home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Another headlights puzzler
Posted by: timleimkuhler ()
Date: October 20, 2017 05:41PM

I have searched the forum high and low for the same situation but nothing is presenting itself. The headlights went out on my 66 Corsa while i was driving so i pulled over and checked a few things. Both tails were on but the headlights were out, however, all four came on went i hit the floor switch. Weird. I changed out the floor switch with a new part but no go so I changed out the light switch at the dash. No go. I pulled the off the front bezels and cleaned the ground straps even though they looked pretty clean anyway. Nada. I have been trying to find the dash strap that is supposed to be connected to the screw left of the steering column, under the fuel gauge. I don't seem to find one there, or anywhere. Ugh. I did have to replace the driver's side main light last week and everything was working fine so not sure why they both dropped out at the same time. Any clues?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another headlights puzzler
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 20, 2017 05:51PM

First get a volt meter!!

Check for power at the dimmer switch.... new switch may be bad!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 20, 2017 07:09PM

Or, the connector at the headlight dimmer may be faulty.
I'd use a simple probe style test light, as it requires a bit of current to run the incandescent bulb, so it will show a problem with a marginal connection that a volt meter won't!
I've measured voltage on a circuit with a meter as being present, but when a connection is required to pass current it drops out.

Anyway, I'd sure check that foot switch, then also check that bulkhead connector out in the upper drivers side of the trunk wall.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Bogey72 ()
Date: October 20, 2017 07:27PM

I have a monza 65, mine had strange light issues, dash lights and gas gauge would not function while headlights turned on. Mine turned out to be the grounding screw missing under steering column. Once i replaced that nice and tight, everything worked.

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, PG
Owner since August 2013

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: October 20, 2017 09:43PM

Reading the first post it seems that the Dimmer Switch (the one on the floor) is probably bad. confused smiley

The "Dash Ground" IS provided by a screw on the LEFT of the steering column! Left in this case means the side your left arm is on when sitting behind the steering wheel. It is NOT under the Gas Gauge! It is under the Speedometer. eye popping smiley

BTW the Dash Ground has nothing to do with the Headlight operation. The Headlight Switch sends +12 Volts to the Dimmer Switch. The Dimmer Switch switches it between the Low Beam and High Beam wires leading to the headlights through the multi-pin connector behind and above the Parking Brake handle.

Over the years I have had two Dimmer Switches fail and one multi-pin connector not seated correctly!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: October 21, 2017 12:40AM

Assume "no go" means no headlights / push dimmer switch once and get all 4 - high beams repeat etc.

I would vote dimmer switch, also. But, all the other suggestions are valid.

Since I am an electrical idiot, I would try replacing the headlight you replaced (assumption low beam) with another.

RE Dash ground strap: You will not "see" it unless you remove the dash. It is a 3/8" strip of metal that is part of the metal back of the gauge cluster. Well, a contortionist might be able to see it if all the dash screws are removed and you "pry" the lower part of the dash out and look with a flashlight.

As stated , it is for the dash lights / gauges - not the headlights.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 21, 2017 03:29AM

Another thig to try would be the multi-connector at the rear of the trunk at the firewall. Sometimes just flexing them back and forth will do it.
If you suspect the dimmer switch you can remove the plug and use a jumper wire to check.
As stated above, lots of weird stuff can happen if the instrument panel isn't getting a good ground.
Your symptoms do sond like the dimmer switch and it's sad that new parts are not up to the quality of the originals.
There's a headlight relay in the trunk that could be a suspect. Just follow the wires to find it, a little silver box.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: October 21, 2017 05:08AM

That silver relay is the horn relay.

Ed
Hillsborough, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 21, 2017 05:42AM

Oops, sorry I wasn't thinking clearly. Electrical is not one of my strong suits.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: October 21, 2017 09:41AM

Can the floor switch be rebuilt? Mine does a similar thing, Press for HB and the dash light go out!

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 21, 2017 10:20AM

Rebuild.. for $6 at your FLAPS???

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 21, 2017 10:38AM

BobV66Vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can the floor switch be rebuilt? Mine does a
> similar thing, Press for HB and the dash light go
> out!

That does not make sense.

The dimmer switch is just a rotary switch to "toggle" between low and high beams.

I would check the wiring / connector at the headlight switch - plus the pins on the headlight switch.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 21, 2017 11:12AM

MattNall Wrote:
> Rebuild.. for $6 at your FLAPS???

Modern made in China headlamp switches are junk in my opinion. I have replaced the one on my 1962 for the past 3 years with the "lifetime" warranty at my big box auto parts store. Found a NOS one on ebay, and no more problems, like driving home in the dark with only high beams.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: October 21, 2017 11:13AM

I don't know about Corvai dimmer switches, BUT on Kaisers they stick through the floor and exposed to the, road dirt and splash. Also, I attached the wires to the switch and then cove the connection with a "silacone blob.'

Date: October 21, 2017 12:12PM

curt Wrote:
> I don't know about Corvai dimmer switches, BUT on
> Kaisers they stick through the floor and exposed
> to the, road dirt and splash. Also, I attached
> the wires to the switch and then cove the
> connection with a "silacone blob.'

Corvair dimmer switches are inside - unless the floor is rotted out or the windshield leaks.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 21, 2017 12:37PM

Wet shoes are detrimental to any dimmer switch, but most Vair's aren't driven in wet weather nowadays. However if you get condensation on the windows inside, them meatloaf parts, like the dimmer switch, will also have condensation.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.