by USPS, it's faster and cheaper and my local rural carriers are top notch.
I think poor service from any of top 3 is the exception rather than the rule. I try to do the best I can. Good help can be hard to find these days. They will try to improve or get rid of bad people if they are informed of them.
Valuable packages being stolen is a real problem and drivers are supposed to do what they can to be responsible, claims are not profitable.
If there's a complaint it's sometimes hard to remember them all and where I put them but tires would be out of the ordinary and definitely remembered.
If I see a package from Speedway or something I wonder what they're working on.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: October 24, 2017 08:10AM

I've been pretty fortunate with USPS, UPS, FedEx and DHL alike.
My mailbox is at the bottom of a fairly steep driveway. A good many of the packages won't come close to fitting in it.
All four delivery people make the drive up, and leave packages on the doorstep. Fortunately, we live in the country and there's precious little chance of any casual thief stopping by to nab something.
But as Customer Service goes, they are all really quite good. (The UPS guy even has a treat for the dogs!)
It's been several years since any of them have left one of those claim slips in the mailbox or at the door, instructing me to come to somewhere across town to pick up my packages.
For which I am grateful.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: subdude17349 ()
Date: October 24, 2017 08:37AM

May I change the direction of the rant slightly? I've been pretty fortunate over the years with the delivery folks (UPS, USPS, Fed Ex, etc) doing a decent job and trying to actually get my stuff to me.

My latest hot button: "signature required"

I'm seriously done with all the companies (and individuals) who send stuff UPS signature required, then disable all the UPS My Choice options like electronic signature, re-route, etc. Do these idiots seriously think that I'm sitting home all day waiting for UPS to show up? At least ask me if there's another address to deliver to.

I recently bought a motorcycle part from a guy on the left coast. He didn't bother discussing how to ship it. He sent it signature required, UPS My Choice disabled, no rerouting, my sig only (can't have a neighbor sign) etc. Seriously? The only way for me to get it was to have UPS hold it at their terminal, and me make a 1.5 hour round trip drive to go get it.

Today, I get notice that my insurance company's drug supplier is sending one of my mail order "maintenance drugs". Same deal. So I'm either going to have to take the afternoon off work to be there, or make the drive again. Why? Because some jerk doesn't realize that people actually have jobs.

Jim

65 Corsa Ct, 180/4, Blue/blue/white

Posted by: larry cooper ()
Date: October 24, 2017 09:03AM

I am disgusted with the charges UPS put on shipping. My case in point: for years I have used a certain brand of work pants which had been very durable but recently I purchased some of their pants and they were sorry, they faded, became thread-bare. I saw an ad of another brand of work clothing having a sale on work pants priced at $15 a pair, I ordered a pair for comparison. The company shipped them by UPS - the charge for shipping - $21 . I use the U.S Postal shipping and if a company will not ship to a P.O. box number , I don't buy from them unless it is a large heavy freight item. Larry Cooper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2017 10:30AM by MattNall.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 24, 2017 12:23PM

Bad news here, today my USPS guy told he is going to retire to 20 months. He has been a great guy for many many years. Always gets my stuff out of the weather, never drops or throws anything. Thanks me for clearing the snow in the winter. When he has time he stops a bit to check out my projects.

As far as bad ones, when I was in the Army 50 years ago, I never remember receiving a whole cookie. Some things never change.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: October 25, 2017 01:46PM

I have had relatively good luck getting items delivered to my home...so far.

Fortunately for me, I live on a street where there is no thru traffic. Typically the only people in the neighborhood, live here or are visiting someone who does.

I could probably leave the house or garage open for a week at a time and have no real concern that anyone has entered it or that anything has gone missing, but don't simply because I don't need to tempt fate like that.

When it comes to buying items from vendors, I specify that they are NOT to send items "Signature Required" or they will be getting the item back.

I am NOT (like others have mentioned) going to drive an hour plus each way simply to sign for a package that I paid to have delivered to my home.

On the other side of the package deal is related to sending packages out.

A couple years ago I started using a local shipping type location and usually have them package anything I send out.
It is a little more expensive but if they pack it, they accept responsibility for any damage that might occur during shipping.
I always insure the items and get a tracking number so I can tell when an item was delivered if necessary.
To date I have had no issues.

When it comes to paying or getting paid for an item, I have had good luck using Pay Pal although I will accept personal checks from folks I am familiar with even if we have not yet met.
(Yes I already know that some folks have no use for Pay Pal)

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: October 25, 2017 02:04PM

I recently had a FedEx contract driver leave a package at the street by my mailboxsad smiley Glad it did not vanish as it had a new Seth Emerson Stinger distributor and parts inside it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: October 25, 2017 08:05PM

UPS used to be 100% employee owned (in 1999). That changed and is now more than 10% publicly owned. I wonder if "employees as owners" is a good thing or bad. How does it affect the outlook of the delivery guys. No effect on contractors, of course. The only delivery horror story I have is from a UPS delivery of boots for my wire sets. When I picked up the big box on my doorstep, I noticed a 2" hole near a corner. I was able to follow a trail of boots back to the street where the truck had unloaded it. (hmmm?) Now they are bagged and boxed when shipped.

Date: October 25, 2017 08:13PM

I recently had a FedEx Ground delivery gal give me a call on her personal cell phone so that she didn't have the leave the package out by my gate in the rain!
They always have a huge plastic bag that they can put the package in, but she decided to call since my number was on the package.

First class service and beyond!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: October 25, 2017 08:28PM

1966-Corsa-GT-180 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently had a FedEx Ground delivery gal give me
> a call on her personal cell phone so that she
> didn't have the leave the package out by my gate
> in the rain!
> They always have a huge plastic bag that they can
> put the package in, but she decided to call since
> my number was on the package.
>
> First class service and beyond!

This is just what my USPS regular guy does for me in the winter when my driveway is icy and impassable for a delivery truck... except he keeps my phone number in a personal notepad and calls before he gets close.
My UPS guy used to do that too, until he retired (used to bring dog biscuits, too).
The FedEx guy (a guy nearing retirement) has lugged 40 lb boxes from Rockauto up through 8" of fresh snow by hand.

Some people DO have good work ethics!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: October 25, 2017 09:20PM

There was a story on the NBC nightly news tonight that Amazon is going to start leaving packages inside you house.. You need an electronic door lock and a camera for the service, Amazon will get a one time use code to open your front door and set the package in side your house. Not quite sure how I feel about this, more importantly not sure how my 65# lab is going to feel about a stranger opening her front door, she doesn't like anyone walking past the house on the street.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: October 25, 2017 09:23PM

A friend of mine said the UPS driver hung his $700. dollar race slicks on the fence next to the road. My UPS driver left my Crager Super trick race wheels next door with a out of state contractor. Never got them, did't get my money back either.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: October 25, 2017 10:18PM

For the last couple of years I've been using the USPS all I can. The post office is only a mile from my house and they are nearly always cheaper and quicker. Their priority flat rate boxes can be a bargain if your shipping a heavy part - but maybe not if its a light weight part. I mail parts in the smallest possible box that will allow sufficient padding. I hate it when I get a part in a box that's five times bigger than it needs to be. I just want to pay shipping on the part, not the box !

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.